Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Ready to buy 1100S but . . . . .
beedub
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm Reply with quote

I'm curious about passenger comfort. I've been trying to find a bike that's fun for me, and comfortable enough to do some weekend getaways w/ the wife.

Based upon everything I've read, the fun for me won't be a problem, but just wanna be sure, based on the incredible amount of experience on this site, that this bike will be comfy for her. My wife is 5'9" tall, and part of what led to the multi was the fact that the passenger pegs are set quite a bit lower than on most sport tourers. We've ridden the VStrom, and it works . . . the multi looks pretty comparable for passenger accomodations.

Just looking for the nod from a few of you who have been there, done that . . . . lemme know what you think, and fill me in on which of the aftermarket seats seem to be best.

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Motodisiac
MTS: 2007 1100S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Brian,

Classic Multi is a little behind V-Strom in passenger comfort, but not that far. Multi passenger seat is a bit higher so your 5'9" passenger will be out in open air quite a lot. Make sure she has nice helmet and earplugs, and you are set. And the fun.... well, let's say you will have plenty Smile

D.

beedub wrote:
I'm curious about passenger comfort. I've been trying to find a bike that's fun for me, and comfortable enough to do some weekend getaways w/ the wife.

Based upon everything I've read, the fun for me won't be a problem, but just wanna be sure, based on the incredible amount of experience on this site, that this bike will be comfy for her. My wife is 5'9" tall, and part of what led to the multi was the fact that the passenger pegs are set quite a bit lower than on most sport tourers. We've ridden the VStrom, and it works . . . the multi looks pretty comparable for passenger accomodations.

Just looking for the nod from a few of you who have been there, done that . . . . lemme know what you think, and fill me in on which of the aftermarket seats seem to be best.

Thanks in advance!

Brian

12 Multistrada 1200 Pikes Peak - Commute, Adventure, Light Dirt, Track, Fun

08 Multistrada 1100S - Scrambler / Supermoto project

05 Honda CRF450X - Real dirt fun
samieb
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Some friends of mine rode to WDW2010 and they are both 5.8 or taller on a Multi, they both agreed that it was the only bike with reasonable comfort to do that kind of trip (3500miles round trip).

You can always buy a spare set of seats and get them custom made for more comfort and they may even lower the seating position a little too. The Passenger (Sharon) stated that it was great to be able to see what was happening without having to peer over her boyfriends shoulders.

Sharon wears ear plugs also.

Rider is 6.2
Passenger is 5.8/9.

Hope this helps.
beedub
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys . . . the last thing I want to do is pull the trigger on one and then have her complain the whole time we're riding!

She already thinks I've made up my mind on the Multi because it's the bike "I" want! (She's right, by the way!)

We haven't had the chance to test ride one, and my local Duc shop won't allow passengers on test rides anyway, so I'll be making this purchase a little blind.

She'll be OK "in the wind", as we've ridden sport bikes and we both wear full-face helmets & ear plugs.

I'm looking at 2 used '08s . . .one has the Corbin seat, and one has the DP gel seats. I certainly like the look of the DP seat better, but the Corbin sure looks comfy!
bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote

My .02 cents worth on the DP seat: looks nice and good for around town, not so great for longer distances(I add an Airhawk cushion for that) and the gel gets/stays hot in the sun. So I park in the shade or put a towel over the seat on hot sunny days.
mb10039
MTS: 2009 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote

I have the DPs on mine. I think the driver seat sucks for anything over 150 miles, but wife has sat on the back for over 400 with no complaint. She likes the DP. Says she is comfy and slides around less than the stock.
But you never want to leave them exposed to direct sunlight, you will get a scalded ass!!

She is 5-4 and can sit on the back all day long. Comfort and wind has never been a problem for her. OTOH, she still can't tell the difference between the 620 and the 1100S!! Smile

Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Pull the trigger on the 1100s. You will love it!!! Then spend some money on a custom seat for your comfort and hers. This bike has soul, something other bikes that are simular lack. Sex on wheels (if you get the red one only). If she still is not happy get a second bike that she likes riding and keep the multi for blasting one up through the world!

Bottom line, this is the bike you will regret not buying.

ATGATT+AIR!!!
ducatidesigns

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 pm Reply with quote

You might ping "Habanero" (Scott Mantz) on this forum. A while back, he was making a nifty backrest to replace the grab handle on older Multis. Also, you might be interested in the grippy adjustable foot pegs we offer on www.ducatidesigns.com. The stock pegs are really slippery when wet, not a confidence builder for a passenger! Our peg sets allow you to get some leg extension and more comfortable, confident footing.

Good luck, enjoy the ride!

pg
DD

Mattel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote

[quote="ducatidesigns"]You might ping "Habanero" (Scott Mantz) on this forum. A while back, he was making a nifty backrest to replace the grab handle on older Multis. Also, you might be interested in the grippy adjustable foot pegs we offer on www.ducatidesigns.com. The stock pegs are really slippery when wet, not a confidence builder for a passenger! Our peg sets allow you to get some leg extension and more comfortable, confident footing.

Good luck, enjoy the ride!

pg
DD[/quote]

You can also file the face of the pegs for more grip. I have seen that done. I also have a nice set of adjustable foot pegs that will allow you to raise, lower, move them to the front or back by about 1.5" they also have a better grip surface. My favorite are the black rubber coated dp pegs that look like the stock with a great rubber coating. I run these now.

ATGATT+AIR!!!
beedub
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Man, you guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the feedback!

I stumbled on the adjustable pegs and thought that was a great solution, so will probably be adding a set of those.

I just pulled the trigger on a black '08. It already has the Corbin saddle . . . i don't love the look of the Corbin, but it sounds like it's really comfortable.

The only thing this one doesn't have that I will want to add soon is a top box, so I'll be researching those soon.

I'm hoping that I'll love this bike, and so will my wife. I have an 848 for ripping up the backroads and doing trackdays, but from all I've read, it sounds like this bike may end up being my favorite backroad burner!
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:25 am Reply with quote

Good dp gel no good! My exhusband spent thousands of miles on the back( he never rode a bike) the Multi for him had lots leg room at 5ft 9 inch, he found multistrada more comfortable than bandit 1200...often on 3000 mile trips

Crazy Threadz
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote

I am 5 ft 9.5 and have ridden 500+ mile days MANY times as passenger - I have tried several seat options and finally decided the dp was the best for me.... I do like being able to see over hubbys head, BUT...it does get kinda windy at times also...double edged sword there Im afraid.

We love our Multi, and even tho I am now riding my own Duc now...I still enjoy riding on back of our Multi...she is so nimble & can handle just about anything....you wont regret getting one ! Enjoy, hope you have years of fun on your new toy !!

2007 Moto Guzzi Norge SOLD
2009 Royal Enfield G5 Deluxe SOLD
2011 Ducati Monster 796 (SOLD)
beedub
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote

Well, got the DP seat installed and have been able to put a few miles on . . . . so far, so good! Wife says it's OK, as we've just done a couple of 1hr or 1 1/2 hr stints. As long as she's not squirming or complaining, we're good!

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

There's no doubt that I am really gonna like this bike! I grew up on dirtbikes and this thing feels like a big dirtbike to me, and it handles the twisties better than my 848! Oh, and the motor is fantastic!

On the list now are a ZG screen, rack and small top case, some grippier pegs, a "racing" fuel cap for easier access, and some tech specs for the tank . . . . what am I forgetting???
wasserboxer
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote

My wife is 5'9" as well and she absolutely can't say enough about the solid feel and comfort level when we ride. The farthest stint that we have done is ~ 345 miles in one day. That's saddled down with cases and all. No problems for pilot or passenger. Good luck.