Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200 S Touring Vs. Concours 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Congrats and good call on the titanium, I really like that color. It looked like you've owned a succession of 4 cylinder bikes, did the Duc twin appeal to you right off the bat? I've got a buddy with a similar background of bikes to you and he just can't ride twins after all his fours.

I had a vstrom 650 for while, didn't care for that motor. I had a v four in the vfr, that was a sweet motor, but yes I've had a few inline 4's. The vtwin is obviously different than what I'm used too, and it will take some time for me to get used to it. I did like the 1198 motor pretty much right off the bat though.

They did not have enough time to finish prep, but I will be picking it up tomorrow!

cobrat
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 pm Reply with quote

That flat grey is mean looking! I guarantee you will love the performance. Enjoy!

MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
bonefish wrote:
Saw it from the start Cool Welcome, your going to end up being a daily visitor to this site Laughing One thing that was not mentioned during the top box discussion was the comfort and confidence it adds for you pillion. You must be in western KY if you need to ride to good roads Cool We love eastern KY and travel through on our trips to Indy. Enjoy

I'm in North central KY. 22 miles north of Louisville. There are good roads to ride at a relaxed pace, but for a sport biker, you have to go east to Falmouth and ride 22, 165, 1504, etc.. It's about 1.5 hours one way for me to get to those roads.

All the other decent roads are too short, only a mile or two of good sections.

But that's coming from the attitude of riding a sport bike. The sport tour thing opens up all kinds of possibilities. No longer do I have to find constant switchbacks to ride because the rolling stuff is too uncomfortable.

CADRE (Cincinnati Area Ducati Riders) rides those roads every Saturday morning starting in May, meeting at the AA Highway Shell (or you could meet us in Falmouth, we stop there for lunch). Trust me, that 90 minutes will flow by, especially if you can find a 2-lane route Wink

2010 1200S Touring
04 1000DS, lowered with RaceTech and Ohlins (gone, but you never forget your first...)
The Duchess of Desmo
MTS: 2011 1200 (White)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote

No try no buy!

ducowner
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote

ducdoug wrote:
It was inevitable...congratulations!

So true!
zemurray
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote

drdave39 wrote:

CADRE (Cincinnati Area Ducati Riders) rides those roads every Saturday morning starting in May, meeting at the AA Highway Shell (or you could meet us in Falmouth, we stop there for lunch). Trust me, that 90 minutes will flow by, especially if you can find a 2-lane route Wink

I may hook up with you guys some time. Probably won't ride out there a lot as I've done it for years and will be looking to ride some new places. That's what is great about this bike is that I'll be comfortable and having fun no matter where I go! Not so on sport bike
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
I'm in North central KY. 22 miles north of Louisville. There are good roads to ride at a relaxed pace, but for a sport biker, you have to go east to Falmouth and ride 22, 165, 1504, etc.. It's about 1.5 hours one way for me to get to those roads.

But that's coming from the attitude of riding a sport bike. The sport tour thing opens up all kinds of possibilities. No longer do I have to find constant switchbacks to ride because the rolling stuff is too uncomfortable.

Don't feel too bad, I live at least 5 hours from any decent curvy roads. Riding my cbr locally got to where it wasn't any fun, much less challenging, unless I was wringing it's neck out, and eventually even that wasn't too thrilling. So I sold the cbr, and next thing I knew the new owner had lowered it and put an extended swingarm on it. Pretty much ruined a decent little sportbike, but what the hell. The 1200 is a lot more fun to ride around here, it is certainly more comfortable, and it will still haul ass in the curvy roads every bit as good as any sportbike.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
mercury
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote

You really stirred the hornets nest with this one!

My two cents: I came from a similar background as you i.e. Sport bikes. I have driven the Concours. Great bike, but ...

Pay attention to the seating. On the Duc, you will be able to extend your legs, you will not be as tucked up as you are on the Kawie. This translates into miles. I have found I can do big mile days on the Duc. Easy to do 11 to 1200 km days. Have done as much as 1800 kms in a day (long day!) I have the air cooled, but I am sure this is also true of the water cooled.
drdave39

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote

Zen-

so true. I have friends in the Asheville area-I take an 8 hour route through the Kentucky back roads to get there, then am fresh to tackle NC mountains the next day. Try that on a sportbike (at least if you're over 30 Mad )

Enjoy the ride.

Dave

2010 1200S Touring
04 1000DS, lowered with RaceTech and Ohlins (gone, but you never forget your first...)
zemurray
MTS: 2012 1200S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Quiting time can't get here quick enough today Laughing

I haven't been this excited about picking up a new bike in a long time.

WERA Ex #696
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote

zemurray wrote:
Quiting time can't get here quick enough today Laughing

I haven't been this excited about picking up a new bike in a long time.

Tick, tock, tick, tock... Wink

bonefish
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote

mollycbr123 wrote:
zemurray wrote:

Don't feel too bad, I live at least 5 hours from any decent curvy roads. Riding my cbr locally got to where it wasn't any fun, much less challenging, unless I was wringing it's neck out, and eventually even that wasn't too thrilling. So I sold the cbr, and next thing I knew the new owner had lowered it and put an extended swingarm on it. Pretty much ruined a decent little sportbike, but what the hell. The 1200 is a lot more fun to ride around here, it is certainly more comfortable, and it will still haul ass in the curvy roads every bit as good as any sportbike.

You guys complaining about decent roads make my ass twitch Cool
Try livin in Flatistan where some of the most exciting roads to be had are on & off ramps Shocked Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote

bonefish wrote:
mollycbr123 wrote:
zemurray wrote:

You guys complaining about decent roads make my ass twitch Cool
Try livin in Flatistan where some of the most exciting roads to be had are on & off ramps Shocked Mr. Green

Not much better around here in central NC. I have a buddy that will spend hours on a figure 8 exchange off I-95 near here, doing nothing but riding up and down the entrance and exit ramps over and over again.

ducdoug
MTS: 2011 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Actually we do have some good roads over here in the west central part of the state. We just don't tell anyone about them... Smile