Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Is this 1000DS a good bet?
Renevator
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys

I didn't expect to be here so soon, as I'm not entirely ready to buy a Multi, though I've quite fancied having one for a while. It was only when I saw the local Italian police on them whilst on holiday that I thought I should speed up the ownership possibilities Mr. Green

I know I should take my time and find just the right one, which seems to point at a late 1100s wit all the Ohlins goodies etc, but a £6000 bike will be way out of reach for some time.

SO, I was casually browsing and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...atchlink:top:en

It seems pretty good value for what it is, or am I missing something?
The belts were done some 5000miles ago (can't recall what intervals they should be done at, but I assume they're ok for a few more miles yet), and the owner reckons it benefits from the billet clutch, but I'd like to get a general knowledgeable opinion if I may. Of course I need to check the condition thoroughly to be sure, and also consider things like tired old fork oil & possible knackered shock, but is there anything else major I should be wary of, or does it indeed look like the bargain it seems to be?

Cheers

Great site by the way
atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote

Hmm, 19k miles. At 19k, here is what I recall changing on my '04:
-new chain and sprockets at 17k, so if they have not been changed yet they soon will be due, even with an oiler.
-steering head bearings (ball) were shot around 21k IIRC, changed to needle bearings.
-changed fork oil at 20k. Make sure you increase the air gap to 140mm and lower the weight to 5wt (IIRC, search for threads to confirm values), it makes a huge difference.

There is a small possibility it will need one or both exhaust valve guides done at some point. Ducati did warranty replacements for these as needed.

Its nice he did the clutch already. My original clutch lasted 35k miles, FWIW.

Nice looking pipes, I don't recall if the remus system needed ECU remap to run well? Worth a search in the forums.
imnala
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Looks very nice sounds good too started first go some extras i'd buy it. But try to knock him down a bit..... Whistle you never know may get £100-£200 off.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote

Thanks atwood, some helpful points there. Think I might be expecting too much at this price, but will check with the owner re valve guides. Will do a search on the remap for pipes too, didn't think of that. Cheers.
Imnala - It sounded ok to me too, but being used to a jap V4 I'm nervous about not really knowing what I'm listening for - sure these V wins will sound way different, but there didn't seem to be any worrying noises, and as you said, it started first prod - if that's take one of course Mr. Green
adb
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote

I wouldn´t hesitate to purchase that bike. It also has an upgraded sidestand, like I did with my ´04. It has a few extras, and it appears to be a mature owner. Even with 19K miles, that´s a good price. My ´04 had 26K miles, and I paid $5,500CDN. I´d buy it. If you can test ride it, that would be the icing on the cake.
Markusdrako
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Few things to consider. If the belts were done 2 years ago, then they will need doing soon. The clutch job is worth thinking about, its a good modification and adds value, the Remus exhaust will only work well with the correct ECU, if not loads of noise (nice though) and rubbish mpg and low speed rough running.
It is a good price and the seller seems to be of sound mind.
As with any machine with age and mileage, things will have wear, you need to be sure you are buying correctly as it can cost to replace/repair.
You are in Shrewsbury ? - if you want to come and see mine give me a ring I can give you a few pointers as to what to watch for.
nav18tor
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:06 pm Reply with quote

My 2004 is for sale, same colour but with less miles (about half)

Is fitted with Termigoni's and matching ECU and airbox

Gel seat, hand gaurds, hugger, front mudguard extender, double bubble Zero Gravity screen

Does not need belts for another year, will have a years MOT when I get around to MOT'ing it, still taxed

New Pirelli's less than 1000 miles ago

Looking for a bit more money, but I think it's money well spent at £3100

Has full history, 3 keys including red, code card, and will throw in some other goodies I have accumulated

Have a full pannier set, but they would be extra

http://www.pureholidayhomes.com/coimbra-...gal-p32294.html
adb

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Exactly right... any bike with some miles will need repair, guaranteed. But, it beats the hell outta $20,000 plus for a new MTS. It´s part of the game, and the upside is, you get to know your bike, and it´s an excellent way to spend some time. I love mucking with my bike, and I kinow it´s done right. Fixing is almost as satisfying as riding.
rickityrick

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote

No mention of valve clearance check/adjust, just a bit of patter re plugs oil and belts. Valve check on a DS1000 is every 6200 miles or 10,000 k according to the Ducati service schedule.

You could miss one, seems as though this bike may have missed 2 or worse 3. It costs a lot to get done at a dealer, tank off etc.

Finding out the history is easy, your local Duc dealer will be able to pull any service work off the computer system that has been done by any main duc dealer. Most owners get at least the 1st service done by Ducati approved Dealers.
Renevator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys, sorry not replied to your input - work duties. I think I'm going to have to wait a while to get a Multi now - plans to get my bike fixed up & traded in are way behind - slight cash flow hiccup, unplanned expenses - you know how it is - bummer. From all the comments, and looking closer at service costs and schedules, I reckon I'd be much better off waiting until I've got my current bike sold, saved up a wee bit more and got something with less miles and a full service history. I made the same mistake a while back when I bought a rougue Falco, in a mad hasty decision to buy. Great bike but it had so many initial problems i really put me off. I really do need to take a more considered approach, but bikes are a bit of a passion purchase aren't they Mr. Green
Thanks for the heads up on yours nav18tor - looks like a great deal, and from the little I know a good price, but unfortunately I'll have to pass right now, though if it's still with you later in the year I'll defo consider it - though I'm sure it will shift pretty soon.
I'm still very keen to get a Multi, so it would be very useful to come & see yours Markusdrako, thanks for the offer, and benefit form first hand wisdom on what to look out for, for when I'm eventually ready to buy - if life doesn't throw another googly & mess up my hastily cobbled together plans. Is it me, or does anybody else behave like this - one minute you're happy to stick with your current bike for a couple of years, the next your scouring the classifieds like you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. Mind you, it only seems to be Italian bikes that seem to have that effect on me.
Think - I wonder why Mr. Green
ganashev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote

Is there someone that can tell what is the difference between the 03-04 model and the one of 05, according ducati.com the 03-04 is 84 hp but the 05 is 92hp? Rolling Eyes
Tornadonorm
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote

adb wrote:
I wouldn´t hesitate to purchase that bike. It also has an upgraded sidestand, like I did with my ´04. It has a few extras, and it appears to be a mature owner. Even with 19K miles, that´s a good price. My ´04 had 26K miles, and I paid $5,500CDN. I´d buy it. If you can test ride it, that would be the icing on the cake.

What is this upgrade to the 03 side stand? I've looked at the later versions and they look different, ie different bracket, which doesn't look like it would fit mine.Mine leans at such a crazy angle I have tie wrapped a block of wood under the foot, or is there a stand from another model which those in the know use?
Pug-Nose
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote

ganashev wrote:
Is there someone that can tell what is the difference between the 03-04 model and the one of 05, according ducati.com the 03-04 is 84 hp but the 05 is 92hp? Rolling Eyes

I'm pretty sure the power is more or less the same, but the way of measuring horsepower was changed. If someone could elaborate I'd appreciate.
Mattel
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote

Pug-Nose wrote:
ganashev wrote:

I'm pretty sure the power is more or less the same, but the way of measuring horsepower was changed. If someone could elaborate I'd appreciate.

Duel spark. With 2 spark plugs it has more power. Plus, they used a black 03-4 to measure, and a red 05!!!!!! Whistle

ATGATT+AIR!!!