Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Can it handle it?
James in VA
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,

I am not an owner, so far a researcher. I am going for a test drive today on the Strada. But my question is more for riders and not the dealer.

I officiate bicycle races, yup, the human powered kind. My fun comes from officiating from a motorcycle. I used to own a BMW K1200RS. I have different assignments at the races. Sometimes official, marshall, carry shooters (photographers) or carry VIP's.

My question has to do with overheating and voltage. During bicycle races, sometimes I have to go only 25mph for long periods of time in the heat of the summer. Not sure if anyone has done this, but has anyone had any overheat issues with normal use? Also, has anyone added a couple of accessories like heated vest and GPS with issues on the alternator?

Do you think there can be a aftermarket radiator attached?

During a race day, the bike will be run for 8 hrs. The BMW handled it great, but I have the Duc fever. Please let me know if you had any issues or know of anyone.

Thanks for any input
James
Sparkin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Hmm..... Aircooled only I`m afraid, no chance of a rad` on one of these.Big V twins are not the nicest of bikes to ride slowly about town,the heavy clutch might make your hand ache after eight hours and the engines can seem a bit lumpy low down.
I would get a good test ride and decide for yourself,good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:06 pm Reply with quote

My wife is a cyclist and photographer and we have thought about doing some cycling photography from a motorcycle. I have a BMW R80RT and MTS. In my mind there is no question that I would use the BMW, but it has nothing to do with cooling. The MTS simply cannot be ridden that slow. It hates it. Even in first you would be constantly working the clutch, especially on climbs. If you insist on doing this I would recommend that you consider changing the final drive ratio.

Tim
jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:38 pm Reply with quote

I gotta agree with Tim. I have a number of BMWs I've done bike races on. I would NOT want to use the Duc for that. I did one race here in CO that started at about 9K feet and went to 14K. 1st gear all the way (uphill the entire race). You know what the answer is of course....Get the Duc and KEEP the BMW too!