Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Purchase Advice
RIP
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Hi there, I just joined the site. Great to see so many MS enthusiasts out there! I'm the current owner of a 2007 BMW F800s and I'm considering purchasing a 2009 MS 1100s that I've just come across. I've yet to ride it but hope to do so this weekend. Before doing so I have some questions I'd like to get your input on. First, I really do love my F800s but on a recent weekend road trip I found myself thinking I may be more comfortable on a bike with a more upright riding position - something I would be comfortable on riding longer distances over several days, yet versatile enough to just ride around town while still being able get a thrill from an exhilarating ride. The reason I'm interested in the MS 1100s is because I "think" it may be just the bike to satisfy all my needs. How well is the bike suited for long distance travel? Is comfort an issue? I'm disappointed the MS doesn't have heated grips or a throttle lock for highway driving like the BMW although I suppose both of these features might be available as aftermarket products. I'm also wondering if the $9100 price tag is reasonable for a 2009 model with over 24K kilometers on it. Is 24K kilometers a lot for this bike. How many kms can I expect to get out of the engine? Your thoughts would be appreciated... that's all for now. I definitely have more questions, but think I will leave it there for now. Thanks for your help!
DFO
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote

RIP

Welcome aboard. Perhaps people are hesitant to comment on some of your questions because comfort on a motorcycle is so subjective. What one rider considers comfortable another may find torturous. However, a lot can be accomplished with after market seats, handlebars, risers, pegs, windscreens, etc. I have certainly modified the two bikes that I have owned. Be aware though that actual Ducati accessories for the aircooled Multis are hard to come by as they have put their attention toward the newer 1200 model. The bike is definitely a thrill to ride and can eat up long distances easily if you are comfortable in the saddle. There are plenty of members here with impressive km's on the odometer. I only got my '08 this spring and joined this forum which has been invaluable. Take some time and explore with the search function and begin your education.

What I can tell you is that north of the border here the $9100 asking price for a 2009 is in fact reasonable and even better than some examples I came across when I was looking. Each bike of course has to be judged on its individual condition and your assessment of the current owner. If time is not an issue then perhaps try looking south.

Best of luck.

Dan