Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Ducati factory direct purchase of 2013 Multistrada GT
mordibe
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote

Live in Perth Australia and currently own a `09 MTS1100s.

Want to buy the 2013 GT model but would also like to take it touring in Europe possibly with the organized rally for Multistradas?
So instead of buying the new model in Perth and then shipping it to Europe why not go to the Ducati factory where they are built and buy one there? Then enjoy the touring around Europe then shipping the bike back to Perth, Western Australia?

Has anyone on this forum done anything similar to this? What issues am I likely to face if I try this?
Are Australian compliant bikes built at the factory in Italy then shipped to Aus. ready for sale?
If you can choose which dealer to buy from, surely you could choose which country?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated and surely would be of interest to other members of this forum?

Chris
2009 Multistrada 1100s
Perth, Western Australia
Dukerdr
MTS: 2006 620 (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Different companies have had "Buy and drive in Europe" plans in the past. VW and M-B come to mind.

You had to buy the vehicle through your local dealer at home, then schedule the pickup at the factory.

Of course this was a long time ago, because I'm officially an old fart according to my wife.

. Laughing

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote

G'day mordibe

Try and talk to Aussie Multistrada on this forum. He joined us at the EMM this year and although already owning a MTS12 he found buying another one in Europe (lucky b*****!) to be more cost effective than renting one or shipping his out from Aus.

Mr. Green
Booney

70’s Velo Solex 3800s
12 Giant Trance
13 Canyon Nerve
Kirky
MTS: 2010 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Booney wrote:
G'day mordibe

Try and talk to Aussie Multistrada on this forum. He joined us at the EMM this year and although already owning a MTS12 he found buying another one in Europe (lucky b*****!) to be more cost effective than renting one or shipping his out from Aus.

Mr. Green
Booney

And the German dealer is storing it for him and very little cost until he returns to play in Europe and attend the EMM2013 in Portugal. As Booney says, he is a very lucky boy!

Current Bike - MTS1200ABS,
Marin East Peak, Santa Cruz Tallboy
Last Bikes - MTS1000, Duc 996, RG500
mordibe
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Will have a chat with the dealer here in Perth about the Euro buy but won't hold my breath for anything positive regarding that solution?

Aussie Multistrada, yep read his story on the EMM, looks interesting and worth following up.
Being a family man with the responsibilities (financially) that entails, owning multiple bikes around the world and then flying out to ride them is a little out of my reach Sad
Still do have good mates back in UK that could store a bike so worth pursuing. As I understand to avoid importing duties here in AUS you can buy a vehicle overseas but must have owned it for a year.