Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: What's the final conclusion on tank problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:
Keener,

My $1,000 figure is parts and labor. Chris has estimated about $650 for the tank. Then, several hours installing at $100/hour at your local Ducati dealer (that is the going rate at Ducati Austin). Throw in some shipping expense and you at $1,000.

Mark

Doh i see yer point.....
keener

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
2hlwf8
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:20 am Reply with quote

LeoLegendatl wrote:

I don't think you can get a new tank without swapping the old one. Ducati NA won't comply at least that's my understanding.

m-johnson wrote:
Leo,
That is my understanding from the Austin dealer on the tank swap out. You cannot walk out of the dealership with the new tank or the old, swollen tank.
Mark

Not to jack the thread Embarassed

Fingers crossed, DNA does not need to know. All they need to know is that the old one is coming back. If i have to negotiate with the service dept to get them to install the CCW version... i have two local dealers, i'm keeping the faith. =]

... and yeah, the class action solution is ridiculous. C'est la vie.

MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote

You are on the right track - have to get the service dept. to play ball with you. Maybe a bottle of his/her favorite adult beverage. I have done that before to repay a "hook up".

Mark
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote

m-johnson wrote:
You are on the right track - have to get the service dept. to play ball with you. Maybe a bottle of his/her favorite adult beverage. I have done that before to repay a "hook up".

Mark

Whistle Clap Shh Smile

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote

I don't know who wrote this, but it showed up in my email today from the ducatiplastictanks yahoo group. Looks like a bit of good news for those Caswell users.

Update: 4/14/2013

I've had a tank that I coated with Caswell's original coating (not the red type) since about November 2010.

That was the first tank I coated.

That bike has had about 6000 miles on it, and has sat stored with a full tank of gas ever since.

I drained the tank and removed the fuel assembly and used a fibre optic to examine the coating inside. I am looking for delamination of the coating, or any other oddness.

After looking for nearly two hours, I can't find anything that looks out of place. The coating was prepared according to Caswell's instructions.

I have since modified the coating method, but using a rinse of xylene and then reducing the mixed coating with xylene to make it easier to apply.

This seems to result in a FAR smoother application and it's much quicker, you just have to turn the tank more since the reduced mix is far more liquid.

Xylene is 100% compatible with PA6 nylon and after rinsing with solvent (water based) to remove gasoline residue, letting it dry completely (and shrink) I rinse with a very small amount of xylene.

My tank that I coated in 2010 has no measurable expansion.

__._,_.___Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Recent Activity:
Visit Your Group
Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use • Send us Feedback .

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote

keener wrote:
m-johnson wrote:
Keener,

My $1,000 figure is parts and labor. Chris has estimated about $650 for the tank. Then, several hours installing at $100/hour at your local Ducati dealer (that is the going rate at Ducati Austin). Throw in some shipping expense and you at $1,000.

Mark

Doh i see yer point.....
keener

But if he wore a hat, nobody would notice it... Smile

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
chris_k
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote

tmelesky wrote:
So, if you want something you won't need/want to pay attention to - get a Concours. A Ducati requires and rewards personal involvement

Did they fix the rusting tank problem on those? (No, I'm not making jokes...) when Cycleworks was an independent service shop and I worked as a mechanic, we had 3 connies need new tanks because the old one rusted out at the rear of the tank.

Eh?

bimmer2
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote

Hi folks

My ride is a 2006 1000DS

So. I came to a stop sign, my visor was up, and I said to myself "Hmm I smell gasoline". I said to self "No problem, somebody must have spilled some gas".

I pulled up to next stop and smelled gas again. I said to self "Whoa, must'a been a pretty good spill".

When I pulled up to the third stop, I still smelt gas. I said to self " Get off this damn thing".

Good choice, 'cus from one of the lower mid corners of the gas tank, great fat drops of gas were dripping down onto the top of the rear exhaust pipe just as it exits the head. Hottest place on the bike, I guess.

Hard to verbalize what it looked like, but imagine a perfect fat drop falling normally about 8 inches before it hits the hot surface and instantly vaporizes with a loud sizzle/pop noise.

You could count time with the sizzle/pop. It was pretty scary.

Naturally, I pulled the bike into the nearest deserted area and cut the ignition. I quickly backed away from the bike and once clear, made sure no-one approached the bike.

I know this is a bad decision, but I do that sometimes. I waited until the bike cooled, and then evaluated (poorly) the situation. I was only 10 highway minutes from home. As long as I didn't stop, the wind should blow the gas away from the pipe. Needless to say, don't try this at home kiddies.

So. I made it.

I called my local Ducati guru and after suitable swearing about the issue, we ascended to a higher level.

He suggested that I deal with a dealer for whom he had the highest regard.

I contacted them and forwarded my concerns and my photos.

The explanation that I gave them was that that the gas tank had expanded and that this was the cause of the gas leak.

I also gave them photos of the mid tank mounts which clearly showed the movement of the expanded tank.

I also forwarded copies of other requested documents (ownership, drivers licence)

At the same time that I contacted this reputable dealer, I also e-mailed Ducati North America.

Within 24 hours, Ducati (Italy) responded. They informed me that my tank was covered and that it it would arrive in 2-3 weeks. Almost at the same time my dealer confirmed the same thing.

Will continue

Last edited by bimmer2 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
bimmer2
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm Reply with quote

Two weeks later I trucked the bike to the dealer.

Throughout this whole process, everyone that I had contacted, whether by telephone or e-mail, were outstanding.

Since I wanted to ride my bike back by the scenic route, I booked a train ride to near my dealer. I called them and told them my schedule just so my bike wouldn't be buried in the back of the shop (they are crazy busy).

They offered to come and pick me up at the train station. That is about as good as it gets for customer service.

I ended up being pretty grateful for that service, as I broke on of my toes the night before I was due to go pick up the bike.

Wrapped it up, stayed barefoot as much as possible, and boots took a couple of minutes before I felt OK.

Took the scenic route home and as we met, Officer Eric was most understanding when I immediately pulled over, cut the engine, removed the helmet, and politely awaited further instructions.

They were not long in coming.

"Do you know you were doing 113 km/h?"

"No, but I wouldn't deny it"

"Do you know that the speed limit is 80 km/hr?"

"I was hoping it was 90, but I guess that still makes it speeding."

"You know I've got to give you a ticket for speeding?"

"Yes sir, this is my fault."

"By the way, what kind of bike is that?"

"Well sir, blah, blah , blah... By the way, what's your name? Oh, Eric, yeah so what's your interest in bikes?"

A half hour later the radio in Eric's squad car starts to squawk and they're looking for Eric and he has to bid me a rather speedy and over-the-legal limit farewell.

Thank you Ducati
Thank you GPbikes
Thank you Eric