Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Second guessing my Multi dream
DFO
MTS: 2009 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote

I have dreamed of owning a 2009 or earlier MTS since I first started riding and since I traveled to Italy in '07. I now have that chance but around here an '09 (the last year of the truly beautiful MTS in my meaningless opinion) still costs the same as a new Aprilia Shiver or even a nearly new Triumph street triple that would still come with warranty and lower maintenance costs. Now, I know you have to pay to play when it comes to owning a machine like a MTS but the more I read here about fuel tanks needing replacing, etc. I am suddenly questioning if I've lost my sense. Also, the only Duc dealer around has a bunch of young guys running the service department and the whole place just oozes yuppie wealth. I'm just an average joe who loves this machine and wonders about practical things like getting replacement parts for a bike that has been discontinued and replaced by a new modern wonder. Should I continue to admire the MTS from afar and put my money into something with better dealer support? Any Canadian riders have fuel tank replacement issues? Also, can anyone in the Vancouver area recommend a shop that they trust to work on their Duc other than the one big dealer? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Mattel
MTS: 2008 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote

If you want it buy it. Don't let the replacement parts be an issue. I have seen the cost of these parts drop due to more bikes being taken off the road. For the next five years I forecast that trend increasing. The price of multi parts has always been high and perfect used parts are plentiful. If you look at the fuel tank issue I have said many times it is being made out to be worse than it is. I will concede that over time it may expand to the point of needing replacement but most service departments need help even identifying the cases to even see if it is expanding. The technology exists to make replacement tanks. If not next year it will be in the next five years. Until then a bike can be modified to accept a longer tank. My bet is you will be on to your next bike before you even need one.

If you want the bike get it. Enjoy it, don't crash it! If you are concerned about sleepless nights get a honda.

Ignorance is bliss. Often we analyze an issue into something larger than it really is.

If you have the cash through in for a new tank. It will appreciate in value like all multi parts. I have parts bikes for my classic bikes. That's how the big boys do it. One day I will have one or several parts multis.

Good luck, if you get that classic it will bring a smile to your pie hole!

ATGATT+AIR!!!
Clancy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:03 am Reply with quote

Most of your concerns are not unique to where you live. I had all of the concerns. My local dealer also has the feel of a boutique store, I think it's how many Ducati dealers market themselves. I was looking at a new Tiger 800 XC, BMW 800, or a V-Strom, or a used 2008-9 Multistrada. When I went over all the pros and cons with my wife, she said the decision was simple, buy the Ducati. Surprised, I asked her why and she replied " when you were talking about thevMultistrada that's when you were the most animated and excited, don't settle"

I'm pretty decent with working on bikes and plan to learn to do my own maintainence. Parts can easily be ordered over the Internet. I invested in Ca. Cycle works tank project so the tank is no longer an issue.

I found a beautiful 2008 in Florida, flew there and rode it back. I've now put 3,000 miles on it and love it! A V-Strom may have been the more rational decision, but I will tell you, I love my Ducati.
m-johnson
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Clancy,
You have me beat. I got my '08 1100s in Feb. and have put 4k miles on it. And that is only weekend rides in the Hill Country. You got yours just last month if I remember.

This is a great bike and does a lot of things well. Good to tour on and a blast in the twisties. Mine is getting great gas mileage - mid 40s, sometimes 50 if I am not banging it hard.
I did sign up for the new CA gas tank as a long range solution to the swelling tank. My local dealer just replaced my tank under the extended US warranty program, so the new tank will sit in the garage until needed. You should look up the thread on this new tank. The buy-in ends Friday at 5:00pm pst. But if you can readily get ethenol free gasoline, should not have a tank problem.
Best of luck.

Mark
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote

I got turned to the dark side about 10 years ago, and have owned nothing but Ducati's since. I'm a regular Joe too, but there is no other motorcycle brand out there that gives me the same satisfaction of ownership and joy/excitement in riding as Ducatis do. And that is what it is all about, after all.

Nothing wrong with Aprilias and Triumphs, but if you decide to pass on the Multi, I suspect you will probably always wonder if you did the right thing.

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
kuyohtay
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote

2001 Monster 900 Metallic bought in 2005 w 900mi on it.
Rode over 9000mi in Upstate NY, most fun to customize - by
myself!
Paid $5100, sold $4000

2006 MTS 1000S bought in 2009 w 4700mi on it.
Rode over 9000mi in 7 months in CA, 200mi radias of LA, best time of my life!
Paid $6200, sold $5000

2009 MTS 1100S NEW in Oct 2011 for $13200 w 4yr warranty (Ducati)
So far over 10200mi. Engine work and exhaust by Fast-Frank Racing, Greenville SC. Over $2800 in Bling and Bang, incl FFR. I fuckin love this machine. More than wife and kids, not sure, must ride more to confirm.

Get a Duc, you have a life! 3500mi and you need tires, oil & filter. 7500mi at a Duc shop (other than dealer) for valves and you can do EVERYTHING yourself with simple tools.

All others pale. Reliability is NOT a factor, never had more than a minor problem, never left on side of road. Ducs talk to you whne you make a mistake, a little angel whispers in your ear and you know how to correct it. No fickle or numbness, (Jap bikes and Bummers respectively, respectfully).

Get one NOW and FEEL IT! Don't like it, and you can sell it for same price, no harm, no foul.

See you here again soon, you aint' goin' anywhere else!

Ed. Mr. Green Mr. Green

gkwawer
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote

I have 35000 plus miles on my 2005 MTS 1000 DS. I have rebuilt the heads, ordered a new fuel tank, had repairs done. Wife complains about costs, but I counter with her costs (typical marriage thing...), but knows I am much happier riding the beast than not riding it. It resonates in my soul and heart. The new one just didn't have the feeling for me. So I am keeping my 05 for now.

Meanwhile, riding to Beaver Creek, CO on Wednesday, wife in the cage. Planning to put 10,000 miles this year.

Get the bike. It is worth every penny!
DFO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
See you here again soon, you aint' goin' anywhere else!

How did you know?

Brought her home last week and I can't stop smiling.
macadam
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote

check willy's motorcycle in Nanaimo vanc. island
for maintenance of your multi HE IS THE MAN
kuyohtay
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:45 am Reply with quote

Welcome, enjoy this wonderful community and your Duc of course. Be safe good man!

Ed. Mr. Green

mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote

Nice looking machine. I'm sure you will love it!

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote

Congrats on the purchase!
bgone
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote

Congrats. I've been riding other bikes for a few years thinking I need something different but still have not found something to unseat me from my multi.