Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: From Triumph Tiger to Multistrada
tonic101
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 am Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and my post title suggests I'm looking to buy a Multistrada after many years on Triumph Tiger (900 & 1050.

I've never been a fan of sports bikes so in 20 years of riding my main bikes have been big Trailies. A couple of Honda Africa Twins before moving to Triumph Tigers. I'm now looking to buy a MS either 1000 or 1100 - and quite excited about it!!
I'm quite tall 6'2 and liked the riding position of the Triumph as well as the comfy seat. No doubt there will be a step up in power, but I'm also curious about the riding position, height and feel as well as its handling. Also is there anyone else who has owned both Triumph and Multistrada that could give me an opinion?

I can't really afford to go for a 1200 yet - so will either buy 1000 or 1100. From what I've read the impression I get so far is that the 2007 models onwards are the safest bang for my buck. Any opinions would be appreciated.

T
Android
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:07 am Reply with quote

Hi Tonic
if you can go for the 1100S as they have extra comfort suspension but there are some really cheap low mileage 1000's around.

have you had a ride on one ?

Andy

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Andy. I forgot to mention that frustratingly I can't ride for about 6 weeks as I'm recovering from a minor knee op so I'm doing all the research I can until I can actually get on one.

I have seen that there are 1000's out there with low mileage but have also read somewhat confusingly that it's better to go for 2005 onwards or the 1100 2007 onwards.
coman
MTS: 2013 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote

Tonic,

Andy is right, the 1100 is the later iteration of the bike and most of the niggles were addressed, along with a tad more power and torque. The 'S' version has Ohlinns suspension which is generally regarded as superior, but the standard 1100 with Marzochi/Sachs units are more than acceptable too.

I think the reference to post 2005 might be because there was a batch of earlier engines that could suffer excessive valve guide wear. The 1100 superseded the 1000 and was manufactured from 2007 to 2010.

Having said that, the 1000 is a very fine engine which the majority of owners have, and serious problems are few and far between.

MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote

I test rode a Tiger when I test rode my 1200, and found the Duc was much more comfortable, and thrilling. Never rode the 1st gen Multi's, but you may want to check out the 1200s as I'm sure there are good used examples out there for a few grand more.