Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Potential Multi owner
TAD
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote

I am looking at a 2008 1100s with 21,000 miles. The valves have been adjusted by Ducati dealer. The price on this bike is $5000, with 3 bags (black bags), bike is Red. Is this a GREAT deal or ? I have found many 1000 Multis with very very low miles for about this same money. I would appreciate some current owners input. I am coming from a Super Tenere. I have had my eye on a Multistrada for a long time.
DharmaChappell
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote

I think you will be hard pressed to beat that price on an 1100S. That being said, why is it's price so low? You might ask to see the service history and list of add-ons.

The Ohlins forks and shock should be serviced (oil and seals changed) by this mileage, DYIable but an all day job for each end. The Single Sided Swing-Arm's shaft bearings should be cleaned / greased with careful inspection of the shaft for wear.

My '07 1100S developed valve guide issues at 24,000 miles requiring a top end rebuild due to a badly warn vertical cylinder valve guide. The head was so damaged I had to replace it (RubberSideUp to the rescue with a '08 Hypermotard head) in the process totaling over $3K USD when all was said and done. Test ride it, and look for excessive exhaust smoke on deceleration. A cylinder leak down & compression test would be good to have.

What is the condition of the fuel tank? If it hasn't been replaced recently it may be in need due to Ethanol related deformity. Search this site with key work "Fuel tank". CA Cycleworks is developing a new tank for the "Classic" Multistrada bikes that will be impervious to Ethanol related issues. ~$900 when production starts.

Don't get me wrong, I adore my Multistrada, but like a willful Girlfriend, she can be a little high maintenance at times. What you get in return for your tolerance is a wonderfully eager playmate of a bike that you just can't wait to ride. You will find yourself scheming ways to play hooky from work or family just to take a 100 mike blast. She can take you to 120 MPH in no time without the pain and drama of many other bikes. Once you get imprinted by a Multistrada, other bikes will seem to be lacking something crucial.

Just my opinions and personal findings.

Perform your "Due Diligence" first, if the bike measures up, buy it before someone beats you to it, life is short!

-Dharma

moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Although I've never ridden a 1st gen, I've been on this site for 3 years and their owners love the bike. See if you can get an extended warranty on it for a decent price. Other thought, put those funds as a down payment on a new(er) 2nd gen as I can attest to how much their owners love it.
motoman
MTS: 2008 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote

I thought valve guides were a non-issue for '07 and up? Think

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote

This bike in not at a dealer so getting an extended warranty is not going to happen. If the bags were not black, and the bike red I think I would have already taken the plunge. I don't think painting the bags red will ever look right. Previous owner must have gotten a deal on the black bags.
Booney
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote

The bags can be sold/swapped/changed - more important to get a decent straight and sorted bike at a fair price imho.
Mr. Green
Booney

70’s Velo Solex 3800s
12 Giant Trance
13 Canyon Nerve
ks4hcoach
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:50 pm Reply with quote

Hey TAD,

Like Booney said, accessories can be bought/swapped, etc.......Spend your time finding a clean, well cared for bike that doesn't show signs of abuse or crashing and one with a clean title from an owner you feel is trustworthy.

Prices sounds really good if all checks out. It would probably be cheaper to sell your bags and find a red set, keeping your mounts if they are all OK, but a good bodyman could have them looking like new in red if you can't find the ones you need.

Check out other wear items carefully like brake pads, tires, chain/sprockets as these can add up to quite a lot of money, even if you replace the items yourself. Figure on double if you pay a dealer to do the work. Lots of these bikes have an aftermarket exhaust and a DP or reflashed ECU to improve the performance and take care of the lean low speed fueling. Better mirrors (FAR mirrors) and windscreen mods also are fairly common and all work to make the bike run better and provide you more comfort. Any of these upgrades would be gravy on top of a truly clean 1100S at that price though.

Good luck with your decision.

Rod
mmustaja
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote

I have a MTS 1000. I believe these 1st gen bikes are extremely reliable as a whole, the 1100 having slightly better track record (reading this forum) than the 1000 model which has had the valve guide issue, at least remarkably more of those. Other problems are minor, or they are more like features. I'd only suspect expensive problems with the tank caused by the ethanol issue, that is the same problem with any 1000 or 1100 bike.

That the bike is well kept, serviced and is not crashed are the main things. Belts every second year minimum (+mileage), valve check each year , filters, oil, and of course suspension, fork and bearings, chain and brakes as well. Basic things. This is a very simple machine this 1st gen.

TAD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote

The car lot that took this bike on trade has called the previous owner and he has the owners manual, and looking for a repair manual on disk. The bike is 4 hours from my home. I don't mind the drive to get it, I even have an enclosed trailer for the winter transport. All these possible repair/maintenance cost are just scaring me away. I am going to call the Ducati dealer in that town today and hope they know the bike and will give me info. Thanks so much for everyone's input.
ks4hcoach
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:58 pm Reply with quote

Don't let the "what ifs" scare you away! If the bike looks good and checks out well, and you don't find any major concerns (other the normal wear and tear items such as tires, chain, brake pads....these apply to ALL brands), I would jump on it. Try to talk to the previous owner who traded it in. The dealer who has it should be able to hook you up with the guy who traded it. If you come away with a good feeling go for it.

You will not find nicer performance oriented sport tourer this new for anywhere near $5000, and it has the bags as well. You can always seel them to recoup some of the cost. That setup would have cost over $15000 when new in 08. Some one took a huge hit with depreciation, but it represents a tremendous value now. You won't find a nicer engine in the motorcycle world for the intended use of these bikes. The 1100 has lots of torque as well as a very strong top end and is a sheer joy to ride.

Good luck with your selection and as always, check things out carefully.

Rod
Twotone
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote

yeah, uhm, I'm with coach,

Dr Taglioni once said (of japanese bikes) the japanese want to make an easy car, I want to make a difficult bicycle" therein lies the character of ducati's, especially two vavle Multi's

ask yourself do you want a ferrari, or Toyota?

TT

YA gunna ride, then do it on a L twin, just as the doctor ordered (Dr Tag-L-ioni that is)

MTS'08- MIA
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote

As others have alluded to, the price seems low enough that even if there is a $1000 "surprise" in the first year you will still have gotten a solid deal. Pull that trigger!
kuyohtay
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 am Reply with quote

I have an 09 1100S and flog the shit out of it. No internal work done on it. Good maintenance (as they all said) and it will run like the red headed demon you always wanted!

$5K seems low, sound like the fella (gal) needed a car and had no cash. It happens!

Check it out (like they all said) and if it's "good", GO-FOR-IT.

Anything else will be minor, life is short, living is to be relished.

Cheers! Ed.
Mr. Green Mr. Green

longrides
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote

I have a 07 1100 and love it. Bought it with 724 miles on it and now have 20000 break free miles, will be getting shocks serviced late winter plus looking at chain and sprocket replaced, plus a service before spring.

really no complaints from me, have road a super tenere once and there is no comparision between a Mlutistrada and them.

you will love the Mluti. Dance
TAD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote

Still for sale! I found out this bike has not sold. Today I requested previous owners name/number again. I spoke with Ducati dealer in the area and they said they must have previous owners ok to discuss the bike. I was asking them if the fuel tank and wire that runs through the tank had been replaced. The need vin and previous owners ok. I hope I can get this by Friday.