Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: falling for a 2005 1000ds
Goto page Previous  1, 2
keener
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote

Yeah my bad...potomacduc would know more about the selling price of used Multis than I in the USA.

$4700 would be a great/good price in Western Canada if she was true to form
AND remember if its a black one , its going to be slightly faster than any other color...
Smile
Keener

74 Z1 900
98 1200 Bandit
2015 Kawasaki Verses 1000
mentodan
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote

Yes, I think you're right.
My initial offer would have been 45, but a regular customer of the dealer had beat me to it (damn weather) and had proposed 46. So I went up to 47...Was there really another offer?...The dealer seems honest and no bullshit/blabla kind. The bike is still owned by the owner, so the dealer is making no money on this sell.

It needs TLC, but no immediate service, I have a few months before doing the belts and fork fluid. Rest of fluids is easy and can be done quickly.
Some scratches,
some rust,
new tank due to ethanol (replaced earlier), I hope this one is protected/immune,
new battery
Givy top case
2 black keys, one red, code card

That's the game anyway, and in the end, in my area, there's almost no multi around, even less with such low mileage. The contenders=
2005 $4.7k/2.4k miles --> this one
2005 $5k/ 16k miles
2007 $6.9k/ 5k miles
both in mint condition...but red, so a bit slower Smile

I guess I won't really know how good a deal until I ride it for a few months. The only thing that scares me is the valve guide issue, hopefully I have some time before that occurs, if it does.

Any input/range for insurance in the US and/or NY state Wink ?
And what do you think about how the bike finally started? to be expected? or with injection and stuff this should start faster?
Chippertheripper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote

If it had been sitting, it may have taken a try or two. The price seems about ok, but your looking at a service, probably a battery and a starter clutch spring (upgrade the wiring and found while you're at it), and whatever suspension refresh/revalve you might be doing.
And then you've gotta farkle it to your liking.
Get the vin from the dealer, and call a Ducati dealership and have them check it and see if the guides were done, or part of the recall at all.

Mine got a new tank in 2010, and it's swelled too. So just because it's been replaced doesn't mean it's aok.
Since it's winter in New England, I haven't put any miles on mine since I've finished doing all the above, so I can't promise a long and trouble free life. I have high hopes though.
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote

mentodan wrote:
Hi

2) how much do you pay for insurance ~?
I got a quote for ~$800/year from progressive (my current insurance). Friend of mine has a BMWGS1200 from 2011 and pays only $400 (liberty mutual)

It's hard to compare someone else's rates with yours as it depends on a number of things like location, age of driver, number of drivers, driving record, other vehicles or policies, coverage limits, remaining mortgage on the agent's summer home, etc., I think I paid about $600/yr on my 1100 multi, and about the same on the current 1200, full coverage. I paid $116/yr on my old cbr600, and pay $98/yr on my WR250R, liability only. These are rates for N.C., seven vehicles, four drivers with good driving records, and various policies on two separate properties, all with the same company. I'm sure some of my younger riding friends would not get the same rates I enjoy.

Shop around...

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote

When I was away from my bike for a couple of weeks on vacation, it would definitely take a few pokes at the button to get it started when I returned, so I think that's fairly normal.

As for insurance, mollycbr123 is right that it is very hard to compare, but $800 sounds like a bit on the high side to me. I have, ahem, a not completely clean record and I think I pay closer to $600 as well, living inside the Capital Beltway.
mentodan
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks guys about insurance and cold starts, this is very useful.
So $800 is definitely on the very high side.

@Chippertheripper, as mentioned in previous posts, dealer checked the VIN and it seems this one is not part of the recall for the guides etc. But I would not bet anything based on that. Sure looks like a lottery to me.
About the tank, I thought when replaced under warranty, they were putting a tank that's specifically designed (material) to avoid ethanol swelling...if not, what's the point??...
I checked the tank and could not find signs of swelling, the gap along the saddle looked regular/ok...but what do I know. What's a sure way to know before buying?
mentodan
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:11 pm Reply with quote

another questions: when doing the belts, the bearings putting the belt under tension need also to be replaced.
Is that correct?
How do you call these parts?
where do you guys get these parts, belts+bearings?

thanks!
Chippertheripper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote

The warrantee tanks are no different than the originals. So, unless it was coated, it's going to swell also. Often you'll not detect anything visually, but when you try and take the tank off for service, that's when it'll become apparent.
Is this bike at a Ducati dealer, or a used wholesaler? I meant to call a Ducati dealer with the vin. They're the only ones who can instantly look up the history.
ks4hcoach
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote

Hi Mentodan,

The fixed and movable cam belt tensioner bearings don't have to be replaced at every belt change. Check both bearings to make sure they roll smoothly and freely, without any binding, roughness, excessive drag, or looseness. As long as these are in good shape, no need to replace them. IF the bike has set outside much, I would be more suspect, but still at the low miles on the bike they should be fine.

For part numbers, names, etc., you can go to Ducati of Omaha and bring up the parts manuals for the bike to get the info you need.

Good luck with your purchase. I really like my Multis.

Rod
mentodan
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the cam belt tensioner bearings, and the web site for parts number!

still crappy weather, so haven't picked up the bike yet.......
mentodan
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote

Hi,

Mr. Green Mr. Green
Finally picked it up last Saturday, sunshine and 47F! lasted long enough to ride it back home. 1st impressions are really good. It's black and it's fast(er). More comments later.
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Bad stuff I noticed right away:
_useless mirrors but above all
_poor rain/road grime protection: incomplete front fender, nothing on the rear. I know about rear shock sock, but not only the shock needs protection.

I've been searching a lot here, but it seems all available fender extenders or rear hugger do a poor or incomplete job, they do not cover enough the tires to really keep rain and other road grime away from engine, rear shock, and rider.
Is that really the best available or have I missed the better product? I don't care for carbon or other bling stuff, just good old functional cheap solid plastic!

thanks
Twotone
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote

congrats, mirrors are a plenty in the aftermarket, search for "FAR" mirrors,

A monster front guard is a good mod used here, the back half is cut and attached to existing one you should be able to search key word and see pics.

decent sized rear huggers may still be found on the internet and at times in our marketplace

TT

YA gunna ride, then do it on a L twin, just as the doctor ordered (Dr Tag-L-ioni that is)

MTS'08- MIA