Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 620? 1000? Aye, whats a lad to do?
joe camarda
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote

Very Happy Great site here! Very Happy

I thought I shook the MTS bug 2 years ago, obviously not.

Anyway I'm looking to get a MTS but cant decide between the 620 and 1000. I like the lightweight and versatility of the 620, but I am concerned that those qualities may make it "lacking" for weekend touring. By way of background I'm coming from a 96 VFR (selling for the MTS) and a 01 V11 Moto Guzzi Sport.

I can get a good deal on either model. But I'm wondering if the 1000 might be more suitable for longer freeway runs at typical speeds of 75-85 mph. Any suggestions/comments will be most appreciated.

BTW. Anyone interested in more Italian "candy" should check out www.v11lemans.com ... great site for Moto Guzzi riders.

TIA. (newbie) Embarassed Crying or Very sad Joe Camarda from Modesto CA USA
NovaCoder
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:17 am Reply with quote

Depends on lots of things Wink

Does that help Think

If you're going to be going 2-up OR carrying lots of baggage (no pun intended) then you're better off with a litre otherwise go for the baby one.

If you have the cash.....then get the big one anyway Stubborn

Give me a -> MULTISTRADA 1000 S DS Smile
mj

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote

For 1-up riding you can't go wrong with the 600, for 2-up get the 1000. I have the 600 and never wished I had the 1000.

the 600 is very happy crusing at 85-90 mph all day long

it all depends on your cash situation and who you are trying to impress Mr. Green
waypoint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote

I ended up with the 1000DS after pricing out some of the suspension mods that I'd want to do; the 1000DS already had a better (at least more adjustable) suspension. I was worried that for my size (5'4" and 140 lbs.) there would be a steep learning curve to manage it vs the 620, but it's so well balanced that I haven't really had any problems.
wogger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Joe

I've got a 1000 DS cos the wife comes with me most of the time, but I've ridden th 600 they're both great bikes in different ways, the 600 was far better in town, but fell short on top end performance onth the open road.

Only you are gonna know what you want the bike for, but make sure it's one or the other. DUCATIS RULE.

I did like the slipper type clutch on the 600.
ajenkins
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote

I have owned bigger bikes, and I think the 620 has plenty of power for touring. The 620 can break 120 mph, and is perfectly smooth cruising along at 85 to 90 mph. I wouldn't want to cruise faster than that with the wind protection on this bike anyway, even if I wouldn't be getting speeding tickets all the time. So I disagree with people who say the power is marginal on the 620, or that it's just a beginner bike.

However you won't get a big thrill just by twisting the throttle on the 620 if you're used to more powerful bikes. I've found I got bored of that thrill anyway; it's much more of a thrill to wring a bike's neck on a twisty road than to accelerate really fast. So for me the 620 is actually more fun, since it takes a little more shifting technique to keep my speed up on twisty hilly roads than with a bigger bike. The main thing I envy from the bigger MTS is the suspension. The 620 has a non-adjustable front, and no compression damping adjustment on the rear. The front happens to be reasonably setup for my weight, but I do wish I could make it plusher for riding in the city, where the roads are very bumpy, but stiffen it up when I take a trip to the mountains or a track day.
flingford
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote

You guys are helping me feel better about not getting the 1000 since I need something to aspire to. Smile Seriously, I am very happy with my 620. I'm a new rider and I don't feel like I'm going to grow out of this bike anytime soon. I also feel like it's manageable for city riding (compare to the Suzuki vStrom which is a comparable "hybrid" bike with the same CCs but is both larger and heavier).

Maybe when my hair goes silver I'll be aspiring to a BMW... Touché motorrad peeps.

Multistrada Pictures on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/groups/70092260@N00/
clockwork orange
MTS: 2005 620 (Orange)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:12 am Reply with quote

[quote="ajenkins"]anyway; it's much more of a thrill to wring a bike's neck on a twisty road than to accelerate really fast. So for me the 620 is actually more fun, since it takes a little more shifting technique to keep my speed up on twisty hilly roads than with a bigger bike. [quote]

Couldn't agree more there. I do do a fair amount of motorway riding and its fine as long as you're not wanting to do 3 figure speeds.
MrDuc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote

There's no substitute for cubic inches........

So I say: go for the big one! Wink