Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Any one tried the BMW R1150GS and Ducati Multistrada ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:48 pm Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
Not yet - in about 8 hours from as I type.

I'm looking for an interesting commuter bike, if I was sensible, I'd go for a Honda CB500 or similar, but I'm not Laughing

Off road capabilties are not important to me. Comfort, handling on slow and fast roads and good lane splitting ability and ease of parking is.

Running costs, reliability and cost of ownership is also important, this is where the GS might win, if only it wasn't so expensive in the first place. I know it is likely to retain more value. BMW dealers in and around London are not renowned for reasonable labour charges, for example Vines of Guildford charges 300-350 gbp for a major service.

I will soon know the significance between 200 and 250kg. I know it'll depend of CoG as well. The test ride should help me decide.
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:19 am Reply with quote

jim wrote:

Why did I buy the MS? Because it's FUN. For commuting and a long weekend trip, it's a blast.

To those who say the MS is "better" in handling and such, there was an article in one of the Euro mags (may have been German - but I don't think they are really biased toward the BMW), the 1150GS beat the MS in LOTS of categories, on roads that the MS was supposedly "built for".

For me, the GS is the best "all around" motorcycle.

especially german motor-press is known to be sponsored from and to be quite biased towards BMW...

The GS definitely is the better "All around" motorcycle and it is supposed to more reliable (eventhough some postings don't sound like that?)

And if having a blast and FUN is not considered while choosing a motorcycle, why considering the MS at all?

but: don't expect too many bad comments on the MS on this page, maybe you should asked the same question at some BMW-Forum. Besides, there are probably not many of us owning both of them just like Jim does. Why should he be biased? After all, it's on you to decide and you should exactly know what you want from your new bike. Don't forget: Ducatis are known as divas, and certainly not for their reliability!!

good luck, and what was the test ride like?
shoe
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:40 am Reply with quote

For the last three years my main bike has been a FZ1, a great all around bike with decent handling, comfort and “Oh My God” acceleration. I decided to sell the FZ1 because all too often I find myself doing stupid things on it (three cars, no passing zone, “no problem”, just shift down a couple of gears and whack the throttle). Also I would like a little more comfort for sport touring.

I test rode a Multistrada a couple of times and was all set to sell my FZ1 and 900 Monster to buy one. Loved the handling, maneuverability, power delivery and ergonomics (except for the seat) of the MS. But became concerned the MS was not fully sorted out yet. So about a month ago I bought a 98 R1100GS. I absolutely love it. Yes, one must be careful when moving it around because it very heavy. However, that feeling goes away once you start riding it. There is no way I would go down a twisty public road any faster on a sport bike than I do on the GS. Can’t beat the ABS, heated grips, easy to use hard bags, comfortable ergonomics and great handling of the GS for this old man (50 last May with 40 years of dirt and street riding experience). For now I am going to sell the FZ1 to pay for the GS and keep the M900. In a couple of years the Multistrada, R1200GS and KTM 950 Adventurer should be well sorted out. Then it will be time to make another decision
DaveO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:36 pm Reply with quote

You all seem to be paying a hefty price for your MTS insurance. (Or are you all naughty boys, with 9 points?!)
Have any of you tried, or indeed were you advised by your dealer to try, Ducati Insurance.
I was a long term customer with Carol Nash with my VFR800, which had been approx £295 for the last three or four years, but they couldn't get near the quote from Ducati Insurance.
In the end I have paid £300 for Fully Comprehensive cover, from Ducati.
Whether this was just a new customer come-on, I don't know, we'll see when I get next year's renewal.

Dave.

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:55 pm Reply with quote

daveo, my license is clean (afaik), bike is garaged, 1 year ncd and I'm 36 in a few weeks time. Live in the suburbs. H&R came with the best quote of 567gbp. The reason I only have 1 year is that I 've only been riding for 18 months or so.
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I spent two hours on a MTS this afternoon. Went to WS Snells in Alton, Hampshire. Helpful and friendly.

My thoughts :

1) Bike looks better in the flesh. Finish seems very nice.
2) Bike feels relatively light.
3) Easily manovarable with high bars and rear handle.
4) Standard exhaust looks brilliant, sounds boring.
5) On the move, it steers very well. suspension is a little harsh, definitely not as plush as a R1150GS. Also think the GS holds a line better through corners.
6) Got a vibromassage around 3-4000 rpm.
7) seems like a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gear
Cool Brakes did judder, light braking around 6mph.
9) Dashboard is great during the day and night, although the clock part of the lcd was faulty.
10) Engine is torquey, but not as flexible as the firestorm. Much better than the GS. May be due to the weight.
11) Gearbox feel is as poor as the GS. They are both bad, but I didn't have a problem with false neutrals.
12) Mirrors are ok, GS are better.
13) Not enough storage space.

I've asked for a price to change with the following accessories, which I think should be standard, especially the hugger.

1) Front fender extender
2) Rear hugger
3) Hand protectors
4) Heated grips
5) Rear rack

Any one have the euro or UK rrp ?

Overall I think I'll be better off with a MTS rather than a GS, even if I don't consider the financial aspects, I'm sure the MTS will be better suited for heavy London traffic and threading it between bikes in parking bays will be a lot easier.

As an aside, when I was parked up to check on some accesories at a bike shop, a couple asked me loads of questions on the MTS and asked if they could take some photos !

Now, I'll wait to see if they can do me a good package and decide on the colour. They have a black one in stock.

fiirestorm
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Went to a different Duke dealer, local to me to see what he could offer. (Ducati London South). It was more competitive than the first offer, got a free labour on the 600miles service and a good deal on accessories.

Test Ride
After the formalities, took it down Purley Way, through loads of traffic heading out of south London. Bike was very good through traffic. As the cars thinned out, I noticed that this specimen was way stronger than the previous one I tried, I would say from 3000-6000 rpm 90% on par with my firestorm. It was also a lot keener to pull from lower revs. The miles till empty reading was very erratic, ranged from empty to 160 miles Confused .

The Finish
on the bike was pretty rough though, looked liked it been kept in the sea, all the fasteners started to fur up and the front fork legs looked worse than my firestorm's (nearly 30000 miles). The MST had done less than 2000 miles. Is this what I need to expect Think

I also took the GS for another ride. This afternoon. Took it straight to the big smoke. Jumped out of E into 5th a couple of times, with clutch and clutchless changes. Maintained a good cruising speed on the A3, cars seem to get out of the way very quickly. Down Roehampton Lane, past Barnes, through Hammersmith. Whizzed up Sheperd's Bush and on to the A40 elevated section towards Marylebone Road. Found it very comfortable and surefooted, especially on the variable quality tarmac in London. BUT I had problems with the bars, they are at the same level as SUVs, X5, ML320 and transit type vans. Meant I had to wait. MST would of got through.

Took back to the dealer.

Summary :

1) I'm sure theres something strange with that bike's gearbox. Too many false neutrals and jumps out of top gear. Happened first time I rode the bike too.

2) Bars are w-i-d-e. (Must be alternatives)

3) Comfy, copes with potholes well. Handling is very good. Needs a lot less effort for the same return compared with the MST.

4) Finish on that particular bike was below par or the previous owner neglected it. Nearly all alloy items were corroded. Some rust on ferrous parts. Didn't notice the 1st time, as it was dirty.

Conclusion
Still not decided on whether I should go for the 1150GS or new Multistrada. They both have their own merits, which I have already spoken about at length.

fiirestorm
Prof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:43 pm Reply with quote

Width and tyre choice did it for me

Although the Ukgser forum is quite a good place to hang out too - but I do still drop in from time to time

The GS also drinks oil - a standard BMW engine feature apparently - the MTS hasn't touched drop in 3000 miles

I'm biased - but so is the GS forum!

It's your call fiirestorm - it is a difficult thing, choosing between them - it's not a simple choice - it all depends on what you do and what you want - they are both fun if they work OK and a pain if they don't

Best of luck

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote

Hello Prof,
I've been posting on ukgser as well. From the tone of the group I thought I'd get very biased/subjective opinions, overall it has been quite well balanced.

I could sum up :

German - steady, dependable
Italian - way more SEXY Razz Razz Razz

Watch this space ...
PeeBee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 6:28 pm Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:

I could sum up :

German - steady, dependable
Italian - way more SEXY Razz Razz Razz

Dunno if I've mentioned this before, but: Shouldn't you take an Adventure 950 into consideration? I test drove the GS multiple times, had the Multi for 3 months, and I'm driving the ADV right now. This bike was made in quality heaven, if I may say so. And it's by far the fastest of the three. Plus: the suspension is way above the other two (putholes!), with WP items fitted as standard.
I do the same as you do, fiirestorm, drive around town most of my time. My town is Amsterdam. That's easier than London, but we have tram rails, that make up an extra challenge...

I don't want to sound pushy, but maybe, if the quality of the drive, the parts and the manufacturing are your main issues, you could end up regretting that you never tested one.
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:10 pm Reply with quote

PeeBee,
Reading the bike magazine arcticles/reviews I believe my legs aren't long enough to ride a KTM Adv, My height is 1.75m, 0.74m inside leg/ inseam. Same reason why I haven't test ridden a Triumph Tiger, 5 seconds sitting on it was enough.

I can cope with the MTS and GS ok.
PeeBee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:
PeeBee,
Reading the bike magazine arcticles/reviews I believe my legs aren't long enough to ride a KTM Adv, My height is 1.75m, 0.74m inside leg/ inseam. Same reason why I haven't test ridden a Triumph Tiger, 5 seconds sitting on it was enough.

I can cope with the MTS and GS ok.

The ADV comes in two heights. I have the (extra) tall one, the 'S'. Last friday I had it serviced with the KTM wizards at Sommer in Germany. Their chief mechanic is 1.65 or something and took my bike for a ride. He could not even get one toe on the floor. He just jumped on it, genuine X-games material if you ask me...

You should try the non-S, which is 33 mm lower. And it can be lowered some more, by adjusting springs, or swapping them, or lowering the fork legs. But being some kinda heavy helps. Since it has those 'off-road' suspension lengths (more than 10 inches on the non-S) the height will be reduced quite a bit just by sitting on it. When you're 1,75 and light, the ADV probably is not your bike.

But when you're not very light, you should still try it. I'm 1.96m/95 kg and I still mount it by stepping on the left peg with my left foot. Not from the ground. Once I sit, it sinks so much, that I can get two heels on the ground easily.

This is leading nowhere, I'm afraid. In a while I'm goling to tell you about ADV's on 17" wheels that I have pics of etc. Try one, if you can (and want to) Smile Smile
Prof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:42 am Reply with quote

I was in my local bike dealer on Saturday and in between the Aprilias, MV Agustas and the Yamahas was one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen - it was a KTM adv 950

It may be bulit well but I don't think it has what you might call "style"

Which is probably why I like the Multistrada

Like PeeBee - I am tall but there are limits to what I will ride Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:53 am Reply with quote

Prof wrote:
I was in my local bike dealer on Saturday and in between the Aprilias, MV Agustas and the Yamahas was one of the ugliest bikes I have ever seen - it was a KTM adv 950

Now that's a clear standpoint! Thank God we do not all share the same taste. Smile
Had a lot of positive reactions to the ADV. 'Awesome' is the word.
gc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quote

Prof wrote:
I'm with Norwich Union on a multi-bike policy via Pratt's (which is closely related to Bennetts)
It's hard to say what the cost is ( but I only have 2 years NCB and I live in a city area) - they are quite happy with the factory immobiliser and no alarm is specified ( but it does have to be garaged) - the alarm cost adds a few hundred.

I wouldn't bother with an alarm - tracker would be more use in my opinion.

H&R insurance services. 01224-848382, Aberdeen, £367 fully comp. 1 yrs no claims.