Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Any one tried the BMW R1150GS and Ducati Multistrada ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
gc
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:16 am Reply with quote

Prof wrote:
I'm with Norwich Union on a multi-bike policy via Pratt's (which is closely related to Bennetts)
It's hard to say what the cost is ( but I only have 2 years NCB and I live in a city area) - they are quite happy with the factory immobiliser and no alarm is specified ( but it does have to be garaged) - the alarm cost adds a few hundred.

I wouldn't bother with an alarm - tracker would be more use in my opinion.

H&R insurance services. 01224-848382, Aberdeen, £367 fully comp. 1 yrs no claims. required data tool £40
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote

PeeBee wrote:

Had a lot of positive reactions to the ADV. 'Awesome' is the word.

depends how you define awesome Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quote

Prof wrote:

depends how you define awesome Wink

According to the Oxford Dictionary (www.askoxford.com):

awesome
• adjective 1 inspiring awe. 2 informal excellent.
Prof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:41 am Reply with quote

According to my Chambers dictionary there's an alternative meaning

awesome = dreadful Very Happy

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:20 am Reply with quote

I've gone a sexy italian redhead, she arrives second day in March.

ordering huggers from Norbert Backes, handguards from a KTM dealer and heated grips from dual star (they haven't replied yet though ...)

Can't wait, really excited Razz Smile Razz Smile
PeeBee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:
Can't wait, really excited Razz Smile Razz Smile

Congrats, and do check the whole bike before driving away at your dealer...

Have fun, and good luck with the long wait.
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Thanks PeeBee, sorry it didn't work out for you, thanks for trying to put me off, always need a balance Smile Can't have eveyone singing it's praises, I'd get suspicious then ... Wink

cheers
Hans Wurst

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:
Thanks PeeBee, sorry it didn't work out for you, thanks for trying to put me off, always need a balance Smile Can't have eveyone singing it's praises, I'd get suspicious then ... Wink

cheers

what you should be suspicious and careful about, are these guys who do have some trouble and still can't stop praising the bella...
Soon you will be one of them Whistle

(got my backes hugger today!)
HW
PeeBee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote

Hans Wurst wrote:
what you should be suspicious and careful about, are these guys who do have some trouble and still can't stop praising the bella...
Soon you will be one of them Whistle

(got my backes hugger today!)
HW

Guys, from your answers I seem to have gotten a reputation... Thanks for not burning me down here.

I got a phone call that my DP hugger has arrived too, after 14 weeks. Pity I don't have the bike anymore. Think

Drive safely, PeeBee
PeeBee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote

fiirestorm wrote:
ordering handguards from a KTM dealer

If these are the 950 handguards: it has a conical handlebar, so at the point where you attach the guard to the handlebar, it will be thicker than the non-conical Duc handlebar. As far as I know, it's regular Acerbis, so maybe they have a clamp for regular handlebars as well.
Ironman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Very Happy One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is ease of maintenance, or a lack thereof. Basically, everything on the BMW is easy to get to and out in the open. Routine valve adjustments can be easily done by anyone with a little mechanical know-how and a few small wrenches and feeler guages. No complicated desmo valves nor shim and bucket work to do like on the Duck and KTM. Resale value will be higher with the BMW but then again, it's much more expensive initially. BMW has been having a rash of problems though with their input and output splines on their transmissions and with their final drives. If an "R" bike ever requires piston rings or valve work, it's all out there in the open! I currently have a new 2001 Ducati 900SS that I purchased new in August 2003, that I really enjoy but I am thinking of selling it and trying a new Multistrada. I also have a pristine 1995 BMW R100RT Classic, that is my touring mount. I recently sold a 1999 KTM 640ERC street legal dualsport. In my opinion, if I could just have one bike, it would probably be the R1150GS BMW. Cool Take care, Sam

Please read John 3:16
badittude

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote

Hey Tony in Baton Rouge, you would still pick the multi over the other possibilities that many of us on here would consider:
I started out just loving the GS, I dig the tough looking Adventure, and you just KNOW Hebert has got a desperate look in their eyes about the FOUR Adventures they are sitting on with the 1200 on the trucks. Speaking of the 1200, nobody seems to have the msrp on that bike. I might be scared. Well it still looks easy to work on. That is important to me. Nice bike.
I saw the new FZ6 at Friendly Yama. You should go look at that bike. Just beautiful. Or the SV1000 '03. There are a couple left in town, the dealers have that same desperate look about a leftover lame duck model. I really am digging the Multi. I am not digging a 600 dollar visit every 6k miles. Not gonna do it. I am a good shade tree mechanic and routinely do top end rebuilds on single cylinder bikes, did my own valve adjustment on my RoadStar, and cannot consider trailering my new bike to New Orleans twice a year and donating 600 to the mechs. acct. I might be tempted to offer to pay full MSRP to euro in exchange for free lifetime valve adj. I guess I feel like if I wanted to own a bike that had to constantly be in the shop, (fiddled with)I would just go down and buy a Harley. It is cool to tinker with a bike to modify or add accessories to it, but not to just keep it in running order.
Please give your opinion about the above thoughts to a fellow Baton Rougean.

Shane Think
Captain Scarlet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:52 am Reply with quote

Gotta gree with Jim Bessettes comment basically.

Had an R1150GS and loved it. Got an MS now and enjoy it's fun nature, for short journeys.

If you rarely travel more than 100 miles then an MS is a great choice.

If you want to go touring, or use the bike all year round, then the GS wins hands down (for me personally speaking).

Overall? The new (100% new) 1200GS is as light as a MS with 15 bhp and 12 lb ft of torque more - at the same revs. The real difference being, reliability and build quality are a given with the Beemer, as are mirrors that don't vibrate, clocks which work, non-corroding finish, and a seat that's comfortable for the entire decent tank range. Oh and servo assisted ABS (£750 normally), hand guards, pannier rails and rack are all standard equipment.

The new GS isn't cheap to purchase, but when you consider strong residuals and in all probability zero hassle ownership (for 250,000 miles), with as much fun as the MS thrown in - it suddenly starts to sound very cheap indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys- It is funny how different folks have different perspectives on the same experiences. The down the road costs of a new ducati and a new bmw are about the same if you want to keep the warranty alive;ie regular servicing and proof of such for good resale. I have had the same amount of hassles with both brands. If you want a good example of stonewalling research bmw surging etc on the f650s, which is a great bike and a real alternative to the MS.Luckily time heals all wounds and with out saying negative about any bike- they could all do with being less "automotive" using better fasteners and less cheesypaint. lets hope everything improves. Don
loucksgl

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:56 am Reply with quote

used to be a BMW dealer and have much experience on the GS and Paris Dakar models. Love them. The new ones are teriffic since BMW finally got the surge out with the two plug heads. The GS handles very well, gets decent fuel mileage and is not dependent on the shop. Electronics are fine with no specific problems. Smooth power, low maintenance and comfortable. Great for touring. Great in twisties. I just recently purchased my 04 Multistrada as I am BMWd out. In comparison, the Multistrada will out handle and out accellerate the GS by a bunch. The GS is a bit anemic in the power department. However, I surmise that the Multistrada will be more dealer dependent due to the desmodromic valve system which will require more frequent settings. (GS = every 20,000 miles for valve sets. BMW has great dealer backup ( in states) and parts and accessories are usually at the dealer. It seems I have to order almost everything I want to buy for the Ducati. The GS is much easier to service. Both bikes are a hoot to drive.