Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Any one tried the BMW R1150GS and Ducati Multistrada ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:31 am Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm in the market for a new(ish) bike. I'm seriously considering a R1150GS. It fits me perfectly, then again I've only tried a Triumph Tiger (my legs are too short) and a Yamaha Fazer 1000.

Can any one on this forum comment on the relative merits of the GS and Multistrada be fore I go and splash out on a 2 year old GS ?

I have yet to ride a DS1000 .... something I will remedy this weekend.

Thanks
fiirestorm

(yep I ride a Honda VTR1000 at the mo, need something more upright)
Hans Wurst
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:41 am Reply with quote

there is no comparison at all.
If you like the torque and the handling of the GS just wait untill you try the MS. When I was in decision making I rode the 1150R instead, because the GS is way too ugly. After I returned from the testride with the MS, I couold not believe the numbers (hp, torque) that BMW is claiming because the MS feels so much more powerful. Yes, their handling is compared to the appearance and weight of the BMW's pretty easy, but again, try the one and only, Ducati Multistrada!!!

cheers,
HW
Kostis
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:52 am Reply with quote

Hi
Last summer i was looking to replace my Monster because i was traveling a lot and every day i do 43 Klms to go to work and 43 to return, my moster 600 dark had 48000 klms in just 3 years. I went around on Athenian dealers and tested a number of motorcycles. Honda Afrca Twin, Varadero, Suzuki DL 1000 Storm, Aprilia Caponord, BMW 1150 GS, Yamaha TDM 900 and of course the Multi. The Honda Africa twin i was expecting to be upgraded after all those year, had the usual problems, forks where soft, breaks where of the 70's era and basicaly handling was of the soft side and absent on most cases, Varadero had the same problems and was to expensive for was it ofers, both of them where underpowered and fuel effeciancy was poor. The built quality was nice but both bikes needed so many aftermarket parts to be on my driving style, i do not like soft light steering bikes with fluffy brakes. Suzuki was a a step over and more stable on high speed cornering but stil the brakes and fron fork were too soft and with no returning info to the driver. Caponord was great big with enouph power to move the body, great display, load of info sometimes to much info, brakes where brembo simular to multi but the front marzoki fork was too soft and dangerous on high speed braking. TDM 900 was a bike for every day use, with a "electric"styled engine good brakes but the geometry of the bike was for straigh line use only. BMW had the best quality of them all, those guys from Germany when they say metal they just ask how many kilos not gams. Heavy, looks like a big huge leopard tank. Great seat, High quality accessories. Telelever wont work without ABS Think stable at high speed trveling and almost like a car, when comes to tigh cornerning need special attention, do not open the throtle inside a coner, paralever will move the rear wheel outbound Confused scaryyyyyy. Too heavy bike, brakes ware awful without abs and abs needed for proper use of the front fork. Great protection from air and for cold climates a must. For hot mediteranian weather the underpowered boxer engine sends heat to the lower legs, till they burn Confused when you try a bike lik that forget what you knew about bike handling, just thing of it as a tiger Tank trying to be bike. On multistrada you wont find a seat that conftable and she is a great breaker and handler. The built quality is fine and the childhood problems are almost cured. Is a fun bike that you smile when you arriving at work and smiling when you are leaving, with a few inprovments can travel easily long distances without making the rider or passenger woried. For long ditances, more thatn 250 klms i recomend for myself the confort screen, sargent or corbin or ducperfonmance gel set, and hand guards for the flying nasty yellow splatter things Confused
i hoped i helped enouph
kostis
ps Buy the GS if you have to cross from north to south pole on a straight road, for driving pleasure and everyday usage get the nulti is more bike than the GS even if you weight them and multi is lighter by about 70 Klgms
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote

Kostis is correct about the 1150GS. I put 15k miles on one several bikes ago. It ain't no Multistrada!

If you must have shaft drive and ABS, wait and test the new R1200GS, which is supposed to be 66 lbs lighter than the 1150, and to have 100 crank horsepower. Even a counterbalancer! Check out:

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15january04_bmw_r1200gs.htm

I wouldn't trade my Multi for it, but the BMW is significantly improved.

Tony in Baton Rouge
OGRI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:54 am Reply with quote

Every time I hear someone asking for comparisons between "any bike" against the R1150-GS, I look forward to see the replies, why?

The GS is a bike built with every aspect of motorcycling in mind.
* Transmission Smile
* Paralever/Telelever suspension system Smile
* Great ABS brakes Smile
* Crossed spoked wheels Smile
* Perfect instrumentation "That works" Smile
* Comfortable seats Smile
* Heated grips & wind deflectors (Hand protectors) Laughing
* Superb handling Shocked
* Ability to be used on some dirt roads Smile
* Very solid in corners (smooth bumpy etc.) Razz
* Extremely easy maintenance Think
* Inmediate availability of parts and ACCESORIES around the world Very Happy
* Preferred bike for around the world riders Whistle

You will feel more comfortable with this bike if your height is above 1.80M/ 6'
The new model R1200-GS has become available this year, take a look
and compare http://www.motobykz.co.uk/BMW/BMW_R1200GS_2004.htm Cool

The Multistrada is a whole different story, you can't even compare it to
the GS, as it is a FUN BIKE, it will deliver great pleasure for short rides
Great engine response, very agile, good brakes (as long as they don't vibrate) Embarassed feels very light.

So, the question has to be;

What do you want the bike for?? Think

I own both, and like them both, but one is much better than the other, BY FAR!!! Mr. Green

OGRI
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies.

My height is 1.75m, 0.74m inside leg.

I will use it mainly for commuting in heavy London traffic. At the moment I use a Honda Firestorm. My journey takes 40 minutes to cover 20 miles each way. My back is suffering.

So in summary :

be comfortable
my next bike must be suitable for filtering / lane splitting
have sufficient power for motorway and fast A (primary) roads
be fun and interesting !

I do like the look of the 'strada and 1150GS
I have driven a 1150GS and liked it for it's
comfort
suspension
style.

Didn't like :

Weight
Brakes are like sponges
Sounds boring
Lack of torque and power

I wanted to try a Tiger, but my little legs are too short, but perfectly ok for a GS. I think the seat is wider on the Tiger.

I can't afford a R1200GS, can just about afford to buy a R1150GS 2001 with high mileage, 24000 miles and it costs 6000gbp !

I've just checked another aspect of MS and GS ownership, insurance.

Insurance for a MS is 50% more !!! and I need a cat 1 alarm and immobiliser for the MS. 450 gbp for a GS and 730 gbp for a MS.
multimaino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote

you drive only a BMW, she is only perfekt

but you love a MS, it is a Ducati !!Razz
jacknipper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote

I had three BMW of whom the last the GS 1150: GS had all of the lack of the BMW (much weight, meager power, meager reactivity, cheapy suspensions ecc) and had lost almost all of the qualities (reliability above all).
Since I don't test a Ducati the BMW is one of the better bike but when I try the MTS I understand the difference: I do not would return back for nothing to the world Cool Cool Cool

My photo album at: http://www.otweb.it/foto_JN
Prof

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote

My last bike was an 1150 GS - I thought it would be the perfect bike for me - I'm 1.97 m tall and wanted a tall bike. The BMW seemed like it was made to be ridden

However, much of the riding I do is through traffic - the BMW is too wide to filter between rows of stationary cars and trucks - The MTS is great for that as is my scooter.

On the open road the difference is more in the fun factor - The GS is good but the acceleration isn't as good as the MTS

As for the build quality - my BMW was nowhere near as good as the MTS - The problems I had in less than 12 months of ownership were: brakes, electrics, seat and panniers - and the gearbox was a complete pain - It always took two clicks to get from neutral to first

I wouldn't buy another BMW - I'd buy another Ducati - I love it

No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Any insurance companies to recommend (UK)?
Best quote so far Carol Nash, 732 gbp, most others quote 1000+ gbp. Must have a thatcham alarm & immoboliser.
Prof

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote

I'm with Norwich Union on a multi-bike policy via Pratt's (which is closely related to Bennetts)
It's hard to say what the cost is ( but I only have 2 years NCB and I live in a city area) - they are quite happy with the factory immobiliser and no alarm is specified ( but it does have to be garaged) - the alarm cost adds a few hundred.

I wouldn't bother with an alarm - tracker would be more use in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:56 am Reply with quote

Think hi i had the same thought : but the 1150 more of a tractor i rode the bmw adventure its ok but doesnt hold a light to mts you hve to decide what u want me its the duke regards slider: Whistle

Multistrada (Awesome)
Pan European ST1100
Gasgas EC30 Crosser
PeeBee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote

Slider wrote:
me its the duke regards slider: Whistle

Always thought a Duke is an unbeatable twisties eater from KTM. Confused

Anyway: try this test on a MTS and a GS: switch it off, sit on the bike and try to manoever it backward, like moving out of a garage or parking spot. I had to do this by accident when going for a test drive on a GS. Never took the test drive-this thing is way too heavy for slow work.
Sad
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:20 pm Reply with quote

PeeBee,
The only time I had 2nd thought on a GS is when I tried to park it ! It was very heavy.

I've arranged for a test drive on a MS tommorow.

I'll will know how I get on withe the MS compared with the GS. The other thing is the width of the bike, since most of my miles is commuting to work in heavy London traffic. I suspect the MS is narrower which will make a significant difference to getting through traffic.

Insurance wise I've got a good quote from another company, 567 gbp / 820 euro which is acceptable to me. This was with H&R, insurance2000.co.uk for people in UK. 250 gbp less than Carole Nash, my current insurer.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

fiirestorm
jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Well, by now you should have tested the MS. I gotta agree with OGRI on this. These are TWO DIFFERENT BIKES. I don't put my .sig on this forum, but I own an R1150GS Adventure (2002) and the MS. I'm tall. 6'4", with
ridiculously long legs. I also own 4 other bikes (2 KTMs and 2 other BMWs).
For me, if I could only have one bike, there's NO DOUBT in my mind, it would be the R1150GS (or the new R1200GS). It suites ME. I've done mulitple 1000 mile days on it. I've done dirt roads (I don't mean just gravel roads - I mean Baja).

Why did I buy the MS? Because it's FUN. For commuting and a long weekend trip, it's a blast.

To those who say the MS is "better" in handling and such, there was an article in one of the Euro mags (may have been German - but I don't think they are really biased toward the BMW), the 1150GS beat the MS in LOTS of categories, on roads that the MS was supposedly "built for".

For me, the GS is the best "all around" motorcycle. The MS feels faster and lighter. On rougher roads, the GS beats the MS. Buy whatever gives you more SMILES per gallon (or liter if you prefer).

BTW, gotta go pick up my MS from the dealer where it's been for the past week. Bad ECU they say. Hmmm. my R1150GS has 15K miles on it and has been to the dealer once for a brake line re-route. Took 1 hour. The MS has 1500 miles on it and it's been in for a week. Time will tell