Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I just came in and considering buying a Multistrada
Skip
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I registerd because I'm considering buying a Multistrada. I already read some topics and I must say that everyone coming from a sportsbike is very enthousiastic.. Very Happy

I currently drive a Honda CBR600RR and before that a Yamaha TDM900. I wanted the RR because I wanted to drive a bike like that just to know how it is and it drives great. Now I found out for myself that this bike isn't the right one for me.. And I had that feeling a several times with bikes... Even the TDM900 lastest just a year...

I feel much too young for a Pan European, 1150RT or FJR1300 and want to combine a sportsbike in a travelbike..

I know I have to get used to the character of a Ducati but I think it will be the right bike for me..

So, if you want to drive my mind crazy about the Multistrada, please be my guest and give it a shot.... Mr. Green
MultiMan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Skip,

I would say you will find the Multi sportier than the Tedium and more comfortable and practical than the CBR600RR. From your post, that sounds like the combination you're looking for.

Of course, it's certainly possible to do things on other bikes other than what they were actually designed for (e.g., touring on an R1; taking an 1150GS to the track). But I truly feel the Multi meets its design brief of doing well Multi things on Multi roads--assuming there actually is a road of course.

On this board, you can find people who have pushed their Multi's in the direction of being total track tools to that guy with the cast iron butt who road from Alaska to Florida in about the time it takes to cross Los Angeles during rush hour.

For me, that's the beauty (and drawback) of this bike. I was reentering riding after a long absence when I got my Multi; I had no particular focus on the kind of riding I would be doing. The Multi has enabled me to follow my whims. I've kept pace with superbikes in bumpy twisties; I've had a blast at the track; I've packed panniers and headed out for long weekends; and I've even commuted to work two-up with the wife (and all her crap). In each case, I can think of another bike that might be better suited for the particular task at hand, but I keep coming back to the Multi when I try to think of one bike to do all.

That said, like most everyone, what I really want is a stable of bikes. Because if you push too hard in any one direction, you will find the Multi's limits--whether it's scraping the exhaust shield in fast right-hand sweepers or finding you do need an iron butt to do iron butt miles.

But until my garage holds a BMW GS for adventure touring; a pyschotic Aprilia 250 smoker for track fun, a state-of-the-art Superbike just because, a Thruxton or other cafe racer for posing at the cafes and a Duke II for losing my license in the shortest amount of time possible, then I'm going to "make do" with the Multi. Suggest you consider doing that too!
mousouris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quote

I was going to reply, however Multiman has express my feelings better than I could have hoped to!

Ron
blackrhino
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quote

I recently bought my Multistrada and agree with Multiman. Given your mention of the FJ, you may want to also consider a Ducati ST3 as it will meet more touring requirements and still be considerably "younger" and more sportier than the FJ and most of all it is still a Ducati.
Herb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:29 pm Reply with quote

I just have to agree to all the posts before.

Just keep in mind, Italians building vehicles with their hard Very Happy, it rides perfect Wink , the engines are a dream Rolling Eyes, but when it comes to mechanical details, they sometimes messing up the one ore the other thing Think. (You will find posts about brake issues, oil cooler line issues and corrosion problems).

All nothing really big, but if you forget the hard of the Italians, well you will not get happy.

Regards,
Herb Very Happy

hotschko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:29 am Reply with quote

Herb wrote:
with their hard Very Happy

I believe you ment heart and not hard Cool
Herb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quote

yep, you are right.

I can not belive, just 2 years back from the US, and already a lot of vocabulary is gone.. need to train more Wink

Regards,
Herbert

bikelee
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:19 am Reply with quote

Am considering trading my FJR for a used 2004 Multis. The Strada has 1300 miles and the Large touring bags,carbon fiber clutch cover,Sargent seat,touring shield,carbon hugger and has had the first service done. The Multi runs well. I test rode it for 1 and a half hours ! The deal is I have to give the dealer my FJR(2003) with 8300miles plus $3300 dollars including tax. Should I do it? Any help or encouragement ? Thanks, Smile Lee.