Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Importing from the US to Canada? How about this one...
pmagee
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Since my first thread the other week I've been looking at what's for sale in North America. There's plenty of nice ones, tho I did notice that the center stand is one rare beast! I'd really want one with the stand, but I think a certain amount of luck/stars aligning is needed!

Anyway, I noticed this one's been listed for a little while and caught my eye: http://www.flatoutmotorcycles.com/2006Du...M1VABP56B017769

It's got very low mileage, but it looks like it still has the factory tires (10 yrs old now, probably dry) and I'd be willing to bet it's in need of a new belt... and an oil change wouldn't hurt if it hasn't been done recently. It might be hard to say if there's any tank expansion from pics, but it looks like it sits pretty flush with the body. Do you see any anything that stands out in the pics that I might've missed? Has anyone in the Indy area seen this bike?

Regarding the import process, there are 2 things that concern me:
    I checked the VIN and there's an outstanding recall for the fuel pump o-ring on this bike. The RIV doesn't allow a vehicle with an outstanding recall. How difficult do you think it would be to get this work done at a local Ducati dealer?

There's apparently an 80db limit on bikes crossing the border. I don't know if they actually measure this, but do you think the Termi pipe would be too loud? Also, is the one on this bike of those "full kits"? I can't tell.

The price is higher than what I would ideally pay, but maybe it would be negotiable due to some of the stuff I listed above. I'm sure the low mileage might attract some people, but I'm not sure lower is always better!
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote

The tank is starting to expand, but it is not too bad. If you look at the second to last picture, you can see the rear panels lifted slightly in the second to last picture. I clipped it and added an arrow here (click to enlarge):

On a bike with a non-expanded, correctly fit tank, those panels will lay flat. The gap will be smaller and consistent from center to the outer edges, not "winging up" towards the outside as shown in the picture. My second 1000DS was similar to this when I bought it and it was 4-5 years before I needed a new tank. Your results may vary based on the ethanol content of the fuel you use, climate and other factors. I personally would include budget for a CA Cycleworks tank somewhere in the first 2-3 years if I was buying an a-c Multi with a tank in this condition.

I can't speak to the exact decibels of the Termi system, but I believe the US limit is 80 decibels as well and the Termi system on my first 2004 was definitely louder than stock. It wasn't too bad at idle, but was substantially louder as the revs climbed.

That does not look like a full system. If you enlarge the first pic, you can see what looks like a short small diameter header pipe coming right of the block. I believe that is the stock header piece. This is joined to a slightly larger midpipe which is then joined to the much larger piece heading to the carbon muffler. My first 1000 had a similar set-up, but from the looks of it, a different mid-pipe. A full system should look more like this, with a larger header pipe going all the way through the mid-pipe location before joining with the final run of piping leading to the muffler. System shown is by Remus. There are more pics in my album:

pmagee
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote

Nice catch on the tank. I definitely did not notice it at all! Thanks for your input.
I guess with half of the tank being hidden under the seat, you can't rely on the front fenders and the seat lining up to eliminate the tank expansion possibility.

As I understand it, an expanded tank can be a pain to remove because of how it sits nested between the frame. I'm guessing the outstanding recall requires the tank to be removed, further complicating things...

In addition, could there be fuel pump issues if has sat around for almost a decade with some old gas in the tank? I read about issues requiring the fuel pump being fixed with some JB WaterWeld.
potomacduc
MTS: 2013 1200 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote

I'm just going by the pics so I could be totally wrong, but at a glance, I don't think that tank is bad enough to be a major problem for removal/installation. Others can probably speak better to the removal issue though. Other than oil changes, battery replacement and a handlebar/controls swap, I had my work done at the dealer and never personally removed the tank. I do know that the fit of my rear panels was noticeably worse before my dealer mentioned removal/installation issues.

Fuel/varnish could definitely be a problem throughout the fuel system for any bike that has sat for an extended period with fuel in the tank. However, I believe the fuel pump flange leak is largely related to tank expansion and the recall. The recall will replace the o-ring with a better one that (presumably) can deal with a little bit of expansion from the tank while holding a seal. At some point the tank expands too much and should be replaced. I don't remember for sure, but as I recall, some folks have tried sealing the area in lieu of the o-ring replacement and/or to attempt to stave off tank replacement as expansion gets worse.

Again, I am just guessing from a few internet pics, but I think there is a good chance that a competent dealer should be able to remove that tank, do the o-ring recall and reinstall the tank with little difficulty.
raoufhakam
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote

That looks like a very clean bike with low miles, but price is pretty high with our Dollar rate, keep in mind the trip's expenses too (i picked up mine from Ontario and rode it back 1,800km)

I'd give you my Multi for that amount in Canadian Dollars! Very Happy (thats 40% less)

P.s. there is a dealer in Ontario have a similar Multi on Kijiji with 550km for $7,999CAD but then ur saving urself all the hassle of travelling amd bringing the bike across the borders

pmagee
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Hi raouf, the only problem with yours is that it's in red :p

I also prefer the S model and I really like the look of the Termignoni with the black bike. In that sense, the one in Ontario you mentioned offers less for roughly the same price. I'd say for a stock non-S they are asking too much.

I know that there is value in not importing, it is a big hassle. The travel time is another big factor. In this case, Indianapolis is pretty far from Moncton. Ideally the bike I will buy will be in Canada, but the offerings aren't fantastic at the moment. I have time on my side right now, but I'd love to make a move in early spring.
raoufhakam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:46 pm Reply with quote

DANG! looks like i picked the slow colour!!! Where i'm coming from (Hondas) red is the fast colour, and is believed to come from the factory with 5hp more than other colours Mr. Green

i just opened the Ad you posted from my computer and noticed all the points you mentioned (the mobile site had only one small blurry pic).

oh, and i'm sure the trip from Indiananapolis to Moncton (2,300km) isn't gonna be tiring on a Multi, just make sure you pack light as the bike doesn't have bags and tank is plastic so no magnetic tank bag, just strap it with zip ties Very Happy

the market here in Canada sort of slacks in Winter, will start picking up with a month or two i'm sure. there was a black 1000S model for sale here in Nova Scotia around Oct-Nov for a while, not sure if its sold or not, but the Ad isn't there anymore and i don't know the guy. might be worth it to go/call the guys at Atlantic Motoplex and see if they know its owner, i saw his bike there last summer during the Ducati Test Ride event.

pmagee
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote

Haha, my little Honda is red. I'm actually usually a fan of white, but for some reason black does it for me on the Multi.

The non-magnetic tank is a bit annoying since I just bought a nice Cortech tank bag.

Yeah, I was talking to the folks at Motoplex this weekend at t bike show. I mentioned my interest but they only have overpriced used 2nd gens.

I'm signed up for the Ducati event again this year. Last year it coincided with the Canadian Grand Prix so I had to miss it unfortunately. Let me know if you are going this year, maybe we can meet up!
raoufhakam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote

i think i like the black too, but when i've always wished i had the red colour of every bike i bought before (Monster,VFR, 2 CBR's) so i knew i jumped on the red Multi, black wheels are also nice on that 1000S, light grey wheels on mine requires a bit of cleaning if you have to ride through rain, dust, ...etc.

Most bikes on Motoplex are overpriced i know that, they wanted $2,000 on top of my brothers Bandit 1250 for a trade on a V-Strom 650 ! Mr. Green

p.s. i'm most likely gonna be there this year, hopefully would see you then on a Multistrada too Wink