Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 04 used (13kmi) or 05 New ($challenged)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
AdventureOneTours
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote

Am new today and, of course, this my first post. I want badly to buy a Multi and can obtain a 04 used with 13kmi from a reseller for 8k to my door, but it has not had a 12k service. Am hearing that is $1k--true? Usually do all my own work on my oilhead, and other bikes; can this be done with the multi? Have more time than money. Wish I could buy the 05 my local dealer is offering for 12.8 out the door, but money is an issue--a fairly big issue.
The other issue is roadability; will the Multi handle packed gravel or hard dirt surfaces, not off-road just not paved road--short distances only?
What does anyone think about these issues/delemas.
Any help is well taken.

Thanks, Oakley Think
"You can't beat fun for a good time."
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote

The Multi can handle hard packed gravel and dirt roads, no problem.

Does that '04 come with any aftermarket goodies like exhaust upgrades, bags, etc?...that can be worth quite a bit.... $2-4,000 easily.
AdventureOneTours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Nothing except a 05 stock seat. It is however very clean and unmosested. It is that 12k service that has me woried. I don't even know the following service intervals--am assuming 6k for valve adj?
Thanks, Oakley

01 Aprilia Mille R Track bike
fmechini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote

AdventureOneTours wrote:
Am new today and, of course, this my first post. I want badly to buy a Multi and can obtain a 04 used with 13kmi from a reseller for 8k to my door, but it has not had a 12k service. Am hearing that is $1k--true? Usually do all my own work on my oilhead, and other bikes; can this be done with the multi? Have more time than money. Wish I could buy the 05 my local dealer is offering for 12.8 out the door, but money is an issue--a fairly big issue.
The other issue is roadability; will the Multi handle packed gravel or hard dirt surfaces, not off-road just not paved road--short distances only?
Any help is well taken.

Thanks, Oakley Think

13Kmi on the multi is nothing. If I knew what I know now I woulg have got a used multi. Just test ride it to be sure the front brakes are ok (no shudder).
As for the cost, there is no fixing. You buy a duc and it will cost ya. BUT the fun never ends. Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
Habanero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:21 pm Reply with quote

AdventureOneTours wrote:
Nothing except a 05 stock seat. It is however very clean and unmosested. It is that 12k service that has me woried. I don't even know the following service intervals--am assuming 6k for valve adj?
Thanks, Oakley

Contact Sunny here on Multistrada.net, he has an '05 with 1,100 miles he'll take $8,900 for it. I think he's located in Miami, but you could have it shipped for about $500. It's easy and fast, I've done it.

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=132

Last edited by Habanero on Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chairguy
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:01 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I would say shop around.. I saw a new one on e-bay for 9500- New S i think.. The resale for the 1000 is getting soft.. 13K miles to me is a lot for the price but thats me..

Urb

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote

I bought a used '04 with 1500 miles and 34l hard bags for $9k even. I couldn't justify spending $3-4k in "toys" for a bike that was quoted $13,200 out the door. I figured my bike had 15 months left on the warranty and that was more than I was going to get from a lot of brands.

If it were me I would look for less miles but watch the guy trying to sell you the bike before HE has to pay for a 6 or 12k service.
lotus54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Unless you could get a killer deal on a 'S', I would probalby buy the 04 and get the 05 seat plus warranty sidestand/mirrors.
You can certainly do the 12k serivce, but need to buy a few tools.
Here's what I bought:
Shim kit from www.emsduc.com for under $300.
Technoresearch software from http://www.ca-cycleworks.com/
I don't see it listed on their site right now.

I also have an exhaust analyzer I got from http://www.rdent.com/pages/tools.html
this is not absolutely needed, but if you want to adjust or check your mixutre you need it. $199 for that.

Really all you need is the techno tool and shim kit (you don't really have to have the shim kit either, but I wanted to have one handy, since I live a 90 miles and a ferry ride away from the dealer).
I used the 5mm allen key method to set the belts and had no problem at all.

Mark

AdventureOneTours wrote:
Any help is well taken.

Thanks, Oakley Think
AdventureOneTours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote

First, I must say thanks for all the help from the guys on the list--I didn't expect to get so much info.

So is the warranty good even if a Duc dealer does not do the 6k & supsequent services.

I can get the bike but I am worried about the cost of service--I have been riding for 40 years and working on them almost that long, but never a Duc. I DON'T have a ton of money to throw at a bike (school teacher) but I willing to do the work (I'm pretty damn detail oriented) if I it won't void the warranty and such. I guess what I am afraid of is I will get the bike I have always dreamed of and not be able to keep it. That would be hell.
Thanks Oakley

lotus54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote

US law says they cannot require you to have the service work done by them. It does have to be done. You have to prove it was done.
Keep all reciepts, parts if you do it, everthing if an independent.
Also, I checked off the list of things to do from the manual, with date and mileage, plus all readings (valve clearances, compression pressure etc).

I told the dealer I did it myself and the service manager didn't blink an eye. I'm sure if other warranty issues come up I'll have to show I did it, but I don't think it is that big of a hassle with most shops. You do have to have documentation that it was done.

I just couldn't see spending $600 on something I can easily do (I service motorcycles on the side also) and probably do a better job. I have not really been impressed with a lot of the workmanship I see out there. Tee-Dub is a good example. They never should have let it out of the shop starting like it did, yet they tried to claim that was 'How they all start'- even to the contradiction of the Ducati manual.

Mark- back off my soapbox- Hollingsworth

AdventureOneTours wrote:
First, I must say thanks for all the help from the guys on the list--I didn't expect to get so much info.

So is the warranty good even if a Duc dealer does not do the 6k & supsequent services.

I can get the bike but I am worried about the cost of service--I have been riding for 40 years and working on them almost that long, but never a Duc. I DON'T have a ton of money to throw at a bike (school teacher) but I willing to do the work (I'm pretty damn detail oriented) if I it won't void the warranty and such. I guess what I am afraid of is I will get the bike I have always dreamed of and not be able to keep it. That would be hell.
Thanks Oakley
AdventureOneTours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote

That is what I wanted to hear--Thanks!!
I hate to keep asking but here I go anyway--what is the best source for a good manual and such.

Thanks again Mark and everyone
Oakley Laughing

lotus54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote

BTW, I the one I bought was a new 'S'. This was in January, not too many used one floating around at the time, the deal on the leftoever '04's wasn't really that great. So decieded to spend the extra and get the one I probably would have wanted if I got the standard model.
I haven't gotten a new bike since about 1978, so I while I spend way more than I wanted to, I figured I was about due...

The Ohlins are wonderful, but when you talk about $7500 or something against the price of a new 'S', well not THAT much better! The suspension on the standard one is good, and it wouldn't be that bad to pick up an Ohlins rear. The forks would cost too much though...

Mark
Factor47
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:46 pm Reply with quote

13kmi? is the odo in km or did you mean to say miles? Which reseller was it? I've been going by the Ducati dealership on Lamar, they are pretty cool. If I were you I would go for the used. If you go for the new let me know and I'll move in on that used multi in a heartbeat!
Factor47
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:48 pm Reply with quote

oh duh I misread it. 13K miles obviously. I asked because sometimes I do see bikes at the Lamar dealership that have instruments in km (for the true exotic!).
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote

The 12k mile service shouldn't be $1000, but it will run anywhere from $450 to $700, depending on the dealer.

You can do it yourself. The only thing that would require a special tool is a full tuneup if the bike isn't running right. For that, you'll need to get the tuning software for about $225, IIRC from techoresearch.com.

You can do the belt replacement, valves, mechanical throttle body balance, oil and filter, etc without special tools. See ducatisuite.com for some procedures.

The service manual is a bit pricey. You can get scanned pdf versions from ebay, just beware that they're violating copyrights, not searchable and therefore a little more difficult to use than an official version.

There is a good 2v manual available for order from desmotimes.com, though I don't recall it covering a lot on the fuel injection (I've only quickly skimmed through my copy so far).