Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Thinking of buying...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
rqa
MTS: 2007 1100S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I've had the itch for a new m/c for some time and I'm ready to pull the trigger. I've got a couple of '06 1000S DS bikes in my sight...one is local, the other on ebay. My only hangup at this point is that I've yet to ride one. Currently riding an '02 Triumph Trophy and I want something a little lighter and more nimble. I have also been considering a Triumph Tiger 800.
Reading through this thread there are quite a few threads about the MTS being comfortable for fellas 6'4 and above... me, I'm a little more vertically challenged @ 5'8.

So my first question...will I have issues with the height of the bike?

Second, the two bikes that I have located...one has only 5400 miles, the other has 30,000. Anybody have concerns about bikes with too few miles? 5400 miles is only a little over 500 miles per year. That said, the person says they are selling it because they bought a new MTS so I guess that is a good sign.

I hope to get to the dealer that has the local bike here soon to answer the first question for myself but always appreciate other opinions.

Lastly, anyone ridden both, the Tiger 800 and the MTS? Thoughts? Comparisons?

Thanks for any/all input.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote

I've ridden the Tiger 800, and is a good ride, but found not to be as comfortable and fun as my Multi. Granted I have a 1200 and have not ridden an air cooled version yet. There are many threads on this site regarding low vs. high mileage and most will prefer a higher mileage bike, not that a lower mileage bike is bad, but these beasts are meant to be ridden, not babied. Your main concern should be how well each were maintained, and if belts, tires, etc. were recently replaced.
Schlivitz
MTS: 2009 1100S (White)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I looked at a bike at Bloodworth (not that one), and they will be happy to send you out for a test ride. It's a tall bike.
The Ducati will require more maintenance than the Triumph. Can you keep the Trophy? A Multi' and a Trophy would make good stable mates.
rqa

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the inputs!

I could keep both bikes but I'd have to get rid of some of my other toys. I thought when I bought a house with a 4 car garage I was set for space...the joke was on me.

A few more questions I've thought about...
The tank expansion problem...what are the issues around this?
Does it cause the tank to start leaking?
How does ethanol cause it?
If it isn't already an issue with a particular bike, will using only 100% gas help prevent it in the future?

Also, with the air cooled bike. Are there any special issues??? I would assume that an air cooled engine can over heat just like a water cooled.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I haven't heard of a water cooled bike overheating yet, but yes air cooled can be subject to overheating. Oil cooler usually helps that, but still if you're stuck in traffic on the hottest day it can happen. As for the tank issue, the plastic used wasn't engineered to withstand the corn the US insists we use. There was a class action suit in the US that gave an extra 5 years warranty on the tank. If you have non corn stations around you, then it'll be a non issue. The ethanol has become such a problem with all engine manufacturers that I'm surprised there hasn't been lobbying in Washington. Heck, Al Gore is now against it.
Bootworks
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote

The tank expansion problem...what are the issues around this? It can lock the tank in place, making it impossible to remove (and re-install) to service the engine

Does it cause the tank to start leaking? No, but many owners wish it did. That would trigger the DOT to get tough!

How does ethanol cause it? Many theories surround this, moby34 answered that.

If it isn't already an issue with a particular bike, will using only 100% gas help prevent it in the future? Perhaps, but where are you going to find 100% dyno juice traveling the U.S.? Many owners have done a Caswell coating...http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html

Also, with the air cooled bike. Are there any special issues??? I would assume that an air cooled engine can over heat just like a water cooled. Not an issue. Air/oil cooled motorcycle engines have been around forever, you just treat them as such.
Mattel
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote

Before you go any further go ride one!

I had a new tank that I coated like Boot works said, then I run 100% gas or use additives while on the road and in over 3 years it is showing no signs of expanding. I also have a tank that is not expanded in storage, and if anything happens to this tank I will paint it and put that one on.

I am in love with my Multis. I have a 1000DS, 1100S, 1200PP.

I am biased.....

Use the SEARCH function on this form. You will not be able to ask a question that has not been answered and written on extensively.

The biggest thing I can say, is why we own Multis... Because its more than just a bike, it is like a relationship. You will not understand until you fall in love with a Ducati. You will be willing to accept shit you would never tolerate in another bike. But it will bring you joy like no other bike has. When you had enough you can sell it, but I like others here have found it too hard to break up with my Mulit, hence I have a few that beg for my attention...

ATGATT+AIR!!!
Mattel
MTS: 2012 1200S PP (Corse)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote

Before you go any further go ride one!

I had a new tank that I coated like Boot works said, then I run 100% gas or use additives while on the road and in over 3 years it is showing no signs of expanding. I also have a tank that is not expanded in storage, and if anything happens to this tank I will paint it and put that one on.

I am in love with my Multis. I have a 1000DS, 1100S, 1200PP.

I am biased.....

Use the SEARCH function on this form. You will not be able to ask a question that has not been answered and written on extensively.

The biggest thing I can say, is why we own Multis... Because its more than just a bike, it is like a relationship. You will not understand until you fall in love with a Ducati. You will be willing to accept shit you would never tolerate in another bike. But it will bring you joy like no other bike has. When you had enough you can sell it, but I like others here have found it too hard to break up with my Mulit, hence I have a few that beg for my attention...

ATGATT+AIR!!!
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:25 am Reply with quote

I'm 5' 10" and have no problem with height at all.

Best to go ride one and see how you like it.
I'd buy a low mileage bike certainly, but plan on replacing belts and oil etc.

Where I live I usually have the oil cooler covered to get the oil warm enough.
I've never, ever seen it get hot.
BUT I almost never ride I any traffic and not often ride where hot.

I think I've only heard one person say they ever saw 'Hot' on the temp gauge.

Beta XTrainer 300
mollycbr123
MTS: 2010 1200S (White)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote

rqa wrote:
Reading through this thread there are quite a few threads about the MTS being comfortable for fellas 6'4 and above... me, I'm a little more vertically challenged @ 5'8.

So my first question...will I have issues with the height of the bike?

Now that I've entered my sixth decade of life, I recently found out I'm shrinking... Surprise! I'm now 5'7", so says my tailor. I've had no troubles with the height of the multis I've owned. I did have to change my stopping technique a bit, and slide to one side to get a foot down. But I'm used to doing this from my dual sports, and now it's second nature. Just practice and work out your own technique if you feel uncomfortable on the multi.

I remember my first ever demo ride on a multi at a dealership. I misjudged the height and nearly dumped it at the first stop sign, so be careful about that first stop! Laughing

'12 Multistrada S Touring
Yes, I do miss my air cooled multi...
Brand spanking new '16 Thruxton R
mollycbr123

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote

lotus54 wrote:
I think I've only heard one person say they ever saw 'Hot' on the temp gauge.

At the MotoGP races in Indy in '08, my BMW R60 riding friend and I got caught up in a traffic jam from hell. I was on my '08, and kept watching the temp go up and up. When it hit 300F, we decided to start lane splitting. The engine didn't seem to be making much power, but we finally got to where we could park. The gauge read 310 and the engine was sounding a bit different. When it was time to leave that evening, the bike fired up and ran fine, and it subsequently ran fine for another 15k miles. It's still running fine for it's current owner.

Never did see 'HI' on it.

mollycbr123

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YId9Pr_RlIo

bikerjim
MTS: 2011 1200S (Custom colour)

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Now thats ridng skill! I remember the first and only time i saw a little peraon on a motorcycle I could not figure out how this guy could be sitting on the seat and his feet were on the pegs but his leg was straight. i never did see him come to a stop.

rqa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the comments.

I've determined that I have no problem with the bike height...and that I want an 1100. Thought I had the perfect bike for me located...talked to the owner, had the cash in hand and arrangements made to pick it up on the way home from vacation. Reached out to the owner to get the address a couple of days before heading that way and... he no longer wanted to sell Crying or Very sad .

So I'm looking for another which has presented a new quandary...

Found a 07 1100 that was bought by the second owner in 2012 with 9300 miles on it at the time. That second owner wrecked the bike after only 300 miles...never fixed it and didn't ride it. Actually put it in his apartment for 3 years and there it sat until that owner was found dead of a heart attack last year. His sister now has the bike sitting in her garage and has decided to sell it.
The bike was laid down on its right side and has damage to the lower parts of the front faring, the foot brake has been bent in and doesn't clear the heat shied on the exhaust, and there is a little rash on the rear plastic by the passenger seat. That and the wiring bracket under the front of the bike is bent and the relays and other wiring is now just hanging. The bike needs a new battery but it starts easily with a jump. All the electronics, lights, etc all work...

All the maintenance records including the original bill of sale are all there...tires are 4 years old but look brand new.
I guess I'm more concerned with the engine that sat for close to 4 years than the damage to the bike.

It's an opportunity to pick up a bike pretty cheap...I can't believe it would be THAT expensive to put right.
Am I kidding myself?

Somebody tell me what I am missing or that I should walk away from this project.

Although all of the plastic looks good at first glance I'm pretty sure there are missing/broken tabs so the right, left and center lower faring will have to be replaced. The rear right side plastic will need to be painted.
New battery, new foot brake...straighten out or replace the frame bracket that the lower faring connects...I'd also replace the oil and brake fluid right away.

If I could do all of that for < $2000 I'd be ahead...if it got to $3000 then I could have bought another bike without the hassle.

Anyone with any experience with similar projects?
Twotone
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Ok you're not saying how much you can buy it for, but if 1k in more repairs gets you another bike, why take on this project, the engine will be fine with cylinders being nikasil
And a fresh set of belts, oil, filter, drain fuel, refill with non ethanol, check to see if rear panels have gull winged-an indication that tank has expanded.

If I were in your delightful dilemma I would wait till a S model turns up
The quality suspension is worth getting first up.

Good luck with your hunt, keep us updated😉

YA gunna ride, then do it on a L twin, just as the doctor ordered (Dr Tag-L-ioni that is)

MTS'08- MIA