Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I have to make my decision SOON. New 620/Used 1000DS
joe camarda
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:17 pm Reply with quote

I dropped my Moto Guzzi V11 Sport off as a trade in on my new MTS. BUT I havent worked out WHICH MTS I want to buy. So I though I would pose my question Embarassed (humbly) to y'all.

New 620 ...from what I gather on this forum theyre light, lovable, nimble...all in all just a great fun biike.

But for 1K more I can get a 2004 1000, 3K mile, w/Arrow exhaust, Pro Tapers, PC3 (custom map) and gel seat.

I'm aware that the 1000 can be lowered. Can it be lowered to be as low as a 620?

Assuming that it can be lowered to a 620's height, what effect will that have on the cornering and suspension.

TIA for any and all advice.... Joe
Mich748R
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:00 am Reply with quote

He there Joe,

I guess that you are not to tall since you talk about lowering the bike..?? If I were you coming from a V11 Guzzi, I would go for the MTS1000DS. It seems the bike is already mucked up nicely and with not so many miles. Of course you should check the overall status of the bike before.

I'm not sure about lowering the MTS1000DS but I guess it can be done to a certain extense.

Again, because of your history I would go for the 1000. I have the 1000DS and have tried a 620 during the Centopassi in Italy this year and I have to say when you are used to the torque and power delivery of the 1000 a 620 is just not enough.

Good luck with the choice.

Regards,

Mich.

Mich748R

Honda VF750F
Ducati
900SS
748R [miss you]
916 (track)
MTS 1000DS
MTS 1000SDS
Hypermotard 950SP
MTS 1260 Enduro
Soon a Ducati Desert Sled (21’ Front/18’ Rear)
Chairguy
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote

Wow Great question.. Mind boggling.. Well no not really.. I am a 620 owner.. I love my ride, it has about 8 grand on it to prove it.. I ride the bee hey-Zeus out of it.. I can stick with the big boys on the sport bikes, whipping though twisties and such.. Sticking & moving.. Like you quoted its a Lite, Nimble, jack be quick, jack jumped over the candle stick bike.. ( here goes the But)

But If I were you.. I would drop the extra grand in an instant for the 1000.. Yes I said it.. (please 620 brethren don't throw stuff at me) Of course I would make sure it has the 05 upgraded stuff.. seat side, stand, mirrors etc.. (check the forums)

The truth for me is that the 620 doesn't have that out of turn POP that a larger bike has.. That's where they get me every time, aswell as on the highway.. Now, I have have covered all the MTS 620 riding bases long trips W/bags, crazy twisties.. passengers under 120 lbs (wink) & its all good.. The 620 works perfect.. But again its that little extra bang zoom in the throttle I do miss at times..

If you've ridden a bunch, Isn't the V11 a 1000cc ? If so even more reason to roll with the Mts 1000 especially with all those bells and whistles already attached..Just make sure that bike is not from Washington state.. right Tee-dubb.. (long story)..

In short I would get the 1000 in a heart beat...well a very fast heart beat.. It would be a lay-up for me..

Marc

MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:04 pm Reply with quote

The short answer is: "yes, you can lower the 1000 to the same height as the 620". The longer part of the answer is how you go about it.

After "talking" with members of Multistrada.net and suppliers, I concluded that I could lower my 1000 about 3/4" with a shorter ride height adjuster and raising the forks. After a long conversation with the suspension tuner I've worked with in the past, we concluded that we could get me almost 1-1/2" closer to the ground by more major surgery: shortening springs front and rear, revalving and the like to bring the entire suspension down as a coordinated unit (without any of the potential risks of just moving things around). $750 later, I'm not on my tiptoes and have the balls of my feet down (I'm 5'4") with a bike that rides like a dream.

I wanted the 1000DS over the 620 for some very long distance touring. I also figured that by the time I upgraded some of the 620's bits to where I wanted them, I'd have the price of the 1000 invested. There were some other intangibles, but I had a great 650 already and wanted something that was really ridable but that would be a reasonable match with my husbands ST4S when we ride together (out on the highway with my NT 650 I always feel like the little engine that could). I was fortunate to find a 2003 with low mileage, bags, a center stand, and an extended service contract for less than a new 620. Was it the right thing to do? Who knows, but the bike is outstanding.

Email me if you want the all the gory details on the suspension mods.