Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada vs. V-Strom
Goldhelocks
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:28 am Reply with quote

At the risk of being sacreligious, I am wondering about two bike comparisons: Multitrada vs. the Suzuki V-Strom.

I know that the Ducati would be my first choice, but I am not familiar with duty cycle (life of the bike) and availablility of parts for Ducati. On the other hand I am familiar with these issues more from a Suzuki (Japanese) bike and what to expect. So here are some simple questions I have:

1) How would the two bikes be similar and different?
2) What kind of reliability can I expect fromt he Ducati?
3) I live in a very warm climate (Fresno California) where it gets up as high as 113 degrees in summer. I doubt I will ride in weather that warm, but will the air/oil cooled Ducati be ok as compared to the water/oil cooled V-Strom?

No question about it, the Multistrada is a blast to ride. Like I said, based on riding impressions the Multistrada has won my heart. Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
kenvvy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote

Well, I live just an hour north of you in Turlock CA, and I have ridden in the 100+ degree weather and have had no problem with the heat - so don't worry about that one.

As I write this, I am bringing my bike in for a minor problem tomorrow, (oil line began to leak) but outside of that, I have had 1500 awesome miles. You will probably have a few problems, but thats part of the romance of this type of bike. With all the roads on pashnit.com listed in the Fresno area, I couldn't imagine a bike better than the multistrada. A good dealer will make the few problems you have insignificant. I bought from Modesto Ducati - and they are awesome.
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:10 am Reply with quote

I have only had a test ride on the V-Strom as opposed to 2500 miles on the Multi and 4500 miles on a BMW 1150GS

The V-strom didn't excite - Even with supposedly more power than the MTS it felt a bit dull - The GS also always felt like it needed more power and "ran out of breath" at the end of the rev range - The V-Strom engine was better than the GS but still not as much fun as the Multi. - Eager to rev - and power all the way up to the limit.

The only thing I would like is to push the rev limiter up to 10000 - I still get caught out occasionally when I do an overtake and the limiter cuts in Very Happy

Maybe I should slow down Think - but why buy a bike if you ride slowly? Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:35 pm Reply with quote

kenvvy wrote:
You will probably have a few problems, but thats part of the romance of this type of bike.

I will probably, after much consideration, end up deciding on the MTS over 3 competitors. The only thing that makes it NOT a slam dunk decision is this "character" or "romance" issue. Oil leaks, studdering brakes, frequent valve adjustments, water seepage into the electronics, questionable welds, parts gone unpainted, etc. are signs of poor build quality......its NOT a virtue. In the 21st century there is simply no excuse for mechanical products that are not 99% trouble free. We demand that of our cars....why shouldn't we demand it of our bikes?

Last edited by Tomster330 on Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Noah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
We demand that of our cars....why shouldn't we demand it of our bikes?

So, seriously, what do you think will win you over to the Multi? I am interested to know.

-Noah
Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:00 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Oil leaks, studdering brakes, frequent valve adjustments, water seepage into the electronics, questionable welds, parts gone unpainted, etc. are signs of poor build quality

Don't forget - those are only affecting a small number of bikes - there are just as many issues with other bikes that aren't on this forum.

The MTS is a nearly new bike - The ongoing development will (hopefully) use owners' experience to improve the model - The early buyers are the best testers the company can get! There seems to have been improvements already in later batches of the bike.

There is no such thing as a 100% reliable bike - somebody - somewhere will break them!

If you want the MTS - go for it - If you think something else suits you better - go for that. It is down to personal preference in the end.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Goldhelocks,
see also thread on "If You had to do it all over again...." for similar questions and answers....

Paul
Tomster330

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Noah wrote:
Quote:
We demand that of our cars....why shouldn't we demand it of our bikes?

So, seriously, what do you think will win you over to the Multi? I am interested to know.

-Noah

I think that for the type of roads I plan on riding here in Central Texas, (up/down and winding with a variety of surface conditions) the Mulistrada will traverse them the quickest, the nimblest and the most comfortably......especially when riding two-up.

Add to that the fact that I've never cared to ride what the masses ride but prefer to stand out and my choices narrow to Ducati, KTM and MV Agusta Brutale. The latter can't do two-up but the build quality that I can see is magnificent.

Finally, I'm half Italian!!!
Noah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:03 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Aha! There are two types of people: those who are Italian and those of us who wish we were.

It's been twenty-two years since my last ride through central Texas but I remember it well. Perfect Ducati country. There is no wrong answer in your decision though the MV seem the odd-man-out.

Best,
Noah
mike100m

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:21 am Reply with quote

I sold my Gran Canyon last summer to a friend who offered me $1k more than I could get on the open market.I was all set to buy a MS when they first arrived in Ca. I took 2 test rides one extended, loved most about the bike except for the funky mirrors and the big issue for me was the
difference in vibration between the 904 and this engine.I am very sensitive to vibes in my hands.From what I have read the vibration present is caused by the change in bore and stroke and leaving the
rod length the same as the 904 which in turn caused a less than optimum
primary balance.The other thing is the GC had rubber mounted bar mounts and rubber pads on the footpegs.Anyways I backed off and
pondered the choices since I had sold the GC I needed to get
something.
Well I ended up buying a SV1000s Suzuki,installing superbike bars
SV650 naked pegs.I have to admit I love the bike but miss the Ducati
mystique.But my bank account is $5k healtheir and maybe in a year or two Ducati will clean up the problems with the MS and then I can again consider buying.
As a point of information I noticed in a piece on the new ST3 with the
3 valve motor, which shares the same bore and stroke as the MS,they
changed the rod length and the author mentioned I was'nt as "buzzy"
as the MS in their long term test fleet.
I realize for most people the vibes are not that big of a issue but I
just needed to voice my opinion and get some feedback from you all.
Most of the problems other than the vibes are what I would call new model related and I'm sure Ducati will deal with them in due course.
Keep the rubber down.
Mike
vduc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:57 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that for the type of roads I plan on riding here in Central Texas, (up/down and winding with a variety of surface conditions) the Mulistrada will traverse them the quickest, the nimblest and the most comfortably

New to Central Texas (Round Rock) I got my first taste of the roads a few weekends back, and I concur Multi should do the trick. I rode my 749s and the bumps, water crossings, cattle guards made it interesting. My wife took a short ride (20 miles) with me on the Multistrada and found it much better than the old 900ss.

I was born right here in the good old US of A, my parents were right off the boat from Sicily but for motorcycling purposes I'm Italian.. Wink

Tomster330 email vduc@prodigy.net if you’re interested in hooking up for a ride.

Vito
mr.vince0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote

The dl650 is the best value, but the Duc is sexier.
The Suzuki is reliable, bulletproof, fun to ride.
The Duc has "character", is red, and has sex appeal.
The Suzi moves in the twisties and tours forever with comfort.
The Duc moves me.
The DL650 is cheap to buy and own and maintain.
The Duc is like a high maintenance but beautiful woman.

You decide what you can live with.