Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Conflicted
gajas
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quote

I will be getting a Strada this comming summer but can't decide whether it's worth it to go for the upgraded S? Any suggestions would help.
1bobbydog

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote

Seems to me if you can afford the extra money, go for it, but if money is tight and you aren't an expert who can get the most out of the better suspension, then I'd think hard. The standard 1000DS, is, in my opinion an excellent all round bike and the stock Showa suspension is also very good. That's just my $0.02 worth, either way enjoy it.

History:
BMW K1200GT
BMW K1200LT
BMW 1100RS
Moto-Guzzi EV11
Ducati 907ie (wish I still had it)
Honda Nighthawk 650
Triumph Bonneville
doctor_john

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quote

In my opinion ONLY at race track you will notice the diference... Wink

I will suggest 1000DS.

Cool

PS: after all i think that OHLINS manufactured in Japan now (if anyone knows something diferent, please report)

PS2: i use to uprgade SHOWA with the help of my local OHLINS dealer and they are GREAT! Also if you like the "smoked gold" color you could send your frond for electrostatic bath paint...
rays

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote

i have the standard model, and it handles like a dream. my abilities cannot push the bike nearly enough to get any benefit from an S suspension upgrade. the engines are identical between the two.

you rather may want to choose to spend any extra dollars on termi exhausts, or any of the other excellent systems that folks on this board have added. with the stock exhausts, the MTS sounds kind of anemic. and with the termi upgrade, the entire engine breathes easier, as well as getting the ducati unique exhaust sound.

but you can't go wrong with either choice.

i'd also strongly recommend ducati performance mirrors with either choice. mine cost $134.00 for the pair and 1/2 hour labor ($32) for installation at my dealer.

ray
Hampus
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote

doctor_john wrote:

PS: after all i think that OHLINS manufactured in Japan now (if anyone knows something diferent, please report)

I think Öhlins is manufactured in Sweden. Or is that history now that Yamaha owns most of the company?
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote

I think that the Ohlins may make more difference on the street rather than the track. The Showas can be adjust to be firm on the track, but them may loose the 'plushness' at street speeds. The Ohlins are very plush at street speeds, yet I hear still work great on the track.
I say that having never taken the bike to the track.

I don't ride that hard anymore, but I find the Ohlins are fantastic, even at a moderate pace on the street.
You really can beat it for the price difference.

Now if you are talking used, that is different. You could pick up a used 'standard' for much less than a new 'S. Not many S's on the used market.

Mark
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote

For what Ducati's charging for the entire "S" upgrade, you could only buy maybe just the rear shock. If you can affort it, go for the "S". You get way more than your money's worth between the forks, shock and carbon goodies.
Gizmo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote

gajas wrote:
I will be getting a Strada this comming summer but can't decide whether it's worth it to go for the upgraded S? Any suggestions would help.

I had a DS and then bought an DS S, the suspension is worth having, you also get carbon cam covers, carbon fender, alloy handlebars with riser plates the DPP price for those items is almost the difference betwen a DS and an S never mind rear shock and forks. Also the second hand value will be better on an S, there are fewer around. If u can afford it go for it, i bought my S with 1000 miles on it for less than a new DS list price

05 999S, Moto Guzzi Norge 07
Laverda Montjuic 500 (81)
gajas

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:18 pm Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody for their input... That did help me make a decision.
Tee-Dub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Suspension is the best upgrade you can ever make to a bike, period. The Ohlins will ride like a Cadillac and handle like a Ferrari. If you aren't the type to upgrade your bikes, don't worry about it, but if you are, just buy the "S". For $1500 more you are getting about $500 worth of carbon fiber, you are getting an $1100 rear shock, a $2500 pair of front forks, approx $200 bar/riser set up, and the wheels come black, like all the others should. So for $1500 you are getting approximately $4300 worth of upgrades. A no brainer in my book, if the "s" had been available when I bought mine I wouldn't have even considered the base model.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote

Tee-Dub wrote:
A no brainer in my book, if the "s" had been available when I bought mine I wouldn't have even considered the base model.
Ditto