Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Looking at options for a commuter
funksouljon
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote

Hello all. Recently took a job that I knew would dictate a commute, the trade-off being I would get a bike and get back on 2 wheels for as much of the year as I can. Heavily leaning to a MS over FJR (big, but fits most of the needs), Concours (old tech, boring), VFR (800 is low power) or a K/R bike (they are proud of their bikes). If only because we do get weather and have a number of roads in CO where suddenly the pavement will just end and convert to dirt. Not looking for off road, but may end up living off a mountain road that isn't paved (plowed, but not paved) if all goes to plan in 2 years.

Been reading and trying to sort the year/model gaps, but also struggling with what issues the '10-'12 have and if I should stick to '13 +.

What should I consider if I get a 10-12? vs a 13+?
What do the real world costs run for each maintenance cycle? Valve checks a DIY or worth the $1400 etc? Turning wrenches doesn't scare me.
For 10-12 vs 13+, what are the pros / cons?
What questions/considerations am I missing? I've been looking at the options on cycle trader that are low mileage '10--15 for less that $10k.

I do want heated grips and bags. But it will be mostly a commuter for the next couple of years. Hoping but not planning on many weekend trips for now.

If I didn't see a related thread, tell me. Otherwise, opinions and ideas are welcome. Looking at pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks price pending.
moby34
MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote

There aren't issues with the 10-12s any different from later models, and any that occurred should've been sorted out already. The 13+ have the skyhook suspension which some like but not necessary. Doing the 15k service if done by yourself (plenty of vids of process) will only cost you $200 for the belts and maybe a shim kit, but once the valves are set probably won't need them.