Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: How about Monster 1000 vs MTS?
kearnejs
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've tried neither (yes, I've never ridden a monster). Specifically I'm wondering about things like ground clearance, rider seating position, passenger comfort. Seeing as they have the same motor, similar tires/suspension combination, it's more of a comfort/style comparison. I want something that can be a little sporty if it has to (occasional trackday), but still has comfort over the 1/2 hour I get on my 851.
Thanks, Scott
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:30 pm Reply with quote

I had an opportunity last summer to ride these two bikes back to back at a Ducati rally in Tennessee. It was the Multistrada launch in the US and they had 12 new Ducatis to ride on fantastic roads. The difference in riding these bikes is more than you would think.

While the riding position is comfortable enough on the Monster, there's a little more forward lean, and narrower bars. Those narrower bars cause the monster to need more effort to turn. It still handles well, just not as quickly as the MTS. There's also less wind protection on the Monster. If I were buying the 1000DS Monster, the very first thing I'd do is change the gearing. It's so tall it's ridiculous. I believe it comes with a 38 tooth rear sprocket. The motor was loafing in 5th gear at 90mph. I don't know how you'd ever use 6th. Ground clearance wasn't an issue for me on either bike. The MTS has cushier suspension than the Monster, so it's a matter of preference whether you'd like a longer travel, softer suspension. If the roads are rough in your area, it's a nice feature. The Monster seat is padded better than the MTS seat. Some have like the stock MTS seat, but I suspect they've had nerve damage to their butt in the past. It's a board. Think As far as passenger comfort, IMO neither would be something to take on a long trip with someone on back, but I'm guessing the MTS might be best.

Take them both for a ride, and good luck with your decision.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:07 pm Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I placed an order for a Multistrada as soon as I got home. I guess that says what I thought of the two bikes. Very Happy