Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Test ride...
Il Vento
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:45 am Reply with quote

This Friday, I will be taking a Multistrada out for a test ride. If all goes well, then I will put a deposit down on a nice red one.

Currently, I have a 2001 Triumph Sprint ST and a 2003 Monster M620. The Monster is perfect for commuting and short trips around town and I am going to keep it. However, I plan to do a lot of touring in hilly/mountanous areas where the road surfaces are, well, less than perfect. That being the case, the Triumph is going to go.

At 5'9"/170# with a 30" inseam, I'm not a big guy. Is there anything that I should pay special attention to? (That applies to both good and bad characteristics...)

Thanks in advance. This is a great site!

Caio,

Il Vento
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:02 am Reply with quote

Hello Il vento,
Personally I wouldn't look upon the MST as a go any where dual purpose bike. There are other bikes which are better when the black top changes to dirt. Look at the new BMW R1200GS. I have tested the 1150GS extensively and it was an extremely close call between an old 1150GS and a new MST - I ordered a new MST, because 99.99999% of my riding will be on roads and the majority of my time on the bike will be commuting through city traffic. We are the same height and leg length, so a KTM Adv 950, Triumph Tiger, MZ Baghira are out.

Also look at the problems page, see what problems people have been having. Having said that some one, some where will have problems with anything, so don't let that out you off too much.

best of luck
Il Vento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote

Okay, maybe I should have made it clear that the roads will be paved...

The major problem here is the irregularity of the road surfaces that is caused by frost heaves that happen every winter. (Our temperatures range from -30 degrees F in the dead of winter to +100 degerees F in summer...) The frost heaves tend to cause the road surface to become wavy or choppy. In some cases, it beaks up entirely with leads to tar "snakes" and/or patches. And being winding raods, these things pop up without much warning.

My experience has been that these kinds of things tend to upset sport bikes and sport/tourers. I am hoping that the suspension of the Multistrada will be better able to cope with those things.
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:35 pm Reply with quote

The MST has 25mm more suspension travel than the superbike range (source Italian Bike No 7 July/August 2003). Best thing to do is to borrow one for a few hours and try it out on your favourite piece of road and see how it feels. To me a MST is a sports bike, but in a much friendlier, usable format. I strongly suggest you try the German alternative, their suspension is very good, especially on less than smooth surfaces. I was torn between my next choice of bike, but in the end I've gone for the sexy Italian red head ... Cool
Il Vento

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:27 pm Reply with quote

Thanks. All of your points are well taken.

I'll let you know how I make out. Wink
don pussehl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Frost heaves and potholes are dealt with very nicely.Last summer I did Vermont rte 100 with intermittent thunderstorms- big ones- while exploring the state for the first time and the bike was awesome.My favorite quick ride hereabouts is a snakey bumpy no room for error little road from Galesville to North Beach and it is always full of surprises and fun Don
Il Vento

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote

Actually, I've been posting messages in the general category since I have become the proud owner of a Multistrada.

My test ride consisted of about thirty miles of twisty, hilly and sometimes bumby roads out near Sebago Lake, here in Maine. It didn't take all thirty miles to convince me that I had to have an MTS.

Mine's red and the dealer (Moto Milano) is in the process of installing a Termi/open airbox/chip kit, a tall windscreen and a centerstand. She should be ready for me on Thursday. Now if the d%$n snow would just go away...
Rocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote

Il Vento wrote:

At 5'9"/170# with a 30" inseam, I'm not a big guy. Is there anything that I should pay special attention to? (That applies to both good and bad characteristics...)

!

Caio,

Il Vento

I only have a 29" inside seam and I manage OK so that should not be a problem for you