Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: ktm950 or multistrada
Goto page 1, 2  Next
dsport
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:36 am Reply with quote

This probably sounds like an odd pair to be torn about. I'm in the market to get one. I love the way the mutli 1000 looks and sounds. The thing is, I'm an old ktm guy and have owned many. I know they can go the distance. When I say go the distance I mean w/o many or any problems. I'm into adventure touring. I really want a multistrada, but...... Think

Can someone convince me? thanks from texas
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote

Those are the two bikes that it came down to for me...if you think you will be using it mostly on pavement, buy the Duc. If you think you want to do a lot of off roading...get the KTM. I bought the Multi, and I absolutely love it..

But...

The KTM really got under my skin, also, so I'm looking for a KTM 640 Adventure to add to the mix.

Double the pleasure, double the fun.

Did I help you with your decision? Probably not...you are just in the same boat as me. I figure that pair will be a perfect mix for me..
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote

dsport wrote:
This probably sounds like an odd pair to be torn about. I'm in the market to get one. I love the way the mutli 1000 looks and sounds. The thing is, I'm an old ktm guy and have owned many. I know they can go the distance. When I say go the distance I mean w/o many or any problems. I'm into adventure touring. I really want a multistrada, but...... Think

Can someone convince me? thanks from texas
Not so odd of a pair as discussions of the KTM have come up many times in the past. Do a forum search with the key words "KTM 950" and you will see. There are many here who view the Multistrada as an adventure touring bike but IMO it's really not. I could see where it could be considered as an adventure touring bike with the right tires but since it uses sportbike wheels you won't be able to find anything but sportbike tires for it. For that reason (IMO) it is an absolute pig off the road as would any bike be running on similar rubber.

rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:55 am Reply with quote

Hey wayward, forgive my lack of knowledge on this but I have wondered since I first heard of 'stradas why, if tires were a problem, people didn't fit a different tire to go off-road. With you mentioning the wheels I have seen the light!! Rolling Eyes

Does this apply to the 620 as well? I haven't even enquired as to what was available, just assumed that when i wanted a better tire there would be one!!

I find the 620 quite acceptable (apart from a bit of front wheel wander) on the odd gravel roads I ride but haven't tried it on any real dirt.
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:19 am Reply with quote

rasty wrote:
Does this apply to the 620 as well? I haven't even enquired as to what was available, just assumed that when i wanted a better tire there would be one!!
Not sure but I assume so, I would have to check the specs on Ducati's website or defer to a 620 owner.

QuiChenKane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote

With the stock tires (Pirelli Diablo Stradas) any off-roading is a sphincter-puckering experience, at least in my opinion. I grew up riding all kinds of dirt bikes, and this thing is built for pavement, or hard-packed dirt roads at best. Loose gravel is an experience that will wake you up, as well. But the long suspension travel soaks up the bumps pretty well, so maybe if you could find better tires, or more dirt bike oriented rims that could be made to fit via adapters or some such, it might be a different story. I'll let my warranty expire before I take it off the beaten path too much.

I have no experience with the KTM models in question.

Hope this helps.

Gabriel, 620 owner.

2006 Multi 799R (body in primer, progress tragically halted by my chronic inability to shit money.)
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote

I was planning on buying an LC8 to replace my Airhead GS, but I have always lusted after a Ducati. Unfortunately I have been in a bunch of car and bike wrecks and my back is messed up - so I need a bike I can sit up straight on. Even the ST3 and ST4 are too much - but the MTS is perfect in that regard.

I had not planned on buying a bike last year, instead saving up for the LC8, so when I learned about the MTS it just struck my fancy. When I went to ride a local used one I found that this was a very fun bike and so I bought it on a whim.

I may or may not still buy an LC8, but now that I have the MTS and still have a DR 350 I am not sure I need the LC8 unless I was going to do some really long distance adventure touring that included off-pavement/off-road riding. Either way, I would probably wait until the 990 LC8 comes out in the US (late this year, next year?) and has maybe been out for a while.
KTM 950

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:25 am Reply with quote

Not suprised it has come down to those two choices. I have a Monster 900 and a KTM 950. After riding the Multistrada 1000S-DS I loved it! I just about sold the Monster to buy a Multistrada 1000S-DS. Both The MS and KTM are excellent but they are so similar I thought it to be redundent to own both. Enter the "Hypermotard" and I'm already saving my money for the ultimate Monster replacement. Since I'm familiar with both I will try to summerize the differences.

KTM 950:

UPS: Incredible suspension, thin and light feeling nice power, very stable with long wheelbase. Great road bike and dirt roads too. Perfect brakes. and the nicest (lightest) clutch feel of any bike I have ever owned.

DOWNS: No fuel injection-choke to start, very tall-6 ft rider can barely touch both feet, uncomfortable stock seat

MS 1000S-DS

UPS: Ohlins suspension, great handling and nice power(esp. down low), sounds out of this world with aftermarket exhaust. Perfect fit the ergonomics just fit me. Fuel injection, comfortable seat and nice bars. Simple air cooled design that is proven to be dedendable.

DOWNS: Not as attractive as most Ducatis. Front brake chatter at times, low fuel waring without miles left? Heavy clutch feel.

Clearly the UPS greatly outweigh the DOWNS for both bikes so it would be a good idea to check them both out. In summary choosing is a win win situation since you will likely think they are both awsome.
prowen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:27 am Reply with quote

Actually, KTM 950 forgot to include something important under the 'down' section for the Austrian machine. The KTM lacks the grip of the Ducati on the road, and sure squirms around a lot on its dual-purpose tyres when you lean it over. It also has slower steering and can't carve up a corner like the Multistrada.
Don't get me wrong, the Katoom is a great bike that would be welcome in my 'dream garage' anytime. It's one of the best dual-purpose machines around, but like all bikes trying to be all things to all riders, it is a compromise both on the road and off. Buy one if you wish to restrict your riding pleasure. I'm personally happier to have both the Multi and a proper lightweight dirtbike in my 'reality garage'.
deanrd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Shocked Would you be able to run something like the Pirelli
MT 60-R Corsa 160/60VR-17 rear and 120/70VR-17 front? These were made for the KTM.

I have a seasonal site at a campground that I run down a dirt road to. About 2 miles long, loose gravel. The only spot I'm really careful is a small hill on a corner that is always dug up and soft. I used the front brake only once! I don't take the corners too fast either.

Dean

MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote

I'll take dirt over gravel any day on my Multi 620...and prior to purchasing the 620 I almost bought the KTM 650. The only problem I had with it was it was too dang tall for me, even with the lowering kit. There was absolutely no way I was ever going to touch the ground on that thing. (Which is probably the whole idea anyways... lol)

Just a suggestion...I was looking into joining an Alaskan motorcycle tour later on this year and the bikes they have to rent or recommend to use include the standard assortment of dirt bikes and BMW's -- and Multistradas. These tours include hundreds of miles of dirt and gravel roads. Perhaps you could contact one of these companies and find out what tire they're using on the Multi's? Obviously someone has come up with a way to put different tires on that are more suited to off-roading.

Karen
Macca916
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Having previously owned a ktm950 and now a ss1000ds I can compare the two engines easily and offer thoughts on the ktms ride handling.
side by side (and both stock) the duc 1000DS has better low grunt though the tale differs higher up the rev band when the ktm takes off (5~6K revs) if you could get a combination of both it would be superb. I must admit whilst I love the low down grunt of the ds I do miss the top end rush.
That all said I'm considering a swap of my SS for a MS , the SS was a last stab at sports bike riding b4 I admit the aching bones are too stiff and its been a challenge.
On the handling front the ktm has superb control from the stock WP but it does steer fairly slowly (21" compared to 17" fronts) and whilst it never let go I always wondered how far u can push a 21" front when cranked over. Suspect its better steered on the throttle rather than riding on the front.
If Ducati made a MS with the 999 engine I'd be there in a shot.! Cant think why they don't especially since the monster is now offered with the testastretta 999 lump.
tolski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote

I agree, put the 999 lump in the Multi & a lot of riders would never consider owning another bike. I don't think Ducati would have to concern themselves too much about competitive pricing, I'd sell my wife for one. Wonder what the outstanding balance would be?

MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote

tolski wrote:
I'd sell my wife for one. Wonder what the outstanding balance would be?

Man, start running now before she looks at the screen!! Pray
AdventureOneTours
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote

As to the tire question, the Dunlop D616 made for the Buell Ulysses looks to be the best combination of paved and unpaved surface tire. Have a set but have not run them yet.

Oakley

01 Aprilia Mille R Track bike