Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I switch from the ST2?
Drock
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm an ST2 owner and I'm considering a slightly used 1000DS. I would certainly appreciate some insight from people who are over the "wow-factor" and can give me some advice. We all love our bikes, I don't doubt it's a wonderful bike, but is it right?

My wife is just starting to ride with me. She feels I'm too far away on the ST2 because of my angle over the tank. I find the position confortable but have enjoyed a friend's Honda Transalp and so might like the Multi's riding position. Could anyone tell me whether she'd be confortable back there? She's maybe 5'7", 125lbs or so.

Second, I adore my bike while winding through vinyards and mountain passes here in Switzerland, riding along at 50-70mph. But at low, urban speeds it's grunty. Is the multi any better?

Lastly, and perhaps I'm just a new rider on an Italian bike, but to start the bike I need to press-twist-hope-wait-hope-twist-Vroom! Not exactly punchy and it doesn't fill me with confidence. I have 30,000KM on (call it 18K miles) and just had a full service. The dealer insists everything is "nickel" as they say in French. Will the Multi made me feel more confident that my bike will start once my gloves are on?

Thanks for the advice.

Derek.
BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:43 pm Reply with quote

The Multi lives for the corners.

Due to some health concerns I can't ride bent over like a monkey fornicating a football for long stretches anymore and find the upright position of the Multi great.

You have the option of sliding back on the seat and bending over the tank if you want to, and with a tankbag this is a great option for short burst, at least short for me.

Go with the Multi and I don't think you will ever regret it.
roro
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:53 pm Reply with quote

i have had dirt bikes, scooters, mopeds, harley davidsons, and tank hugger jap bikes all before i got a multi 1000ds. and i must say it is the most versital bike i have owned, not to mention the most practical. your wife will love the change in riding position (and at 125lbs you'll never know she was there). however, the ride hieght is a bit taller than the st2. if your any shorter than about 5ft. 10in. your heels might have trouble touching the ground withit out riding boots. as far as firing with more consistantance, it's hard to say. i've had mine for about 6,000 miles and am having some issues with the engine cutting out on me in the morning when the bike isnt warm. its a great bike, you'll love it. thats all i got.
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote

As for starting - I think a properly running MTS will start almost everytime you touch the button - no throttle manipulation required until it is running, and then only to keep it running if it is cold. I've never had problems in that regard.

As for two up - I don't know as I haven't tried that yet, I don't think the pillion will be as comfortable as my GS, but I can't ride any of the STs so I don't recall what their pillion is like. She will be closer though.

I don't know what the gearing is like on the STs either, but if you drop down one tooth in the front on the MTS it should be more than acceptable in the city - although it won't creep along like most other bikes I have had - you will have to use the clutch.
nostatic
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:42 pm Reply with quote

my g/f is 5/7" 125lbs and she is very comfortable on the back. With the DP rear topcase, she has a backrest, and is plenty close to me, as the position is more upright than on an STx.

There is no "push, twist, hope" with the MTS. They've sorted the FI pretty well, and you just tap the button and it starts. You don't even have to keep the starter button down...just push it once and release. The engine management does the rest. At 3500 miles I have had no issues except for a leaky fuel tank that was fixed under warranty.

I personally didn't like the stock bars and went with clipons. This gave me a bit more of an STx-like hand position which I like a lot, but I'm not hunched over the tank or anything. But I'm 6'1" so ymmv.

take a ride on one. You'll know pretty quickly...especially since you already know Ducs.

MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Here is some first hand experience to try and help with your decision. I am just leaving an ST4s after having ridden it 34,000 miles = 55,080km. My girlfriend has been with me for most of those miles/km. This was her first moto experience (5'9" & 160lbs.) and she progressed from anaconda to living for the curves as much as I do. She only knew the ST and for her it was always a bit of a challenge holding position on the seat ex: sliding, etc... The engine is dead so I traded for a MTS1000SDS. I warmed to it right away but she was more nostalgic for the ST, until last weekend. We took a 250 mile/ 405km road trip with our buddy with an ST3s. Of course we traded at 130 miles and the results were surprising. She and I were both dieing to get back on the MTS just 30 miles/ 48kms later. Her backside was soar and my hands had gone numb, the lack of wind had us overheating in our gear (air temp ~105 F). She has also commented on how far we can lean over in turns and how smooth the bike feels (suspension not my right hand). The STs are great bikes but I don't see me going back to one. Now if I can just figure out a way to make the MTS fast... Oh yeah the push and release starting on the MTS is nice. The STs need to have the battery/starter rewired from time to time and I recommend the kit from powerlet. The rewire helps the starting a bit but it was never confidence inspiring to me, not like the MTS has been.
Mark
2006 MTS1000SDS 610miles/1000km and counting Smile
2002 ST4s 34,000 miles and dead (traded) Crying or Very sad
Naught
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Drock,
I live very close to Geneva. Send me a PM and we can meet for a ride and you will see just how much fun the Multi is. It commutes, tours and races through the twisties like a dream.
Naught