Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: BMW F650 GS for a brand new Multi
matt77
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:51 am Reply with quote

Hello....

I'm thinking about trading in my BMW 650GS for a brand new Multistrada 1000 DS, but am would be keen to know how the Multi stands up and what current owners think of it for general all round use (commuting, sunday afternoon blasts etc etc).

I've read that the finish and comfort could be some of the negative points but would be keen to hear if this is the case?

Thanks
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote

Matt77,

the two bikes are different in design and purpose. Best thing for you will be to find a Duc dealer and test a Multi.

Best. Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
oz_kath

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote

Hi there,

I traded in at the end of last year my F650GS for the Multistrada (the 1000DS). I'm a shorty (165cm) so the Multi is a tad too high for me but I'm learning to handle it. I haven't done any long tours on it yet but so far I've had only fun, fun, fun on the bike. I mainly do day tours and then a couple of week long tours each year - living in Switzerland, I enjoy heading to the mountains and taking on the small twisty pass roads. The Multi seems perfect for this - it's so nimble and offers that satisfying acceleration without effort when leaving a hair-pin bend.

I will not use the bike for commuting (my gut feeling is that the stiff clutch would be a pain in stop-and-go traffic unless you have hands of iron - however, perhaps that's different with the smaller multi).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. I can recommend (so far) the switch!
Chairguy
MTS: 2006 620 Dark

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote

Oh My, thats is a lay-up.. The beemer is an OK bike, I have ridden one & my friend has ridden my MTS 620 (not 1000) We both were like hmmm 650 ? really..

Two words Night & day... My 620 I felt was an upgrade.. So the 1000 would be like living in another world..

Comfort wise I think like any bike you will need to tweake it in order to get a good fit.. I have done the 14 hour death march on mine & was fine.

Once you ride the multi you will know..

Urb

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

When you ride the Multi, I'm sure you'll hate yourself for owing the 650; or at least wonder what were you thinking when you got it Smile .

Also consider the 620 Multi too.

Regards,

Doc

BikerRN
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote

I went from a 1450cc Harley to a 620 Multi and gained more than I "lost".

The 620 is great for commuting in town and loves the twisties. It is very nimble and quick in the corners. Of course, on the long straights I lose out due to not having the top end speed of a 1000. For me it's ok, in the twisties I can lead the 1000cc bikes, or at least "hang" with them until the straights.

For me it's all about the corners. Since I don't ride 2-up I'm best served by the 620.
matt77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks the replies.

My interest in the Multi stems from wanting a bike that has a "go anywhere" type appeal i.e. useable for commuting, great on the open-road, even better in the twisties and can be used for long-dstance.

One of my biggest frustrations with the F650GS is that it can do all of the above but is void of any excitement/grin factor.

I plan to test ride the Multi 1000DS in the next week or so so will know more then.
rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote

Matt - I can't comment on the 1000 but I know my 620 suits the NZ conditions just great for me, bearing in mind I am a shorty (oz-kath and I would probably fight it out who was shortest). I do know it is really hard to stop grinning when you ride. Are you North or South?
matt77

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi - I'm North, Wellington to be precise.

Had thought about the 620 but isn't that too similar to my current F650GS? I can see how it would be more practicle for commuting and the short stuff.
ge360
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote

From what I've read here about NZ police, more power = more fines. If you plan on staying anywhere close to the speed limit the 620 has plenty of power and lots of Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy

This thing is so easy to ride and commuting I get 50+mpg
rasty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote

I don't know Matt. I had no problem keeping up with the big guys on the Rusty Nut run recently and that was a total over both islands of 6k plus. It got quite fast at times and very fast at other times and the 620 was fine - wet-dry-fast-slow didn't matter to me or the bike.

I think Doc has posted a couple of times on this site not to underestimate the 620. I don't want to knock the Beemer but there is a huge difference between it and the 620 'strada.

That said though, it comes down to what suits you best - I went for the ride height and the lightness and didn't really expect to get a bike I feel so strongly about. Now that I have it it's hard to think of when I might want to/be able to go any faster than I do now, but I never ride 2 up though I do carry a fair bit of gear at times.

Whicever one you buy, I am sure you'll enjoy it. Good luck!

PS I'm in Auckland
rasty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote

Sorry matt, I just read my post -- I didn't mean to come across as a 620 salesman! It is just that I like my bike so much!!! Very Happy Very Happy

If I bought a 1000 I would probably have been the same about it. Good luck
matt77

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote

Wow. What can I say. Went to see my local ducati dealer and took the 1000DS for a ride. What a bike! Suffice to say that in 3 weeks time i will be riding a multistrada. I opted for the 620 in the end given that I will use the bike for commuting and weekend rides + having a preference for the lighter and smaller bike.

I'd be interested to hear if people have done much 2 up riding or touring on the 620. Living in New Zealand there are some great places to ride to!

Cheers