Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multi or ST3?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:02 pm Reply with quote

I was on the fence between the ST3 and The MTS. I had an ST3 for a week and I decided that I wanted to reach an older age. So I got the MTS.

The ST3 is too fast of a bike for me you find yourself doing 100mph in a blink ...

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
spike748
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote

I agree with Mich748r. I owned an ST4s and while it was a great bike and had touring capability I was smitten by the MTS1000. It sure has all you need from a sports tourer, the MTS that is! Good luck with your chosen steed.

'95 Suzuki Bandit (Red, Dog's dinner)(Sold)
'83 Honda CG 125 (Brazilian Dog's Dinner)(Sold)
'76 Honda 400/4 F.1 (Basket case) (WIP!!)
Alaskan
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the opinions. I gather that each bike is able to tour the long miles, but the consensus here is that the MTS is more versatile and suitable for different situations. And it's sportier. My dealer has a MTS demo but not an ST3. Therefore I am really paying attention to what you guys are saying about the ST3. It sounds like the ST3 is long-legged and really great for the big miles, though the MTS is a capable sport tourer. I guess I have to find a couple of bikes to road test . . . .
hobatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:19 am Reply with quote

Knox:

Personally, I think the 'Strada is at least as good for long rides as the ST. I've put a fair number of miles on both bikes, and for an Alaska/Yukon Territory/BC ride I'd take the 'Strada every time.

Both are good sport touring machines, but the versatility of the 'Strada really shines in all the Northwest riding areas. Less than perfect roads, some dirt & construction zones sets the MTS apart from the ST. About a month ago I took an '07 'Strada 1100 all the way across Canada and it was a perfect ride for the challenge. I've also ridden the MTS quite a bit in Alaska. If you are looking for a bike for your part of the country, give the "Strada a serious look.

Hobatz
Alaskan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote

Hobatz, you speak from experience, so I suspect you and others are correct about the Multi. I am an Interceptor rider, and I am used to the clip-on bars and positioning of a bike very much like the ST3. In your opinion, the Multi's more upright position and half-fairing is . . .

something you get used to?
preferrable?
something I never even think about?
hobatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote

Knox:

Sorry for the tardy reply to your question. Got lost somewhere in the triangle between Maryland, Arizona & Utah. Think I found myself.

Using your three options for answers. guess I'd have to go with door number three....I never think about the position. Bike just feels very natural, but so does the ST 4S I ride, which has the same ergos as the ST 3 and somewhat similar to the Viffer you ride/rode.

Don't complicate the process of choosing. Riding should be a gut & butt process. If your gut tells you you're on the right bike and your butt agrees, just hole it & roll it and forget about it. There is no "best" bike, just the one that punches your fun button. I've ridden an ST pretty much everywhere in Alaska, The Yukon Territories and Canada, as I have the 'Strada. I enjoyed both, but my personal choice would be the MST for that part of the world.

Hobatz
dcarchitect
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote

I also have had the ST4s before the Multi 1000. Both are great, but coming off a VFR the St4s seemed lower quality in some regards to linkages and plastics.( not regarding motor or suspension though)
The ST bikes date from back to 1998 about, and well the Multi from 2003. Bike quality in general is improving very Fast, and Ducati more than others.
Everything you touch on a multi is higher grade, especially the 1000s.
The only two let downs for quality on the multi is the Chrome handlebar, which most of us change, and the gas cap.
The multi is a better ride around town, because of the seating position.
With a Laminar Windscreen the multi is better than the old St4s with an extended screen.
Wrist pain is not a problem for me, back of the neck is my problem, this vanishes with the Multi. I am 6'-3 and 190lbs
The St4s is stronger above 7,000rpms, but it is geared taller, so the St3 is better geared
The multi with a complete exhaust set up is just as fast for most riding, 60-90mph.
I used to Ride the St4s, not going back from the Multi.
I have rode from Richmond Virginia to Chicago two up, and am leaving Chicago to go to San diego on Wednesday, with the same girl (the first trip did not turn her away). The Multi Does Distance two up very well.
We saw 128 mph once, but there are some race tracks near us.
Get the Multi.
Alaskan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:43 am Reply with quote

You guys are killing me! My heart says ST3 but my head says Multi. Jeez, I wish I has twice the cash.

dcarchitect, what kind of bars are folks putting on the Multi - not clip ons, I imagine.
lotus54

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote

Alaskan wrote:
dcarchitect, what kind of bars are folks putting on the Multi - not clip ons, I imagine.

I put Rizoma bars on my 'S'. More angle on the bars back (swept back more) slightly more down angle. Just a little lower.
I like them a lot more than the stock bars.

Mark

Beta XTrainer 300
cliffst
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote

listen to your heart.
JohnB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote

IMO, the ST3 is probably better if most of your riding is going to be high speed (over 75 mph) and long distance by nature of its superior wind protection. This is one of the reasons I bought an FJR to go with my MTS. Greater wind protection will also lengthen my riding season. However, if most of your riding is going to be anything other than long distance, high speed touring, then the MTS is superior.
ducaati
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote

I ride an ST3. It is a damn rocket, you feel fine doing 100, the bike handles so well it's like you're in a parking lot when you're on the freeway. Things do happen quickly at that speed, be careful. If you get the ST3, get ABS! I love the smoothness of the ST3 engine. The bar position does bother me, but I'm going to try converti-bars, and if that doesn't fix it, it's gone for a multi. The ST3 is an autobahn bike, feels quite composed at speed. The multi an all rounder, it seems. I did ride a multi around the block, great riding position.

Always go with your heart, and don't look back.
Alaskan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:18 pm Reply with quote

I appreciate every opinion expressed here about these two bikes. Head or heart ? I still haven't decided which one will replace my Interceptor, but it's one or the other.
martins

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Multi Very Happy

spike748
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Get the Multi.

Owned an ST4s previously, they are a quick motor but 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Get the MTS Very Happy

'95 Suzuki Bandit (Red, Dog's dinner)(Sold)
'83 Honda CG 125 (Brazilian Dog's Dinner)(Sold)
'76 Honda 400/4 F.1 (Basket case) (WIP!!)