Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Ducati Purchase 101
Rich
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote

Greetings...this is my first post here. I'm 53 and I've been street riding for about a year. I have a DL650 that's fun to ride, but ultimately pretty boring, and yes, it's ugly. Most of my riding buddies have cruisers; Harleys & Victories, but try as I might, I just can't get into that whole cruiser thing...not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me. I want a fun bike to ride plus something that'll also do duty as garage art, whereas the Wee-Strom just seems to take up valuable garage space.

Last weekend I saw my first 620 Multistrada and it was love at first sight. Where have they been hiding these things? I test drove a Monster 620 & a Multistrada 1000 today (they didn't have a MTS 620 to demo so I had to combine the two). I had a really fun morning and now need a red Multistrada 620.

I have a couple of questions...Can I expect the dealer to come down on the price at all? Are the set-up and shipping costs negociable? Anything else I should know? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Hopefully, by this time next week, I'll be riding a Ducati and my Wee-Strom will just be a pleasant memory.

Rich
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
I have a couple of questions...Can I expect the dealer to come down on the price at all? Are the set-up and shipping costs negociable? Anything else I should know? I'd really appreciate any advice.
Around here is kind of doubt you can get them to come down much. As far as I know there are only two dealers - Eastside Ducati and Seattle Ducati - but you know, it never hurts to try - and definitely look at what both will offer, not just one.

I think that was my mistake; I just went out one day and test rode a used bike, then decided to buy it on the spot. Had I thought about it I would probably have bought an new 'S' model instead of a used non-'S' model, even though it was more. I would have shpped around too.

Or maybe not - I am crazy that way. But that is what I would do today if I had to do it all over again.

BTW - I ride in your neck of the woods all the time - great riding area.
battam
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 3:52 am Reply with quote

I don't think there's much negotiation on the bike's price...unless you get 2 dealers pitted against one another...but there really isn't much room to move. You will definitely be able to negotiate dealer prep and shipping charges, though. I was able to get the prep and shipping thrown in, traded in an old GS500, and got a couple hundred bucks off my 1000s DS.

Also, you could possibly get the dealer to throw in some accessories.

This is all from my viewpoint...but, feeling comfortable with the dealer and it's service department will go a long way. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for the sanity of knowing my tech will go the extra mile to take care of my bike.

There are alot of guys on this board that can better give insight to your local dealers and service depts.

Good luck! and you'll never turn back or ever second guess your purchase of a Multistrada! Mr. Green

www.OnAnyMoto.com
Rich

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:22 am Reply with quote

Adventure Rider & battam, thanks for the help.

AR, yeah there's some great roads around here. This is where I learned to ride on the street. I rode 400 miles before I went 10 feet on dry pavement...gotta love the convergence zone. Eastside Motorsports!!! I forgot all about that place. If they're open tomorrow I'm heading down to check out what they've got.

battam, Accessories! I love accessories. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks again,
Rich
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Eastside Motorsports!!! I forgot all about that place. If they're open tomorrow I'm heading down to check out what they've got.

I believe they are closed Sunday and Monday, but I'm sure they'll let you buy on Tuesday.

I don't think Ducati allows much leeway for the dealers to negotiate on selling price, but I'm sure you can work some deals on service and/or goodies.

enjoy, scott
Adventure Rider
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Eastside Motorsports!!! I forgot all about that place. If they're open tomorrow I'm heading down to check out what they've got.
I don't think any of the shops are open tomorrow - usually closed on Monday, but especially tomorrow.

Eastside is where I bought mine, but I am of mixed opinions as to which dealer is better - Eastside or Seattle - right now I am leaning towards Seattle, especially with regards to service (it was Eastside that set my suspension to non standard settings, saying they were standard - and yet they did a good job of smoothing out the low RPMs).
XSTRADA
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:27 am Reply with quote

Almost went with the DL650 myself way back when.

So glad I didn't.

May the Multistrada force be with U.

Smile Smile Smile

MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote

hi. i'm 55 and purchased two ducati's over the past 5 years, in two different dealerships. one in south carolina and one in georgia. here's what i've found. and i'm pretty frugal and analytical. so i did a great deal of checking with other dealerships in the south east.

most likely, you will not get any reduction from the list price.

if the bike is last years model, or ducati is running a special, then of course you might get $500 or so off. i bought a 2000 monster 900 new, and ducati at that time was doing a $500 off promotion.

both dealers were willing to deal on the set up charge and freight, which usually is about $300. some dealers in atlanta charge $500. for my 2004, the dealer dropped this charge completely. for the monster, he cut it in half.

you likely will buy accessories. both dealers were willing to give me 20% off both on accessories i got then, as well as accessories that i purchased in the future. and i also got favorable labor rates, or for some accessories, no labor charge. this has saved me a good bit of money over the years, since i ended up getting a good bit of accessories. most people do. you will want louder exhaust, most likely, etc.

one dealer was willing to throw in the 600 mile checkup from free. otherwise this costs you something like $100+.

i've read on this board some guys buying bikes at larger shops have some better luck in getting some discount off of the list price, but many guys like me...their dealer sticking with list, but willing to negotiate on set up and accessories. i bought from small dealerships both times, but frankly the big shops in atlanta were far less willing to negotiate than the small shops.

here's one good example. the dealer where i got my monster was willing to deliver it to me for free, about 100 miles away. the dealers in atlanta wanted to charge me $500 for delivery to my house in augusta georgia.

i bet with the MTS 620, with a lower list price to start with, you will have a difficult time getting too many concessions.

oh yeah, one more thing. you didn't mention if you were going to trade in your current bike. if this was your plan, scrap it. sell your bike on your own, even if you have to let it go for less than its worth. i bet that still will be much more than your dealer will give you for it. again, that's been my experience. dealers don't want used bikes.

good luck.

ray
Rich

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote

Ray, right after I read the part of your post about trade-ins I put the V-Strom on Craigslist...it sold in 3 hours for way more I would have expected to get on a trade. Thanks.

Now I'm just waiting for the cash. I could have a Multistrada by Friday.
lotus54
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote

As Scott says, you may have better luck dealing on accessories and service.
I got my 'S' January a year ago and got a bit of a break in price, but it was pretty early in the year too.
Now is less likely to get much off, but it doesn't hurt to try.

There is also the Skagit dealer...

I had a very good sale experience with Seattle Ducati. I don't think the salesman I had is there anymore, but David was very responsive to emails. He even wrote back to me on Sundays.

Lots of us here in the Northwest, I'm over in Port Angeles.

Mark
rays
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote

rich:

wow! great for you. i think going to your dealer now with a clean cash deal, you will have good success with discounts on accessories, elimination or deep discount on set up and freight, 600 mi check, etc. maybe even a bit off of list, maybe if you wait until august. but then you go all summer only on 4 wheels, and that's no fun.

re. accessories. i strongly recommend the ducati performance mirrors over the stock. i bet you can get a 20% discount and free installation if you order them at the time of buying the bike.

you can see my and others posts re. these mirrors. i'm no wimp, and am about as risky as the next guy who rides motorcycles, albeit i'm not nuts. but i found the stock mirrors downright unsafe. the ducati performance mirrors are also beautiful.

ray
GrayMia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote

Lately what I've heard from friends and from reading posts is you're better off with something like......."alright I'll pay your price but you've got to throw in a new seat, 3 free oil changes, etc."

I guess the margins on a bike like Ducati are pretty low compared to the accessories and therefore your dealer is more likely to "play ball".

View my Duc at: http://www.graymia.com/Ducati.htm
grigia03
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:35 am Reply with quote

Rich,
I've bought 3 bikes from Ducati Seattle (the latest being a used MTS 1000) and they are a great dealership. Their service department has some real nice guys as well, and Dave will take care of you if there's ever a problem.

That being said, it's probably hard to get much of a deal on the 620 (lower margin bike), especially with the weather getting better. You might be able to swing a discount on accessories. I'd also look hard at some of the previous years' 1000's. They had a couple that were pretty well priced.

Good luck on your purchase, and, if you haven't done so already, check out Desmonorthwest.com (our local Ducati club).

Cheers,
Rafael