Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: New Member
BrianScotland
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:02 am Reply with quote

I am considering a MTS, one of my main considerations is passenger comfort, has anyones partners anything to say about rear seat?

I have a monster s4 right now so anything would be better than that as a pillion.

Will I miss the extra power of S4?

I found the spring on monster shock too soft for my 220lb (100kg) frame and ended buying an ohlins which transformed the handling, any comments on rear shock quality? any one fitted ohlins?

Have just test driven r1200gs and was most impressed but availability is not until August (thats the summer over in scotland) and only available with ABS (£750!)

Am considering an ex dem. year old mts, anything I should be aware of or look out for buying ex. dem.

What about tyres, I have Diablos on monster and love them any one tried them?

looking forward to feedback

Brian
mousouris
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:15 pm Reply with quote

While I am not fond of having a passenger on the back, my wife loves riding riding along on the back of my Multistrada. I have several bikes and she really has only liked riding on the back of the Multi, and a 1976 Honda CB400F super sport.

In answer to your question about missing the power of the S4, that is a subjective thing. I can tell you that I have a 916 that I ride regularly and I do not miss the power of the 916 when I am on the Multi at all.

Horsepower is a funny thing though... when I am out on the race track with the 916, the percentage of time I am holding the throttle at wide open is very small. So peak power is not really a huge issue for me. Furthermore, even though my 916 makes quite a bit less power than many other bikes that are on the track with me, I find it remarkably easy to run faster lap times. So once again, peak horsepower is not necessarily all that important. How a bike delivers the power it does make is, to me, far more important.

To make a long story short... I personally would not miss the power of the S4 at all.

Ron Mousouris
Jantah
Site Admin
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:22 pm Reply with quote

BrianScotland wrote:
Have just test driven r1200gs and was most impressed but availability is not until August (thats the summer over in scotland) and only available with ABS (£750!)

I've tested the BMW this weekend. Very nice bike, but compared to the Multistrada, it's a different beast altogether. The BMW reminded me of my previous bike ('92 TDM). Two things really stood out compared to the Duc: the lazy engine and the soft suspension.

The suspension on the GS is quite good actually, a lot softer than the Multistrada, very good on very bumpy roads. It probably compares to the Multistrada like the Multistrada compares to most sportsbikes. A lot of people here have commented on the soft/comfortable suspension of the Multistrada. To me, coming from the TDM, the Duc suspension feels very stiff.

The boxer engine was the real disappointment to me. It has a lot more torque and power than the 1000DS on paper, but it actually felt slower to me. And the vibrations. I don't quite know how to put it, but on the BMW, engine vibrations felt like they were working against the engine, whereas on the Ducati, vibrations feel much more natural.

But in the end, it's all down to personal taste, so have a go on the demo and than make up your mind. Have a look through the forum. Most of the common problems (fron brake vibe, dashboard misting, fuel gauge) are well documented here.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger Top
spo002

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Though the GS has a better pillion seat the Multy is not bad at all. If yo uplan to do long trips you can put the comfort seat which is an improvement.

As for power, 20 hp less is a big amount not to be mentioned. Allthough, I will agree with mousouris that Multistrada has a better way of putting those horses down than the S4. At least the one I have riden. So you feel that the bike is quicker. In twisty roads I think it is faster. On highways, just keep on the right lane and enjoy the scenery.

As of suspention I find the one installed very good and I dont think it needs ohlins, Unless you plan to race with the bike. The Diablos are better that the Scorpios in terms of grip but in wet road they suck. You decide what you sacrifice. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote

My wife says that she is a bit cramped - partly beacause on my previous bike, a Mille, I was leant away from her and partly because the grab rail is very close to the back of the seat, making it a bit tight to get your gloved hands in. On the plus side, she says the seat is fine and there is much less wind blast - thats because I get it all!
I do not miss the extra 25bhp of the Mille - it's suprising how much fun you can have at under 90mph!
This bike is seriously fast through the twisties...even two up!
Which brings us on to the suspension.
I would be suprised if you needed to fit a better shock - the standard suspension is fully adjustable - front and rear - and even has a remote rear preload adjuster.
Buy It!!!
el_hoppy

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote

If the grab rail is a problem, you can always get the topbox mount. Give the pillon more room and my GF prefers location of the grab handle on the sides. The topbox mount looks quite good so I am happy to leave it on all the time.