Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: long distance supermoto
Indy
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Hi Multistrada owners,

I'm looking for a new bike to replace my ageing Suzuki DR 800 BIG. I love sitting straight like on Enduros, but I'm riding on streets for 99,9%. I'm riding to work everyday (in summer) and doing day trips on the weekend.
So my new bike should be something like a "long-distance supermoto" Cool and I have narrowed my choices to KTM 950, BMW 1200 GS and Ducati Multistrada.

I will testride all three bikes in the near future, but there are questions that one ride can't answer (but hopefully you can).

About the Multistrada:
Is the Multistrada a robust and reliable bike (suitable for everyday use)?
Is the Multistrada easy to clean and maintain? Does the bike rust?
What (in your opinion) is the best thing about the Multistrada? and what is the worst?

Hoping for some honest answers from the guys who should really know about this - you the Multistrada owners.

thanks & cu,
Indy from Germany
MultiMan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:42 pm Reply with quote

OK, I'll try.

You're basically 100% street. So I would think that would give the nod to the the MS and GS1200 over the 950.

OK, now to choose between the remaining two, I guess it depends on what you mean by "long-distance," what your commute is like and how you use your bike for fun on the weekends.

I haven't ridden the new 1200 yet, so people who have may disagree, but my view is that the MS leans more towards a sportbike with versatility whereas the 1200 is a heavily street-oriented, dual-purpose bike.

I think the GS would have the advantage for really long, heavily laden touring (two up with full luggage and the kitchen sink) and, of course, for whenever you want to blast down some unexpected dirt road.

But if you're not the iron butt type, if you travel light, if you're more sporting by nature, and if you avoid dirt, then the advantage could be to the MS.

The 1200 did not exist when I bought my MS. I considered, but decided against the 1150 because, among other reasons, of the size, weight and cost (where I am, the 1200 will cost a third more than the MS). Recently, however, an urge to get dirty has come upon me, so I'm going to look (just look, I swore to the wife) at the 1200 when it gets to my local dealer.

As to your specific questions...

My MS has been robust and reliable. I commute daily and play on it nearly every weekend. Your mileage may vary as a search of this site will attest.

I find it reasonably easy to clean and rust free, although I live where it never gets cold even if it rains a fair amount. Again, YMMV if you live somewhere where salt on roads is common. I'm having the shop do maintenance during the warranty period. Their comment is some otherwise routine maintenance is made more difficult because, for example, you might have to remove the airbox / seat or something like that for some routine jobs.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the bike is its versatility. Some people may view this as a lack of focus, which could be its biggest disadvantage if what you really want is a niche-focused bike. Me, I'm experiencing some split personalities, so the MS suits me for now.

For example, last week my mates and I humped up the highway for hundreds of kilometers for a track day. I was certainly happy to have the comfy ergonomics, comfort screen and panniers for that part. Once on the track, I was still happy, but obviously a dedicated track tool would have advantages. But next week, I'm loading up the boxes and going on a tour...after another week of commuting to work. You get the idea. The only place where the MS falls somewhat short for me is the "town bike" aspect. I find the relatively tall gearing awkward for stop-and-go traffic and I don't want to change the gearing as some have. The somewhat tall seat is also awkward for me in the city, parking lots, etc, since I have a short inseam. But if you're considering the 950, this probably isn't an issue for you.

Of course, what I really want is multiple bikes in the garage, but that's not happening for now, even though I have argued persuasively that the wife has multiple pairs of shoes in the closet.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I suppose the last two factors to consider will be the relative cost difference (again, where I am, the BMW fetches a significant premium) and whether you want to be the first on your block with a brand new model. You will see on this site how some of the early adopters of the MS encountered some of the initial teething problems, apparently smoothing the way for us later buyers...Don't know if the same will happen with the early buyers of the 1200...
prowen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote

As a moto-journo, I have just reviewed the R1200GS and found it a huge improvement over the 1150GS, particularly in terms of its lighter packaging, more accessible torque, improved suspension response, and trick new panniers.
So would I trade my Multi for one? No way. I'd miss the Ducati's quicker steering, and heightened sense of sportiness. Also the Multi has a better riding position (the bars are too high on the GS, presumably to encourage standing up while off-road). I'd love to own the GS as well as the Duke, purely to explore the gravel-surfaced roads that comprise almost 50% of New Zealand's network, but if forced to chose between the two, the Multistrada's extra ability to keep sportsbike riders honest would give it my nod of approval. If you can imagine your Suzuki single with a lot more torque, you'll have some idea of the flickable and enjoyable riding experience the Ducati offers. It'll carve a line up the inside of the Beemer in any given corner on any sealed road.
However the Ducati does require some pampering to keep it looking good, whereas the BMW appears more durable. Apart from a fuel gauge that's a drama queen (does any bike maker make an accurate one?), I have no qualms about the Multi's design integrity now that I've fitted a rear hugger, and front fender extension.
All the best for riding whatever is your final choice, Paul Owen, NZ
Lutz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:34 am Reply with quote

@ indy

if you search a bike for "all day use" you should not buy a Multistrada. MTS is definitly not a bike for the daily use in north european regions. You have to take care on her more than on BMW`s , you better dont drive her on salty roads in german winter, a.s.o.
That does not mean that MTS is a bad bike, but she is a Diva, not a working horse. If I must choose again, I would buy her again. My relationship with her is strong emotional. For me, and I tried BMW GS 1150 and KTM 950 too, it was the bike with absolutly the biggest fun faktor! Incredible but true. A big distance supermoto !!!

Try it!
Lutz
fiirestorm
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:37 am Reply with quote

Indy,
I bought mine 6 weeks ago. My choice was between a 2year old 1150GS and a new MST. I know of more GS owners than MST owners, but the GS has corrosion problems too.

I found the GS more comfortable and I love the looks Laughing

The things I didn't like are :

1) It is w-i-d-e
2) It is heavy
3) New it is 3000 euro more than a new MST, this may not be the case for you in de

The MST is :

1) Slim
2) Much lighter
3) In the UK available on 0% finance for two years Whistle
4) I get much better performance and it is much more nimble in the twisties and through London city traffic.

Plus I get two year warranty.

I have spent time cleaning and using a heavy wax protection stuff called waxoyl which seems to keep corrossion at bay. THe plating on the fasteners is absolutely terrible, really cheap and nasty. Many were corroded when I got delivery of the bike at 0Km. Will fit stainless steel items when available.

I guess for points 1) and 2) might not apply for the 1200GS, as it has a more powerful engine and is lighter than the 1150GS.

I would get an extended test drive on all 3 machines, one after the other and more than once ... then decide.
Indy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Thank you all for your quick response. You all had some very interesting answers for me and I'm pondering a few things.

I definitely do have a corrosion problem with my DR BIG. It's not really a serious problem but quite annoying. If I cleaned & oiled & waxed & polished the bike after every ride, I might get it rust-free in a few months or so. Unfortunately I rather spend the time riding it than polishing it. Plus I rode a few times during the winter so the salt from the streets might have had it's part in it too. But I can't help it, I must get out and ride when the temperature is above zero and the sun is shining ( january or not) Smile . So I would want my next bike just to be not as "corrotive" as the DR is.

@ MultiMan: I ride 25km to work in the morning and about 50-100km back home in the evening. I live near a bike eldorado called "Fränkische Schweiz" with lots of curvy roads and small valleys and steep hills. Although crowded on weekends it is absolutely funtastic riding on weekdays, so I nearly always take the long way home. Very Happy
And I wouldn't see versatility as a handicap. Just the contrary. It has to be ONE "can-do-it-all" bike for me.

@prowen: what special pampering does the ducati require (besides the occasional shower & shampoing)? oh, and what is a rear hugger (didn't find it in the dictionary)? hm, just looked up the dp catalogues: is it the rear mudguard?

@lutz: why do you call the Multistrada a "Diva"? Is she "zickig" sometimes? Laughing

@fiirestorm: wished the multistrada was 3000 euro less than the 1200GS here too. In germany they both have the same list price of 11500 euro for the basic model. Both going up to more than 15000 euros for a fully equipped one. Sad a lot of money. and also no 0% finance over here. I guess they sell enough ducatis in de anyway so no special offers are needed.

thanks again for your comments & cu

indy from germany
prowen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:48 am Reply with quote

By pampering, I mean washing after every ride, wiping away the droplets, and polishing. Bike hygiene isn't one of my strong points, but the Multi encourages me to do it. Obviously I don't ride it everyday. The rear "hugger" (sorry to use Brit bike mag terminology) I chose is DP's rear mudguard. It's thinner than other aftermarket items, but I see that as a plus to reduce unsprung weight.
PeeBee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:30 am Reply with quote

Indy wrote:

About the Multistrada:
Is the Multistrada a robust and reliable bike (suitable for everyday use)?
Is the Multistrada easy to clean and maintain? Does the bike rust?
What (in your opinion) is the best thing about the Multistrada? and what is the worst?

Indy,
I've owned a MTS for 12 weeks, after which I swapped to a KTM 950, mainly because I had a bad MTS. I'm not saying this is something that happened to many owners on this forum, but I got the short straw...

I don't think the MTS is suited very well for everyday travel in our European climate. My MTS still is for sale, last time I checked, and it does not look like a 3 month old bike. In fact, for a three month old bike it looks terrible (and I hosed it down every couple of days, and cleaned it entirely every other week). You mention 'easy to clean'; well, no.
Best thing about the MTS IMO: the engine and the injection. Worst: reliability (mine) and build quality.

About the 1200: it wasn't there when I did my test rides, unfortunately. Should be a great bike, a huge improvement over the 1150, which is too huge and heavy, IMO. The 1200 is awfully expensive in NL, by the way.

Leaves the KTM: it's hard to be objective about this, but I suggest you do make a test drive. It's range is from slow commuting to an absolute hooligan of a bike, that will smoke both the GS and the MTS. The more offroad layout is no real problem to the street handling: very precise, swift and agile. Could be because it probably has the best suspension in the business (WP). Plus: my 950 is also 12 weeks old now and still looks very newish. You have to be pretty tall, though... Smile
O, and any 950 will improve very much from a Sommer update (I did it too). More info at www.ktm-sommer.de
ingo
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:37 am Reply with quote

Hi Indy, i'm in the process of looking for a replacement of my GS1150 in the next few months too, and the MTS is high on my list too.
But other options i have are the Triumph Tiger, a more soft version of the MTS but a lotta fun to ride too. The other option is the Aprilia Caponord with a better wheather protection for our rainy season here in Hamburg, i still have to do a test ride though. The GS1200 was no option, it is better balanced now but suspension and motor are not comparable and far better on the MTS, and of course to many plastics on the GS now. And the KTM, from what i have seen not really good in reliability (a lot of coroded batteries for example) and high maintanence costs, compared to the GS and the MTS. And like with the GS you get no real feeling for the road, its because of the high suspension of course. I was amazed how well the MTS suspension even works on bad roads. Against the MTS, well for me useless mirrors, the heavy clutch and i have to test the other higher screens. And for better protection you have to buy the needed rear hugger and fender extender for the front.
Just my two cents..... Think