Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1000, 620 or ....
jeffpm
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm about 2 weeks to 2 months away from being able to pull the trigger on a Multistrada. Life just hasn't been the same since selling my '94 e900 several years ago and I want another Ducati (love the sound, love the power curve, love the upright riding position). While I thought about purchasing another e900 I decided I wanted a more modern version.

Last summer I test rode the 1000 and loved the bike. Over the winter I sat on the 620 and loved the fact that it is noticably lighter than the 1000. My riding will be commuting to work (16 miles round trip through city streets) and weekend day trips with the occasional longer stint. I ride solo 99% of the time (wife doesn't really like to ride).

A good dealer is nearby (Corse Superbikes in Saukville, WI) and I will probably go up to test ride both in the near future. Recently used versions of both models have been advertised in the area.

So, after several paragraphs of babbling, would the 620 have enough oomph or would I be better off with the 1000 or should I just wait and see (hope) if a 695 version of the Multi is released?

Thanks in advance for all comments and insights.

Jeff
Milwaukee, WI
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:41 pm Reply with quote

The 695 is supposed to have 10 more ponies than the 620, and, as long as you'll be waiting a couple of months anyway, you might as well wait and see if the 695 Multi materializes. Otherwise, the difference in weght between the 620 and 1000 is about 30 lbs. Not much in my view.
Ferrell75002
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:54 pm Reply with quote

I am not an expert on this at all,but I ride through city traffic everyday (I live in New York City) and I go on trips upstate NY,and to Atlantic City,Philly,and D.C. I am completely happy with the 620,I feel I do not need any more power than what I have. Driving in the city here,I can not go any faster than 40, 50 at the most on the little highways that circle Manhattan. Driving to any destinations I use speeds no more than 81 or that was my adverage speed driving down to Atlantic City over the 4th of July and needed to pass or get away from 18 wheelers (which make me nervouse) the 620 from 81 can easliy get up to 100 very quickly.
I do not ride with my girlfriend very much,but when I do I can notice some power being taken away,I am around 160-170lb. and she is 110-120lb, in the city it is fine,not sure how that would be on long trips or trying to pass those 18 wheelers.If,she rode more and we took longer trips together,I might have went for the 1000,but that is not my case,so in the end the 620 is perfect in my opinion. I hope this helps.
rasty
MTS: 2005 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote

I haven't ridden a 1000 and probably couldn't touch the ground anyway!!! but I am really happy with my 620. I can't imagine needing any more grunt than it has ( wanting maybe but needing -no). I can go as fast as most of the people I ride with, especially when it is a bit twisty and I don't seem to be far behind, if at all, when we hit a straight bit My commute is about 20km each way with a bit of heavy traffic and I ride the bike as often as I can depending on what lies ahead in the day, wet or dry no worries.

I am solo 100% of the time which makes a difference maybe plus I am an old fart which also makes a difference I guess.

Short answer, I am happy with a 620 (18000km and no problems) Very Happy
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote

jeffpm wrote:
I'm about 2 weeks to 2 months away from being able to pull the trigger on a Multistrada. Life just hasn't been the same since selling my '94 e900 several years ago and I want another Ducati (love the sound, love the power curve, love the upright riding position). While I thought about purchasing another e900 I decided I wanted a more modern version.

Last summer I test rode the 1000 and loved the bike. Over the winter I sat on the 620 and loved the fact that it is noticably lighter than the 1000. My riding will be commuting to work (16 miles round trip through city streets) and weekend day trips with the occasional longer stint. I ride solo 99% of the time (wife doesn't really like to ride).

A good dealer is nearby (Corse Superbikes in Saukville, WI) and I will probably go up to test ride both in the near future. Recently used versions of both models have been advertised in the area.

So, after several paragraphs of babbling, would the 620 have enough oomph or would I be better off with the 1000 or should I just wait and see (hope) if a 695 version of the Multi is released?

Thanks in advance for all comments and insights.

Jeff
Milwaukee, WI

Jeff, there has been so much speculation on the 'future' 2007 Ducati line that I would hold on buying for a few months.
In addition to that, the winter months will yeld good deals for you. Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
XSTRADA
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote

Read the Sep issue of MCN on the 695 Monster engine that just came out.

I was surprised and slightly shocked that the old tried and true 620 motor out performed the new 695 according to their testing.

So hence a 695 Multi makes no sense at all except for the slightly less service intervals... BFD!!

Razz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:46 pm Reply with quote

ps... I'm with Rasty on this one.

I love my 620!!

Razz Whistle Mr. Green Smile

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote

made an offer on an '05 1000S with 3,000 miles. Waiting to hear on financing.

Jeff
BikerRN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:23 am Reply with quote

If you are going to solo 99% of the time I would say, get the 620.

I have a 620 and a buddy has the 1000. We are both happy with our rides. He is able to take a passenger easier, but my wife rides her own 620 so I don't have the need to carry a passenger. In the real world the 620 has all the power to get you in trouble if you so desire.

I find it more fun to ride and use more of a bikes capabilities daily than to only use maybe 25% of a bikes capabilities. I've ridden 1000+ cc bikes, 250's, and various other scoots. To me the most fun is on a 250cc but the 620 has the speed to do anything in the real world that you may desire unless you are at the drag strip or on the track.
huskyduck
MTS: 2005 1000 DS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote

When my son & I decided on a multi, we spent weeks researching info, weighing all the pros & cons, and sat at the dealership for 7 straight hours making up our mind as to which to buy. What it finally boiled down to for us was........there was only $2000 difference in price in the two. They had a leftover 2005 1000 at a great discount. These discounts are again available on the 2006 models. For $2000 extra ya get.....better 4 pot calipers, larger rotors,better forks & shocks, better ground clearance (if your into offroading), stronger motor with a ton more midrange. And you also get that cooooool single sided swingarm, and a "music to your ears" dry clutch. I sure don't mean to hurt anyones feelings in their decision or choice, as I'm only stating what made sence "to me". But for my money, the 1000 offered a lotta upgrades for a mear $2000.
FloatingAxehead
MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote

The 620 has more than enough power for me in city riding, and everyone I talk to says it's far easier to flick around corners/more maneuverable than the 1000. If you're going to be solo and in the city, I'd say go for the 620 while it's still around.

I've heard from everybody except God Himself that there will be no other version of the MTS for '07 other than a 1000. I went out and signed the paperwork to get my 620 because the 1000 is way above my level of skill. Hell, the 620 is way above my level! Laughing

But then, you've ridden much more than I have, and the 1000 has the option of an amazing suspension. Also, the 1000 was nominated as Best Sport Tourer... not the 620.

Everything I've read suggests that once you get out of city traffic, for a more experienced rider, the 1000 is the way to go...