Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: dirty ability of the MS
Goto page 1, 2  Next
redweka
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:38 am Reply with quote

Could anyone please advise the ability of the MS to handle gravel roads on its standard setup ie tyres. It certainly looks as if it would sit up OK on a gravel road. I dont like getting put off a road just because it is gravel... Any of your experiences appreciated... here in NZ there's a fair few unsealed kms to explore. (Current bike R100GS)
Thank you
kenvvy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote

My experience is that the MS is truly a paved road bike - along the lines of any other sportbike. Though it looks more like a super enduro, when the surface is loose, the bike with standard tires slides around like any other. The wide handlebars give better control, but it is still skittish. A person could try to put enduro tires on the bike, but I don't know that the body work etc would hold up very well. It was built for the street. If you truly have a great deal of dirt to explore, you may need to go the route of the 1200 gs - IMO.
Multibound

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:37 pm Reply with quote

Thats a big negative. Best to consider a BMW GS1150 or some other big trailie. KTM 950 would be nice. Think

Rickster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:19 am Reply with quote

They should of named this bike Monostrada. It's a streetbike, sure you could take it in the dirt if you want to crash!
desmodummy
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:05 am Reply with quote

Rickster wrote:
They should of named this bike Monostrada. It's a streetbike, sure you could take it in the dirt if you want to crash!

I think the name Multistrada is very well chosen because I believe a strada is a surfaced road. Any italians here to correct me if i'm wrong?
Anyway, the Multistrada can take all kinds of it. From bad to good.
But you still need a road. Its definitaly NOT an offroad bike. Is has only got some off the riding position from that type of bike.
redweka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Sounds like fitting a set of knobblies would be the go! Wink
ingo
MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Look here http://www.multistrada.net/modules/mx_album/album_pic.php?pic_id=178 and here with the MTS GS klone http://www.multistrada.net/modules/mx_album/album_pic.php?pic_id=179 . I think we need some better protection for the motor first, but knobbies would be a nice idea ....[/url]
prowen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:11 am Reply with quote

Here's some homegrown advice redweka. The Multi's wide tyres don't like our high-crowned loose gravel roads. A BMW R1200GS with a 110 tyre on a 19" front, and a 150 rear on a 17" rear, feels more stable as there's more opportunity for the tyres to 'cut' through the gravel and reach the surface underneath. That said, I won't be trading my Multi for a GS any time soon, as I'd rather put up with a little more instability on the metal for the increased fun factor on the tar (quicker steering, better grip etc.). The Multi's plus over other road bikes is that the riding possie and wide bars does give you better control on loose or slippery surfaces. Just had a ball on mine at a wet Pukekohe race circuit, supermotard style. I felt like Jay Springsteen at a Grand National, inside foot down, going sideways!
Needed a steel shoe though, my road boots are all burned up
redweka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:36 am Reply with quote

I wasn't overly serious with the knobblie comment above! I'm not a hard out off road/adventure rider. But on a trip if it turns to gravel I don't care and enjoy it.

The MS only hit NZ shores last year and looks as if it is taking off. Should suit NZ roads fine I reckon.

I've got this thing like a bad itch that will not go away, I'd like a MS!

Time to trade up maybe..
PeeBee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:49 am Reply with quote

redweka wrote:

I've got this thing like a bad itch that will not go away, I'd like a MS!
Time to trade up maybe..

If MultiStrada is not enough, you should maybe test ride the WhatStrada? (KTM 950). It's a better street performer than the Multi is on dirt...

Oh and if you insist on taking a Multi to gravel on a regular basis: 180 wide dirt tires for a Multi, do those exist? The pics of that strange looking dirt bike show spoked wheels, most likely with smaller rims.

The Pirelli Scorpions are street only tyres and are specially made for the Multi, just like the big KTM has Pirelli Scorpions (!), specially made for that bike.
vduc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:16 am Reply with quote

I've ridden mine on a few dirt and gravel roads, it wasn't that bad. I was going pretty slow, the upright seating with the wide bars helped. It was definitely better than when I got stuck going nearly 10 miles on a dirt, very loose gravel road on my 900SS, I thought I was going to crash every few seconds.

My second choice was the BMW GS1150 which I would have got if I thought I would been seeing dirt and gravel more often, but maybe the not since it weights a ton Sad Now the new GS1200 maybe......

Vito
redweka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:57 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips folks. I do like that pic of that airborne MS but I wonder if there is an "after" photo. Did this fellow reach terra firma intact? Maybe that was what the attached article was about "MS rider fails in attempt to jump local canyon" or similar.
As for the KTM 950 or the R1200Gs that will be slightly out of my reach financially speaking. I'm hooked on the MS. One day....
ingo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Here is an article with a guy who landed the bike after a smaller jump :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=Multistrada

Seems that the MTS is made for that, i remember another of these flying MTS photos, but i don't know where i have seen it. As said before, i prefer to add a protection for the motor first.
gbenner

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote

The most recent Sportbike does a comparo of Multi and 3 others.

They say the Multi is quite good on dirt roads! Laughing

I would give some quotes but I just peruse the mags at the local Borders, usually don't buy them. Really nice article thoogh.
ingo

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Well i found more flying Multi's, seems it survived well :

http://www.superwheels.net/80/multistrada.htm