Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Why a Multistrada
Blue Buddha
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Hello. Completely new here and I have some questions.

This past weekend I took an extended ride through some very scenic albeit technically difficult terrain on the Arizona/New Mexico border. I have come to some conclusions about my riding abilites and habits and am looking at selling my SV650S. One option for my next bike is the Multistrada. Other potentials are: 1200 gs, Caponord, V-storm, ST3.

My riding style is fairly subdued, but I do enjoy a sporting ride. I commute nearly daily to work (about 140 miles round trip) through mountain passes. Top speeds are usually in the 80 mph range (when the cops aren't looking).

I find I don't want to keep up with the sport riders because I really don't want to be totally wiped out when I get to my destination. I'm also unwilling to allow myself to get a ticket for that type of riding style. I've also been looking at both Ducatis and Aprilias for a number of years now and am ready to take the Italian plunge. The SV was my first bike and I have about 17,000 miles on it.

My questions are, why did you choose the Multistrada? What other bikes were you considering? Is the speedo and gas gauge really that bad? Just how expensive is something like this bike to live with?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
BB
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote

First of all welcome Smile ,

As for your questions here we go: (you kinda reminded me why I got my Multi in the first place Very Happy plus a few extras I found out after I got it Wink )

Blue Buddha wrote:
I do enjoy a sporting ride. I commute nearly daily to work (about 140 miles round trip) through mountain passes. Top speeds are usually in the 80 mph range (when the cops aren't looking).

I must say (and most guys would agree I think), that this is the natural "habitat" of the Multi Mr. Green

Blue Buddha wrote:
I find I don't want to keep up with the sport riders because I really don't want to be totally wiped out when I get to my destination.

With the Multi, you'll find yourself going past those "sport riders" Wink (in those mountain passes) and also being much more "fresh" once you get to your destination Very Happy. So I guess there's a minus in that, you'll have to worry about the speeding ticket even more now Laughing

Blue Buddha wrote:
My questions are, why did you choose the Multistrada?

You said it all plus I wanted to be able to ride two-up without compromising the sporty handling & feeling.

Blue Buddha wrote:
What other bikes were you considering?

Monster S4R, but droped it as soon as I saw the Multi and never looked back (two-up is a "no go" with it, but the engine has more "soul" than the Multi's though).

Blue Buddha wrote:
Is the speedo and gas gauge really that bad?

No !

Blue Buddha wrote:
Just how expensive is something like this bike to live with?

I'd say 10-15% more than living with a Yamaha TDM Think

Doc

vduc

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:53 am Reply with quote

Blue,

I picked the Multi after riding the Triumph Tiger, Aprilia Caponard, and BMW 1150GS. If the Ducati ST3 would have been out at the time, I may have gotten that.

Out the first 3 my next choice was the BMW. The Multistrada won out for several reasons. The first being it was the best handling of the bunch, important since all I have owned up till that point was sport bikes and I didn't want a big drop in handling. Next was it weighed less, and was $4000 cheaper than the BMW. The Tiger, great engine way too tall for me, and Caponard it didn't do a thing for me. A 50 mile mountain ride on the Multi capped it off, the bike was fabulous.

I was using mine as a "commuter" 110 mile round trip for a couple of months until switching jobs. It was great minus the seat, a Sargent seat is waiting to go on this weekend.

If I was starting over today the new BMW 1200GS and Ducati ST3 would be seriously considered.

The speedo is fine, my gas gauge is very pessimistic. I use the trip meter anyway so it's not that big a deal. The only thing that I normally let the dealer do is the valve adjustment, so maintenance costs are a little more than a Japanese bike with higher valve adjustment interval. 140 miles a day could make for a lot of valve adjustments. Keep away from the aftermarket or Ducati Performance catalog and it won't be that bad Wink

Vito
Multibound

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:10 am Reply with quote

Blue, I came from the sportbike world riding bikes with over 140hp. Yes they are cool, but in the real world you cant use all the power unless your racing on the track. So the MTS is the perfect choice. Its much more fun at a slower speed, with comfort to boot. The upright riding position is much better on the back and shoulders.
And there is something majical about a Duc that you will soon love. Perhaps its the famous engine noise, the ride. Not sure.. Its really hard to explain. Think
Dont worry about the gas gauge stuff, just set the tripometer and ride on. My bike is so far flawless and purrs like a kitten. I love it.. And i get more looks as if im riding a damn alien space craft on the road. Surprised

hotschko

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:55 am Reply with quote

Why Multistrada ?
For me it is everything that Monster has + few things I missed on my M750

- superb bumpy roads "compatibility"
- more comfort without loosing any handling, driveability and sport character of the bike
- moooore power as M750
- there are only few MTS where I live Smile Cool
gbenner

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:58 am Reply with quote

BB

I had a Sv 650 before the Multi.

Currently i have a Multi, an Aprilia Tuono, 748, RoadKing and a Silverwing.

Comparing the Multi to the Tuono (not sure how close that is to a capanord) is like a Audi A6 to an S4, or a BMW330 to an M3.

If you want a more comfortable sport bike, get the Tuono. If you want a very comfortable upright "naked" that handles like a mutha, get the Multi.

good luck, greg
dlmarquez

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:18 pm Reply with quote

Apparently Aprilia is in fairly serious financial difficulty. I'd pause before spending $12+K on a new bike to make sure the long term prospects were good for the manufacturer.
hellbilly joker

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote

I was visiting Ducati Seattle last year. I wanted to ride all the new models and since my shop buys at least the value of a new bike worth of parts from Duc Sea every year, they let me have my pick. I started off on the 999. Yes it is fun, but I have spent so much time on superbikes that it really wasn't that exiting to ride in Seattle traffic. Then I got on the MS. I did not want to get off. My first though was 80 hp bmx bike, then I thought modified TDM 850, but its even better than all that.
I get mine Saturday, its black, and I have some of the best roads in the west between the dealer and my house. yeee haaw