Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: How much of a tourer is the MTS?
strongbird
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:57 am Reply with quote

OK, I know, I know you can tour on anything but how is the MTS for long days. How does it handle packing the bags and putting in 12 hour days back to back? How does it do 2 up?

Cory
Pleasanton, California
MrDuc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:12 am Reply with quote

I'll tell you on monday. Tomorrow morning I'm going to Germany for 4 days and I'll drive aprox. 1500km's.
GO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:46 am Reply with quote

Hi,

My experience with touring before buying the Multi, was with my old Yamaha FJR1300.

Main thouhts about Multi as a tourer so far (after exactly 1 month!):

- More windy than the FJR
- riding position very much the same, but with better place for the legs (longer distance to the footpegs)
- riding with two up is suprisingly better than expected. Of course some of the sporting capabilities are different with two up, but what can you expect?!?
- My girlfriend claims the Multi is better than the FJR (or maybe she wount dissapoint me?) Think

Anyway, all this is for bike that for the rest of the time, when not touring, is much more fun the my old FJR. And it has a lot mot character too.....

Enjoy life!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:20 am Reply with quote

Hi
Touring is no problem, as posted under 'Long Trip', Ive just got back from a return trip Nottingham, England to Arrezo, Italy (approx 1200miles each way). Each leg was an easy 2 day trip with a stop in Lucerne on the way and Mulhouse on the way back. Ive raised the screen to help high speed comfort and 100mph cruising on German Autobahns was easy. The bike didn't miss a beat despite freezing temperatures leaving Nottingham, snow in Switzerland and rain, rain, rain on the way back.
I had a tank bag and a Baglux Whoppa rear seat bag. Overall comfort was good and we averaged about 150 miles between fill ups, which equates to about 45mpg.
Have a good trip.
Martin
PS A photo of my bike at the Futa Pass is posted here http://www.multistrada.net/modules/mx_album/album_pic.php?pic_id=760 under Members bikes.
PPS Strongbird - have you ever bumped into a Steve Dickman on a Triumph, previously from the UK but now working in Pleasanton for a number of years ?
Multistrada1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:13 am Reply with quote

I did a week long trip last Thanksgiving. 500 miles in a day out to Big Bend Nat' Park, a few days riding all around, then 500 miles back. I had the factory hard bags and an RKA tankbag and I was packed for camping; tent, sleeping bag. The bike packed up great and ran like a top. I also had a blast riding, staying on backroads and running at speeds of 85-100 m.p.h. On the way back I did highway and ran at 75 m.p.h. I have the stock seat with the wool seat pad from Aerostich. I also had the higher windshield.

Here's the way I look at it.

The bike is very comfortable except for wind. Even with the higher shield, the wind wore me down. Heading home I fought a heavy headwind, and it just wore me down. I know it's not comparable to a true tourer, but given that, the bike is very competent but I would fear a long 2 week trip with long days in the saddle. I am afraid it would be pretty grim. This bike excels on back roads and having fun riding fast. Long stretches on highways is certainly I could do, but I would be rather uncomfortable.
madmatt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:16 pm Reply with quote

Did you just alter the angle of the stock windshield, or is that an aftermarket screen? If it is the stock screen altered I'd like to see how you modified it Very Happy I'm a taller person and with the stock shield where it is, all I get are bugs on my face sheild Mad
Multistrada1

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote

I have the Ducati comfort screen without the spoiler or lip. I am 5'9" and the comfort screen is a big improvment over the stock and still looks great, IMHO. The screen w/ the spoiler was not available at the time, back when Ducati was back ordered on everything for the Multistrada. I would probably buy the shield w/ the spoiler if I was to do it all over again.

Speaking of windshield and the touring ability of the Multistrada. My wife noted a big negitive for her when I added the taller shield. Because it kicks the wind up higher, the wind ends up coming up and over me and blasting her right in the chest. Now, with this shield, I get the wind hitting me in the helmet and shoulders. But the wind is buffeting her all around to the point that anything above 75 - 80 m.p.h or so is just not fun for her. Two up, I try to sit bolt upright to block her as much as possible. Long trips would be rough for a passenger.

Solo, the bike would be a blast on a long trip if one kept to backroads and only occasionally did Interstate.

I plan on going to Leguna Seca in July for the Superbike races, from Texas, and will take the Multistrada. Really looking forward to it!
slemers

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:37 am Reply with quote

Here's my take on the stock windscreen and the Ducuati screen with the lip.
I'm 6'1" tall. With the stock screen it was comfortable up to 50 mph or so.
At speeds above 50 the wind would hit me in the neck and upper shoulders.
With the new windsreen installed, the windblast hits me directly in the face shield. (As evidenced by a sticky goey mess of bugs on my last ride.
At sustained highway speeds I still get a stiff neck from the wind blast. But..It is slightly better with the bigger screen.
Haven't had a chance to try the screen without the lip.
MrDuc
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:01 am Reply with quote

After 4 days of touring through the Eifel I can tell you that the MTS is perfect for touring.
I only had 2 problems: the standard screen (already ordered the comfort screen) and a terribele pain in my ..... Confused So I definately need another seat.... DP, Sargent or something like that...