Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: No dealer within MILES - should I buy?
Alaskan
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote

I am riding a Honda Interceptor right now, and the thing just keeps on running with routine maintenance. I have been considering a MTS 1000 for awhile now, but I am scared of the reports of breakdowns and poor quality control (valve guides, piston/cylinders, front brake, peeling paint on the cases). Seriously, these problems wouldn't bother me too much if I were within easy distance of a dealer. I live in a very remote place - barbaric, really, as there are no Ducati dealers withing hundreds of miles!

The question is -- honestly, would you consider an MTS if you lived hundreds of miles from the closest dealer?
JohnB
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Think The best advice I could offer is keep the Interceptor ... and buy the Ducati. Every man should have a least 2 bikes. Cool
fmechini
MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Alaskan wrote:
I am riding a Honda Interceptor right now, and the thing just keeps on running with routine maintenance. I have been considering a MTS 1000 for awhile now, but I am scared of the reports of breakdowns and poor quality control (valve guides, piston/cylinders, front brake, peeling paint on the cases). Seriously, these problems wouldn't bother me too much if I were within easy distance of a dealer. I live in a very remote place - barbaric, really, as there are no Ducati dealers withing hundreds of miles!

The question is -- honestly, would you consider an MTS if you lived hundreds of miles from the closest dealer?

Air cooled Ducatis are good engines. If you are a decent mechanic you will probabily never need a mechanic ...

The best advise I can give you is:

DO NOT BUY A NEW MULTISTRADA

If I knew what I know now, I would buy a used one ... WHY

1- lower purchasing cost
2- somebody else has taken care of the nix and fixes so you just ride it.
3- it's broken in Mr. Green
4- some other bastard had spent $2,000 in accessories you get it for free.

Fred

2005 Red Ducati Multistrada "la signorina"
2003 Blue Suzuki DR650 "il muletto"
Alaskan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:36 pm Reply with quote

fmechini, that's not a bad idea. Buying a used MTS that has been maintained and has had the bugs (brakes, valve guides, oil line leaks, etc.) fixed might be a good way to go. So, you think that I won't be in too much trouble without a dealer nearby? Actually, my nearest dealer is probably Ducati Seattle - I would have to ship the bike down in a barge container if I needed to get it to a dealer. I can work on my Honda myself, but it really hasn't needed much beyond chain replacement, oil changes, coolant replacement - that kind of thing.
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Alaskan wrote:
Actually, my nearest dealer is probably Ducati Seattle - I would have to ship the bike down in a barge container if I needed to get it to a dealer.

Alaskan, a quick search on the Ducati NA site showed not one, but two dealers in Anchorage, The Motorcycle Shop and Alaska Cycle Center. Buy one, you'll love it.

Check out the dealer locator here:

http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/
atypical1
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote

How mechanically inclined are you? Can you check valve clearance? Can you adjust valves? If you can then go for it. That is really all that needs to be done to a 2v (and there are parts you can get that should help with the valve adjustment interval). If you cannot do that work then it might become a hassle depending on how many miles a year you put on the bike...

atwood
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy one without dealer support. Though its a fairly simple bike in concept, there have been too many warranty issues and potential headaches. Remember, even if you're mechanically inclined and can do the routine maintenance, when something happens that is potentially a warranty issue (excessive oil consumption or failure to idle correctly, etc etc) you don't want to mess with it too much on the off chance it could invalidate the warranty. The canbus/ecu/instrument cluster combo is not very serviceable by a home mechanic.

Stick to something that is more bulletproof, like a fz1 or something.

Just my $.02.
Alaskan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Steve B wrote:
Alaskan wrote:
Actually, my nearest dealer is probably Ducati Seattle - I would have to ship the bike down in a barge container if I needed to get it to a dealer.

Alaskan, a quick search on the Ducati NA site showed not one, but two dealers in Anchorage, The Motorcycle Shop and Alaska Cycle Center. Buy one, you'll love it.

Thanks, Steve, but I live in Southeast Alaska. This State is so big and transportation is so difficult that Seattle is faster & easier to get to than Anchorage!
Steve B
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Alaskan wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Alaskan wrote:

Thanks, Steve, but I live in Southeast Alaska. This State is so big and transportation is so difficult that Seattle is faster & easier to get to than Anchorage!

After I posted I thought about that. Living in the lower 48, I kind of forgot just how big Alaska is! Shocked Good luck with your decision.
Alaskan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote

Yeah, it's been a difficult decision and it remains difficult today. I love the Ducati approach to motorcycling and I really like the MTS (even though it proived a bit of a reach to the ground for me). If I lived in Seattle, no question I would buy one. BUT . . . I live in Bumpkisville - no dealer support for two days' journey from here. Sigh . . . .