Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: 1200GS or 1000S
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cellist
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote

I have a Triumph Sprint, and recently took a 1000S out for a test drive. I loved the riding position and the nimble handling. I want to trade, but feel like I should try out a 1200GS first. Unfortunately, none available for another month where I live.

I am strictly a weekend rider. I doubt that my rides will ever exceed two hours or take me off road (which is simply because I live in a city). I want a fun bike with a comfortable upright riding position. I am pretty sure that these are the only two bikes that I would consider.

Can anyone tell me what I could expect from a GS, compared to the MTS? Any thoughts about the difference in resale values?
badger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:22 am Reply with quote

1200gs will be heavier and seem taller. The front end is telelever and will have a different feel (some say more numb, others say more planted)--if you ride any of the R bikes, you'll get a sense of how it'll feel in a corner and on rough pavement.

The 1200's are much quicker than the prior 1150Gs. People really like them. The 1200GS seems to sell quicker on the used market than Multistradas of the same age (if that matters to you).

If you do your own maintenance, valves and TB syncs are a piece of cake on the R bikes.

Sounds like a fun decision. Very Happy

MTS: 2010 1200S (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quote

Hi Badger

It makes a nice change for someone to put an unbiased view of the r12GS on this site rather than the usual slagging off. Incidently the 12GS weighs in at 198kg dry so is a lot lighter than the 1150 but not far off the Multi (i think)

Regarding Cellist's question I always think that a good test ride on any bike that you are thinking of buying is the way to go, as this is the only real way of comparing two machines.

Having said that there are loads of threads on these two bikes if you care to do a search.

In my opinion both bikes are awsome so why not have both Laughing

MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:53 am Reply with quote

I owned a 1150GS for two years. I put 30,000 miles on it...loved it. It was the most enjoyable bike I ever owned...until I bought the Multi. The only reason I sold the GS is because I stopped at a Duc dealer on a trip to the mountains and demoed an ST3 and a Multi. They were so much lighter than my GS that when I got back on it to leave, it felt like it was tied to an anchor!

When I bought my Multi I took it for a demo ride (probably the 2nd time I had ridden one), then went right down the street and took a demo on a 1200GS. I fully expected to like the GS better. I didn't. I went back to the Duc shop, rode the Multi again and took it home.

All of this, of course, is subjective and personal. The BMW is a great bike, has shaft drive, ABS brakes, is easy to work on and can haul a lot of stuff. You can't go wrong with either bike. For for short trips and local runs the lighter weight of the Multi is a plus. Riding mine reminds me of riding a DR650 more so than the big GS. I am sure you will enjoy which ever one you end up with.

Shep
salmonsartistry.com
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote

A friend of mine just went to a GS from a Multi 1000s. He said that the most noticeable difference is that the Multi is way more nimble and doesn't even feel like it's under him compared to the GS.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:15 pm Reply with quote

The new R motors are much improved power wise from the 1150....bordering on exciting even.

I found the GS windscreen to produce even worse buffeting noise than the MTS screen, but that's a fairly easy change

the brakes were good and strong, but I didn't like how hard I had to squeeze the lever when the bike was off to get it to hold on a hill.

i didn't get enough seat time to really get a feel for the suspension, but following my buddy on his 1150gs makes one thing abundantly clear....they RAIL if you know how to ride one.

If I had the money for both, i would have both. It's a great bike.
adr88
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:41 am Reply with quote

I gave up a Triumph Sprint for an MTS. The Sprint was making my 60+ year old knees scream on any ride over 2 hours. The Multi is an all day affair. I love the Multis suspension, simply much more controlled, smooth, than the Sprints. But, sadly, I must say the every day convenience and comfort of the Sprint is better.

I might consider a Triumph Tiger as a replacement in a few years.

Dave

sprints
pirate
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:57 am Reply with quote

This is the first civilised discussion The Pirate has seen on this forum on this particular subject. Now where are our old friends Dennis and the Toad. The
Pirate thinks they are out there puttering around on their BM's. and enjoying life.

1999 TJ Wrangler Renegade
2008 JK Wrangler Renegade Unlimited
"it never got fast enough for me"
Hunter S. Thompson
BEWARE "THE BLACK SPOT"
stevespiers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote

I seem to remember the Pirate saying a good few months ago that he was preparing a proper comparison between these two bikes. Wonder what happened to it ????

It would be interesting to read as it would be written by someone that owns both and has spent pleanty of time in both seats.

My biggest beef is reading unsubstantiated guff from people who have either never ridden the bike or have only had a quick run up the road. Also so much is written by people that have a hatred for certain machines that the content is non factual farcical garbage.

I think it may have been Wayward that wrote that some riders feel the need to justify the ownership of there current machine so therefore tend to slag off other machines. No truer word said.

This site may be a Multi site but it doesen't mean we cannot discuss other marques whithout getting on our high horses about them. However I do beleive constuctive critisism is healthy and alternative opinions interesting.

BTW anyone coming over here for the Manx Grand Prix ? I did see a couple on a black Multi with hard luggage come over from Irleand, I think they are Italians, are they members of this site? The Island is perfect Multi territory, especialy when you venture off the TT circuit. The course is great but at TT and the MGP, the course is full of bikes and some are utter nutters who are wannabe racers (some of whom go home in a box) so it is well worth while exploring the 500 miles or more of other roads.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote

I took a 1200 GS for an extended test ride before I bought the MTS. I really had my heart set on the GS--love the looks and it looks so purposeful and well built--plus I really like the idea of ABS notwithstanding added weight and complexity. But I just did not like the way it rode. I thought tht suspension was harsh and the motor vibrated annoyingly, even though it is counterbalanced. I way prefer the ride and feel of my MTS 1000S and I also prefer the way the Duc puts down power--it is just very satisfying to ride for me.
Speedy1
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote

One of my ridding buds rides a GS and we have done many trips together. I have a good amount of saddle time on the GS and can say that it is a very nice bike. The differences that I notice are:

It feels much bigger all around
It sounds like a sewing machine
It takes some getting used to the front end
It had a lot of wind buffeting for me 5’8”
It has never broken
It lacks emotion
I never feel connected to it as I do the MS
It is capable in the twisted stuff
It carries more beer that the MS

You can’t go wrong with either machine. If you are not touring off pavement I would say go with the MS.

My 2 pennies.

stevespiers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I have been lucky enough to have owned both of these bikes and have covered many miles on both. I loved both bikes for different reasons, and it must be understood that they are two completely different machines. So direct comparisons are not easily justified.

The GS is taller and does indeed feel bigger but in fact is deceptifly nimble. Both bikes handle very well but the Telelever on the GS inspires massive confidence.

The GS only has a 20 ltr fuel tank but has a better fuel range and an accurate gauge. The Multi is far sexier looking where as the GS is an aquired taste.

Regarding two up touring the GS wins hands down, in fact it is one of the few bikes that is un fazed by carrying a pillion. Sure the Multi can do two up duties but the GS just does it better.

The screen and lights on the GS are crap basicaly but both can be sorted. Some say the GS is vibey but so is the Multi, show me a twin that is not eh.

The seat on the Multi could double up as an iroing board whilst the GS seat is all day riding comfy. Adjustable height too.

If long distance touring is your thing then a shaft is invaluable and maintanace free.

Some say the GS is not exciting, well I could not disagree more. I have just come back from a trip in Southern Ireland and I absolutely wrung the nuts off an r12GS and I still have not wiped the grin off my face. The rear tyre is all but melted, and my boots are scraped to hell. What a scream. Now I could also get ear to ear grins from my Multi no problem but I trashed the exhaust heat shield in the process.

My Multi got far more admiring attention than my GS gets period.

No one ever askes where the propeller goes on my multi Whistle

The servicing costs on my Multi were criminal, servicing on GS is fair and easily done diy. The GS motor is proven to last for thousands of miles if looked after, not many Duc engines last as long.

If your not a tall person the GS is a pain, I guess more people will fit the Multi.

The residal value of the GS is probably better than any other bike out there, so although it costs a bit more up front it will be worth a lot more a few years down the line no matter how many miles are on the clock.

Bottom line is try them both and decide what you need from a bike and then try to imagine if you can live with your choice. In my opinion neither will dissapoint both are excellent machines. If you can get passed the BMW badge and the pig ugly looks (it will grow on you) then the r12GS is probably more of an all rounder certainly a more efficient tourer but not as sporty as the Multi. Mind you a good man on a 12GS would be hard to catch, but I suppose the same could be said for any bike eh ?

My final statement would be the Multi has Style and Flair where as the GS has rugged looks but gets on with the job with style.

But of coures this is just one mans opinion and I could just be full o shit.
pirate
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote

[quote="stevespiers"]I seem to remember the Pirate saying a good few months ago that he was preparing a proper comparison between these two bikes. Wonder what happened to it ????
/quote]

Steve you are right of course ,The Pirate did promise to provide that comparison but has struggled with how to format it in a way that will do justice to the comparison. The Pirate may have to talk to Jantah or Wayward to try to figure out how it can be set up on the forum properly. May have to be an imported document that is somehow published on the forum. Being a Pirate and no computer wizard ,The Pirate may need some help with this.

There are many many things that are directly comparable between these two bikes, and then attempting to compare some of their characteristics is just plain stupid.

The Pirate agrees with much of what Speedy and Stevespiers posts here, but does have some points of difference which will be detailed in the comparison. The Pirate will try to get this sorted and posted in the next week or so.

Meanwhile here are a few of the Pirates conclusions after spending a couple of years riding both bikes.

1. The Pirate still loves and enjoys both bikes, and going to the garage to go for a weekend squirt or alternatively say a 2000 to 3000 K ride to the Island, or perhaps Queensland, its really hard to choose which bike to take. Both bikes are keepers and there is nothing else currently on the market here that would encourage a change, both bikes are simply too good.

2. There is no point comparing the relative off road and dirt road characteristics of these bikes as the Multistrada is absolutely useless in
these conditions while the GS is a highly competent all road bike allthough its weight does not do it any favours off road, and can be hard going.

3. The true comparison between these bikes lies in their sport touring cababilities, travelling long distances on sealed (tarmac/ bitumen) roads and carrying a bit of a load and perhaps a pillion doing say 800 to 1000Ks a day. Both bikes actually shine in this use and The Pirate thinks leave allmost everything else out there for dead as genuine sports tourers.

Which is the better bike? The Pirate will reveal all and why in the more detailed comparison to come , but here are a couple of little teasers.

The r1200gs is far a far better bike for carring loads.

On any day, from perfect sunny days to those with rain, hail , and strong winds the Ducati is a far better bike for a long distance ride and more comfortable, yes even with the bench seat. The bike is more aerodynamic,
provides better protection and suffers much less from buffetting winds.

However over a 1000Ks in a day door to door the Pirate doubts he would be more than a few minutes quicker on either bike, but definitely gets off the Ducati a little more refreshed and the boney Pirate arse is a lot less sore on Piere's original bench seat which has not been changed.

1999 TJ Wrangler Renegade
2008 JK Wrangler Renegade Unlimited
"it never got fast enough for me"
Hunter S. Thompson
BEWARE "THE BLACK SPOT"
stevespiers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote

Pirate I look forward to your impending report, however I do not feel it's a question of which is the better bike. These days most modern bikes are superb and indeed the two afore mentioned are both excellent machines.

I am not completely convinced that there are so many comparable things between the two bikes as some people may think. I feel sort of qualified to make such a remark having also owned both with several thousands of miles on both. (although I am definately not an expert)

I also believe that as no one is the same shape or size what one rider finds comfortable another may not. In fact I have found that 350 miles on the r12GS was a breeze but not so with my Multi. I much prefered the shorter blasts on the Multi but did find ground clearance a problem even with the preload whacked up. I destroyed three heat shields Laughing

With off the throttle wheelies and superb handling I found myself becoming a bit of a hooligan on the Multi Mr. Green Mr. Green

I would agree that the GS is excellent at carring a pillion plus luggage, not much fazes this bike.

I think this could be a debate that may never be completely answered as so much is down to personal opinion, preference and actual requirements from the bike, still it should make interesting reading.

Good look with sorting out your format Pirate a good few swigs o rumshould help Laughing
kiddie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:26 am Reply with quote

I don't know why you always compare the multi to the 1200gs BMW, they are two entirely different bikes.