Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Multistrada worth it?
Blue Buddha
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Hello. I've been lurking a bit here over the past few weeks and will hopefully take my first Ducati demo ride within a week or two. Looking for something different to harness the Arizona, USA roads.

My question: is owning a Multisrada worth it? By that I mean, dare I actually trade my perfectly wonderful 18,000 mile SV650S up to the Multistrada? I'm pretty lusty after the Ducatis in general, so that's really a no-brainer for me, but all these problems with the MTS that people seem to be listing (front brake chatter, poor seat, bad guages) are really troubling me. Would the extra bucks for the 04 model perhaps solve some of these issues or is it simply a color change?

BTW: I'm also looking at the Aprilia Tuono, the only other bike out there that really intrigues me. Thanks in advance for any advice and I apologize if these questions are repeats.
badittude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:20 pm Reply with quote

Hey BluBudda,
I have an American MS, and my bike has been trouble free, aside from an incredibly hard, uncomfortable seat that some factory worker in Italy surely stole from a 10 speed bike on the way to work and mistakenly fitted to my MS.
It is a ball, I want to hear the exhaust a little more, and a softer, more square seat. The one on it, feels like you are sitting on an official old west saddle fitted to a great dane.
I love this bike..

PS, make sure you get a red one. They are at least 5 mph faster than the other colors and much easier to wheelie.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:36 am Reply with quote

BlueBudda, I have a 04 Mutistrada as well. I've had a few problems that you mentioned. The brakes are the biggest issue with mine.
My speedo/tach assy was changed under warranty, no further problems with that.
As for the hard seat I opted to buy a cheap pair of padded bicycle shorts to wear under my riding suit. I had planned to buy the Sargent seat, but I'm on a self imposed budget as far as the bike goes. (Thanks to Gregg I believe for the tip on the shorts....)
The good thing about the forum is that you can see that there are a few problems, but the majority of owners are trouble-free or nearly so.
I've got another year to go on my warranty. Hopefully my remaining issues with the brakes will be sorted out.
If you like the bike after your long demo ride, put down your money and take your chances.
Steve
Rickster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote

I bought this bike because I really liked the upright seating position. It handles great but not any better than the Japanese bikes I have owned. All of the minor problems have carried over to the '04 models which should probably tell you something. It's a matter of personal taste, if you like the styling and want something different than the masses of crotch rockets out there, go for it. Is it the best bike for the money? Probably not but you will have a blast on it. Expect to wait forever if you want to order accessories. For some reason Ducati has a supply problem with their vendors. To me this is basic business but they seem to operate in their own world.
GO

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:16 am Reply with quote

Go for it ! you will have something different with a great character!

Remember, when people put their frustration into writing, it is easy to get carried away.

I was in the same situation as you in January /February. I read all this complaining on this web and was worried. But I have also been reading other webs about other type of bikes (BMW GS, FJR1300 and so on), and you will see the same effect there.

I love my bike, and I have decided to accept some minor issues in this ownership. Of course it is risk, but what the hell, this is what love is all about (I'm still talking about bikes....)
Laughing

GO fast - GO Multistrada !
bob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:39 pm Reply with quote

no dont do it i had a tl1000r and part ex it for a multi, i put termni kit on it and it still sounded like a hair dryer a bubble screen on it and a carbon hugger and all that cost in total came to £8,400 including the bike very expensive and still a bit short of a few horses... when i wanted to part ex it for another suzuki 3 ducati dealers would not take it from the suzuki dealer. finally found someone to take it i was offered £5.500 for it so i am now on a gsx 1400 and pleased with it.i have had a test ride of the tuono 120bhp and liked it ,but the girl friend was not happy on the back,
Blue Buddha

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote

Hey Bob, I've ridden the tiller (TL1000R) too and found it to be near torture. Too hot frame after only 70 miles on the road - literally was burning my legs and I wear kevlar lined jeans. Shocked The agressive seating was too much for me, found I had to really prep for my lines, etc. Anyway, that's not the bike for me, and I have a stock SV650S - way different beast than the tiller. BTW: The tiller was really in its element though on the 70 mph twisties. Very Happy Good bike overall - just not for me.

No; I would prefer a more upright seating. The sound of the exhaust does not interest me (blashphemy, I know) but I wear ear plugs and just enjoy the ride far more than the sounds out the rear.

I do not need pillion accomodations - so no worries there.

Thanks for your answers and replies - they are very helpful in my decision. If I don't enjoy the bike, I will go back to the SV line, or Aprilia, or Moto Guzzi or Kawaski... too many choices!
Multibound

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I FRIGGEN LOVE MY MULTISTRADA!!!!!!!!! It does it all with a crappy gas gauge, and thats it. I LOVE IT!!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile

Enough said..

Prof
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:03 pm Reply with quote

Me too!

MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:44 pm Reply with quote

The second most enjoyable moment for me, is when I approach the garage in the morning to take her out for a ride Very Happy Every time I see my Multi (just before a ride) I know I've chosen the right bike for me and the ---> Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green comes on my face.

Of course THE most joy I get is while riding, whether it's just everyday back'n'forth to work, a B roads tour with friends, a daily 600km trip or a weekend with my girlfriend.

So if I had to do it all over again, yes I would do it again and again and again and..... Very Happy

Doc

multi_SF

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Blue Buddha,
I have an '03 US Multistrada w/ 2300 miles on it and I LOVE it. It has the usual fuel gauge problem and I had to put a DP comfort seat on it, but other than that I have experienced none of the problems described on this forum. My brakes are excellent (and I ride hard on them) and the engine works great in town and on the coastal mountain roads that I ride. The bike handles well in city traffic and potholes, is ergonomically comfortable all day on the road and eats up twisty roads. I traded up from a Monster 750 and have never regretted it for a moment. The Multi is faster, has better brakes, holds more fuel, is more comfortable, is better 2-up, has hard luggage, and even manages to generate some interest when parked. I know that reading this forum can give one the impression that the bike is a headache, but that has not been my experience at all. IMHO, it's an excellent machine that handles every riding condition I've thrown at it.

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:58 am Reply with quote

I like my Multistrada although I still have some issues that need attention.

My advice is to go for the 2005 model or a late 2004. They have changed the mirrors, the seat and the side stand and they will change the fuel gauge....so the only issue left is the brakes.

...but then again I have not had any problems with the brakes.

Go for it, you will like it!

//Pigdog
bob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:23 pm Reply with quote

Dont get me wrong the multi is a brilliant idea, and a good bike,
I have had a few v twins in the past and the suzuki engine is a lot better
But things like the mirrors,seat,instrement misting up, Exhaust tone (cat converter)why put one on a motor bike. stuipid side letter box storage ( they could of got rid of that and made the tank bigger,put a side exhaust on, and there could of been storage under the rear seat)on the 1400 there is 10.5 ltrs of storage ,The 17 ich wheels great,choice of good rubber,fantastic single sided swing arm
I would not be supprised if they put that 3 valve engine in it soon. AND I THINK THIS A BRILLIANT WEB SITE THANK YOU
Blue Buddha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Finally I have a free Saturday and will be taking the MTS for a test ride this week. This will be my first Ducati ridden - and yes, I'm very anxious Very Happy Won't be able to take it very far, but hopefully I will be able to take it to the base of our big mountain in town - that's where I'm anxious to see this bike at work. Who know's if I'm going to like it or not?