Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Question—Multistrada or ST3?
nanbil
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:58 pm Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum, and don't yet own a Ducati. I currently own a 1992 Yamaha TDM 850 (a great bike, too bad Yamaha doesn't import it into the U.S. anymore) and will probably replace it with either a MTS or an ST3. If I buy the ST3 I will keep the TDM and use the ST3 for sport touring duties–if I buy the MTS I will sell the TDM as the MTS will be used for both touring and commuting. Knowing that Ducatis are not the most reliable machines around keeping the TDM as part of the ST3 purchase is a nice option.

I realize that this is a Multistrada forum and that as such you will be biased toward the MTS, but my question is as follows: is the MTS reliable enough to be a daily commuter, how does it compare to the ST3 in regards to power, comfort and handling, and does Ducati have any plans to fit the MTS with the ST3 engine?

Thank you

Bill
Doc
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:22 pm Reply with quote

nanbil wrote:
does Ducati have any plans to fit the MTS with the ST3 engine?

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum,

As for the above the answer is no (at least for now and with the current frame/fairing design, see air-cooled vs liquid cooled engine etc).

As for your dilema, If I were you I would sell the TDM and either go for the ST4s Very Happy or the Multi Mr. Green . In general ST series excels in power and very long tours but Multi out-does it in every other aspect imho.

Happy picking your bella Bill Smile

Regards,

Doc

rickko
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Hi Bill,
My previous bike was also a TDM 850. The MTS is more powerful than the TDM and has far more caracter. As you can read on this forum the MTS is a bike that provides everything from a lot of problems too a lot of fun, horsepower and attention from others.
My MTS has shown no problems at all (until now).

In my opinion if you want a bike for home-work travel every day you have to buy a BMW or some rather dull japanese bike.
Succes with your choice.

Rickko
el_hoppy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:29 pm Reply with quote

Nanbil,

nanbil wrote:
Knowing that Ducatis are not the most reliable machines around

I think you view of the modern Ducati is a bit off the mark. I moved from the Multistrada from the ST2, which I had for 6 years. I never had a reliability with the bikes when in regular use. I only ever had problems after leaving the ST2 idle over extended periods. Yes there are a few problems with some Multistradas, but nothing to stop your daily commute.

The Multistrada is definatly more fun to ride to around town and alpine roads while the ST is better for high speed touring. Personally I don't think the MTS needs the extra power of the ST3 engine, unless you want to venture above 200kmh.

Regardless of which bike you get, the TDM will just gather dust!
Tomster330

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:01 pm Reply with quote

I had this same dilemma today at the Ducati dealer here in Austin. I've been considering the MTS vs the BMW 1200 GS, but really liked the look and feel of the ST3. Certainly, the ST3 seems the better buy in that you get a funcntional seat, functunal wind screen and functional rear view mirrors. They even manage to throw in a center stand and $800 side bags for the same price as the MTS. Which certainly begs the question to be asked........"Why are these two bikes priced exactly the same?

My only concern with the ST3 is the forward riding position. At 46 years old, wrists and lower back comes into play.

The 1200GS flat out rocks but would chime in at $16,000 or so before taxes.......not sure is I need that much bike.
Rocker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote

If I hadn't already bought the MS I would have certainly considered the ST3 ( in yellow) however it doesn't come with panniers (saddlebags) as standard in the UK. Also being the liquid cooled motor servicing will be even more expensive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Hi,
On Saturday i had the chance to ride the ST3 at the dealer's show room. I liked it and i found it smooth and more powerful than my MTS. I don't know how it would behave in twisties. On highways, i find my MTS a bit behind and i would prefer the ST3 on highways.

Regards,
Spyros
prowen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote

I too considered the ST3 before buying my Multi. What swayed me was the air vs liquid cooling debate. To me air-cooled engines have an elegance and visual appeal that liquid-cooled alternatives lack. Then there's the ST3's bland design. It's no 'alien sex monster from outer space', if you get my drift.
nanbil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote

prowen wrote:
Then there's the ST3's bland design. It's no 'alien sex monster from outer space', if you get my drift.
I actually like the looks of the MTS—but then I also like the looks of the MK 1 TDM 850 (91-95) Cool

Bill