Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: I see a MTS in my future....
johnnyquest
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Johnnyquest from Tucson, AZ. I was able to answer a few of my questions by reading the threads in this forum, but I have a few more that I hope you all can answer. A little background on me, 35 yrs old, 2yrs/18,000 miles experience, most of which was long trips in my first year. I commute whenever the weather allows on my 1990 k75s. It's the only bike I've ever owned and has been a great first bike, reliable, fun, forgiving, enough power for freeway travel. I love having hard bags and enough fuel on board to ride 200-225 miles.

My first love was a Monster, a 620 Capirex which I almost bought brand new as my first bike. I'm glad I listened to friends who told me I would outgrow it too fast. I still love the look and the idea of the s2r/s2r 1000 but realistically I don't think I'd like living without hard bags and a center stand.

So, now...after visiting my local dealer to look at the eye candy, I'm considering the MTS. I was lucky enough to see a 1100s out front when I got there, just sold. I was able to watch him fire it up and ride away, looked beautiful in black.

OK, my questions...is the new wet clutch on the 1100 the "slipper" clutch on the s2r? What is the consensus on the available hard bags? Worth the $900 asking price? The guy at the dealer told me you can get a center stand for the MTS, but the brochure didn't mention one...is there one available? Lastly, I read that the marchozzi/sachs suspension on the standard MTS 1100 is adjustable, as is the Ohlins units. Since they're both the same sized forks and they're both adjustable, what's the advantage to getting the Ohlins? I have a feeling the standard suspension will feel like a huge improvement over my old Beemer, and I don't ride very aggresively or do track days, but I understand from reading the other threads that it's a good deal over buying the units after the fact and will help resale value.

I'd also love to hear about fuel economy and insurance costs. I'm thrilled that all the new Ducs have a longer service interval, but I'd like to guage the cost of ownership to help me decide how soon (or late) I can get one of these beauties.

JQ
sally101
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote

I can answer a couple of those..

Yes there is a centerstand. Only complaint I hear is that more aggressive riders tend to scrape it in hard turns.

Average MPG for most tends to be in the 40 range. I get exactly 40.

The Standard suspension is quite good on the MTS. If you are a middle-of-the-road rider (like myself) you would probably not be able to tell the difference with Ohlins. Either way getting your setup tuned correctly is key, but that's not tough.
kneepuck
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:56 pm Reply with quote

I did not purchase the hard bags initially. But went back and got them - yes they are worth it. Very well designed and thought through. They do have an odd shape, so fitting a laptop can be tricky. Mine have been water tight (note my location - we know about water Whistle ). Since before that I only troued with a tail pack, I have huge amounts of room with the bags.

As far as the slipper - not to my knowledge. It is just a straight up wet clutch.

MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote

I love it! Your question on the clutch is no it is not the same. This bike is Ducatis first with a "wet" clutch. I had 900SS prior and see no performance difference other than less noise. Not sure about the hard bags. I have always used soft ones. They seem to work fine in the dry Tucson climate. And... Steve threw them on the deal! Yes you can get a center stand. But.... if you add a performance exhaust it will not fit. The Ohlins suspension works great for me. I do tend to ride at higher speeds. The road bumps are very well dampened. My 900SS had an Ohlins in back and it was bullit proof. Steve said that for the cost and price point. He does not order many without the Ohlins suspension. Have not riden a multi without it so I can't compare. I would go with the Ohlins just from a quality and performance perspective. Steve is very good about test riding. I road the 06 and 07 4 or 5 times prior to buying. Ask him for a ride if you have not already. My mpg is running about 42 but I have not finished the break in yet. Insurance for me is $380/6 months, full coverage, 48 years and clean record. Keep in touch. Let me know if you buy a MTS. Let's ride!
johnnyquest
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Seems all my questions are answered! And that's good to know that when the time comes that Steve might be able to throw in the bags for free, that would make getting the S model easier to swallow. And thanks for the input Kneepuck, if anyone would know about water intrusion it would be you pacific nor'westerners. My sis lives in Seattle and I have a feeling when I get a MTS (around the time I retire from the military) I'll be taking a week or two and riding up to see her. She rides a Honda Shadow Aero, great for her short inseam, and is always telling me about great roadtrips she takes in the summer. Good to know my stuff won't get soaked! Here the dust tends to be a problem, again good to know that they fit tightly as to keep all the dust out.

Mlindorff, would love to go riding sometime, even before I become a ducatista. Once this weather clears and I get over this chest cold, I'm going riding again.

Sally101, thanks for answering the center stand question, I think I'm one of those riders you mentioned that won't be scraping much of anything unless it's an emergency.

thanks for all the info, have a great new year!

JQ[/i]
Habanero
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Actually the centerstand works fine with most performance exhausts, the Staintune header has a center stand stop welded right on it.

I think the Ducati/Givi bags are great, very secure and watertight.

Let me know if you ever come up to Seattle, I'd be happy to show you some great riding roads.

Scott
wayward
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote

Habanero wrote:
Actually the centerstand works fine with most performance exhausts, the Staintune header has a center stand stop welded right on it.
The center stand stop is an available option on the Staintune header kit. It doesn't cost any more to get it but you have to ask for it when you order it if you want it. From what I got from others recently is that the Termi header kit is not compatible with the center stand because the it blocks the mounting point for the stand or something like that.

johnnyquest
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:03 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info, I'll have to keep Staintune in mind if I want a centerstand, or keep it stock...but what's the fun in that, right? hehe

JQ