Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: New here
Olaf
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:53 am Reply with quote

Nice to have found this forum. I'm thinking of getting a DS 1000 and am grateful for the experiences shared.
Presently I'm living in Switzerland, riding a BMW F650 and think of the DS as a long-distance tourer.
Now, how crazy do you think is that?

Olaf
Bounty
MTS: 2010 1200S (Black)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:05 am Reply with quote

Watch out ! the Multistrada has one huge flaw: it's extremely addicitive ! Mr. Green You will need special therapy to let go of the handle bar....

With all the mountains around Switzerland, the MTS is an exellent bike for all those twisting roads.

True, on highways you will never be as comfortable than with a GoldWing, but the MTS is very capable.... you won't use the F650 much (if your intending to keep it)

http://www.ArsFabula.com - Mes pages perso
Multistrada1
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:00 pm Reply with quote

I would say the Multistrada would make a fair touring bike with some modifications and allowances. I rode a BMW R100RS two up with camping gear from Texas to Alaska round trip, so any bike can go cross country. To make the Multistrada tour worthy, in my opinion, the seat would have to change. I can't take mine for more than two hours, much less a 10 hour day. The windshield would also have to be changed; I get serious neck strain after any kind of distance at highway speeds and up. The shape of the tank will really limit options on tankbags. The range is limited, I can't go beyond 160 miles without stopping. Two up would be pretty uncomfortable, the passenger seat is slanted down and on rides my girlfriend is constantly having to push herself back or she slides into me. I would also want to change bars, the stock bars keep my wrists bent rather than in line with my forearms, this would lead to some serious soreness on long rides. With the optional rear rack, gear might be able to be strapped down. I have the saddlebags, large, on order so cannot comment on those, but reviews here are promising. I plan on working on mine so I can go crosscountry on it, but not two up. I love the MUltistrada, without a doubt the most fun I have had on a motorcycle, and that comes from someone with 250, 000 miles on BMW's, over 10 different models. It's going to take some work, and modifications, to make it a bike I can do 500-600 mile days on. AT best it will be a compromise, but a fun one!But if I could only have one bike, and I wanted to do serious touring but still tear up the mountain roads, I would go with a BMW R1150GS. But I don't have to own just one bike! So a Multistrada is in my garage, along with an old and trusty BMW R80GSPD.