Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Cagiva GC Upgrade to MTS question: to do or not to do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
GeorgeCLS
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote

I very much like my Cagiva GC, however, am obsessed with the Multi. However, having difficulty in actually investing $12,000 U.S. in the multi in that in the GC I have: a wonderfully comfortable seat, usable mirrors, wonderful Ducati sound and a distinctive bike that gets attention when parked.. i.e. a lot of aspects which I am going to have upgrade with the Multi immediately; namely the seat, the rear view mirrors, the sound..

Bottom line, to you who have now owned, ridden, especially any former Cagiva GC owners, Is the Multi Worth it??? Is the riding, the machine worth the investment compared with the GC???
Thank you,
George Morrison, STLE CLS
Columbus, Ohio, usa
TonyE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:44 pm Reply with quote

When I purchased my MTS I traded my 99 Cagiva GC and a 2000 Triumph Tiger, and I have never looked back. The MTS handling alone makes those two feel like a Honda mini trail. I had to upgrade the exhaust on the Cagiva to get the Ducati sound, and I have done that also with the MTS. As far as the seat goes, thanks to one of the other posters I purchased an Air Hawk and have been happy ever since. I have gotten used to the mirrors, so they are no longer an issue.

I am planning a ride from San Diego, CA to Portland, OR on the MTS next month, I would have never thought to do that on the Cagiva.

I hope this helps...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Tony,
Wow, another Cagiva owner AND to move up to the Multi Strada!!! Smile
Thank you so much for taking time to post your thoughts.. And yes, part of my longing for the Multi is a bit of frustration with the GC.. It does not really "love" the curves and is a bit heavy, ponderous compared with what I "think" the MTS may be like.. Yeah, I do not go down the road really smiling like I continue to read the MTS folks do; love the sound but.... I think you know exactly where I am coming from.. And no, I would NOT set out on such a trip as you are on my GC either.. Going the 20 miles to Quaker Stak & Lube on Wednesdays about does it for me...
Again, thank you so much for taking time; very much appreciated.
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000
rous44

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:14 pm Reply with quote

George CLS,
There are several of us on this site who have traded thier GC's for Multistradas. As similar as I thought the bikes would be, they are completley different.
The GC is more of a true dual sport. I miss the the mirrors and the seat, and the ruggedness of the GC. But, if you enjoy going fast through the twisties and a lot more power, you'll love the MTS.
In retrospect, I wish I would have kept the GC as the two bikes are completely different riding experiences.
GeorgeCLS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:43 pm Reply with quote

And yes, that is one aspect of the GC I am not so fond of. Having come from a much lighter bike, the GC seems heavy. In just sitting on the Multi, it feels (stationary) much lighter. We do not have a demo Multi anywhere close so will be unable to ride before purchase.. That is the great part of this site as the honesty of statement is incredible..
And thank you for taking time.. Much appreciated..
AV Lubricants Inc.
Columbus, Ohio
614-492-2000
TonyE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote

George, good luck with your decision, as long as it doesn't put a financial burden on you and you are not planning any dual sport rides with the MTS than I don't feel you'll be disappointed in the least.

I just purchased a set of Joe Rocket saddle bags and a rain suit for my trip to Portland, OR. I will be riding about 3,000 miles in approx 4 and a half days. I will let you know how the trip goes.

Take care.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:51 pm Reply with quote

George
I sold my GC prior to the MS release intending to buy when they came out.I took two test rides one extended and came back impressed
with the bike.
Overall I was very impressed with the bike,but it had one problem
that I am very sensitive to and that is more vibration in tha bars than
the old 904 in the GC.I decided not to buy the MS,bought a SV1000
instead.I have since learned that the vibration comes from the
change bore and stroke with the rod length remaining the same
as the 904.The different stroke to rod length ratio changed the
balance resulting in an increase in vibration.To use optimum rod
length would have meant a dimension change in the upper end height
of the engine cylinders.
Obviously this is not a major problem to most people that have
bought the MS.To me it was a step backwards from the 904.
I miss my GC.The SV1000 is a great bike but I miss the Italian
style.
Mike
GeorgeCLS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Thanks so much Mike. Gosh this is the first comment re vibration I had read about the MS.. And you are correct in that the GC has little or no vibration in the bars..
It IS a problem for me in that there are absolutely no Multi's in central Ohio offering road trial much less an extended one..
Tough to plunk down significant dollars; but this site certainly makes it a much better possibility.
Again, thank you for your comments.
George Morrison
Columbus, Ohio
1999 Caviga GC
slemers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:09 am Reply with quote

You might consider buying a cheap airline ticket and going to a dealer that has a demo that you can try out. Just a thought. I tried a demo last year in SFO while I was on business in San Francisco. That ride sold me on the Multistrada as a replacement to my last bike.
The only problem is that you may end up with a new motorcyle and a return airline tiket.Smile
GeorgeCLS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Great suggestion on the airline ticket which brings back deja vu this exact scenario.. I did just that same suggestion in 1979, visiting my sister in San Fran; went to local Ferrari dealer to oogle. While oogling, wife negotiated with a guy and handed me a set of keys to a Ferrari 308.. I drove it back to Columbus 3 days later. Had to eat the return ticket but it was obviously worth it..
"The Rest of the Story"
I made a deal with my wife when we got married if we ever got a Ferrari (or mid-engined car) I would quit my 3 pack a day Winston cigarette habit.. And I did....
George Morrison
TonyE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote

I returned from my San Diego - Portland, OR round trip about ten days ago. The trip length was about 2600 miles, my longest day on the bike was 12 1/2 hours (Medford, OR - San Diego, CA) and 800 plus miles, with the bonus of splitting lanes in Los Angles rush hour traffic towards the end.

I fitted Joe Rocket soft saddle bags, and a Cortech tail bag to the bike, no scratches to report from the saddle bags. The only issue with the soft bags is that when they are fully loaded the plastic body work is compressed very close to the exhaust (I have fitted the Staintune exhaust). I have a stock seat with an AirHawk fitted (this drew many fans at the Ducati Northwest event in Portland) and the comfort screen with the lip. Also Dunlop D208ZR tires which I am extremly happy with.

The bike ran perfectly, I was completly amazed at how easy it was to ride this bike that sort of distance. After a good nights sleep I was always ready to get back on it and ride another day.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:05 pm Reply with quote

I also trade in a 99 GC for my MTS and as said before they are very different machines. I so missed the offroad abilitites of the GC I went out and bought a KTM 950 which is has much more in common with the GC only a lot better. I really loved my GC it will always have a special spot in my heart as far as if the new bike is worth the $ It depends on your finacial situation if having the new bike means a payment orr dipping into your retirement funsd I think I would keep the GC a bit longer if you have some extra cash that your going to spend anyway then hell yes its worth it. Just remember they are very different machines the MTS is a street bike only

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Tony,
Thanks so much for your trip report with the Multi! Very much appreciated..
I was so discouraged last week to find that the local Honda/BMW/Ducati dealer actually had a demo Multi, which unfortunately, they sold the day before I found out about it!!
Again, thank you...
Columbus, Ohio
mgoblue
MTS: 2003 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Any new thoughts on how the two bikes stack up against each other? I'm particularly interested in how they differ on a fairly tight, twisty road.

Thanks in advance...
bromike666
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote

WHAT, you got a Ferrari because you quit smoking??? Man, I made a deal with my wife and got ripped off. My wife is a vegetarian and is a sometimes full vegan. She is healthiest when she adheres to her vegan ways. I made her a deal that I would quit my 20 year 1-2 pack a day habit if she would stick to being a vegan. It's been two years since I smoked but she had a piece of cheese two days later.

F*ckin hell, I got ROBBED!

As for the Multi test ride, I rode one for twenty minutes, went home and got my check book and rode it home. Do the SF trip and ride it back. And have your wife call my wife!