Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Considering A Multi
duc-dog
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:49 pm Reply with quote

Ran across this site the other day. I've read a few posts here and there and it looks like a great site and a good place place for some information and feedback. I have been riding bikes for 36 years although the last number of years found myself too busy to ride. I sold my beloved Z1-R a few years ago (which I owned since new) to a collector overseas. Since then it seems something has been missing in my garage. Over the last year I have been doing some research on what type of bike to buy should I jump back in. The Multi seems to be at the top of the list. Other considerations are Yami FZ1, 07 Triumph Tiger, Buell Ulysses although I did some saddle time on the Uly and the limited steering lock is undesirable.

I would be doing a multitude of different riding and the most off road would be a gravel road in all likelyhood. Being from Canada bike would be used 6 months of the year only. I have looked at the 07 and from my research it has bigger displacement, slightly more hp and torque, wet clutch, better fuel guage, anti vide Hbar mounts and perhaps a few other goodies. The S model I don't think would be worth the extra coin for me. The other consideration is a new non current. I have found a new 04, and a new 06 S model. Used machines around here seem non existent. I have only seen one of these on the road over the last few years. I think I would like to stay 05 or newer and would seriously look at the 06 with Ohlins over the 07 (06 is cheaper too) Is there enough with the 07 to grab one over an 06? As far as maintenance intervals I see they have been reduced seems due to performance and stats over the years. Thus could one follow the 07 maintenance schedule on an 05 or 06?

I'm certain to have more qustions. The other issue is relaibility. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away. How do these rank on reliability?

BTW I have actually never ridden a Multi. Any help would be appreciated.
Multi Rider in Md
MTS: 2007 1100S (Black)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Duc-dog,

I am new to Ducati/MTS ownership; however, I can tell you that after test riding the 06 and the 07, selecting the 07 1100s was an easy choice for me. The real tie-breaker was the clutch.

Regards and good luck,
Chuck

75 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport
73 250 Bultaco Pursang
bone
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:20 pm Reply with quote

duc-dog wrote:
Ran across this site the other day. I've read a few posts here and there and it looks like a great site and a good place place for some information and feedback. I have been riding bikes for 36 years although the last number of years found myself too busy to ride. I sold my beloved Z1-R a few years ago (which I owned since new) to a collector overseas. Since then it seems something has been missing in my garage. Over the last year I have been doing some research on what type of bike to buy should I jump back in. The Multi seems to be at the top of the list. Other considerations are Yami FZ1, 07 Triumph Tiger, Buell Ulysses although I did some saddle time on the Uly and the limited steering lock is undesirable.

I would be doing a multitude of different riding and the most off road would be a gravel road in all likelyhood. Being from Canada bike would be used 6 months of the year only. I have looked at the 07 and from my research it has bigger displacement, slightly more hp and torque, wet clutch, better fuel guage, anti vide Hbar mounts and perhaps a few other goodies. The S model I don't think would be worth the extra coin for me. The other consideration is a new non current. I have found a new 04, and a new 06 S model. Used machines around here seem non existent. I have only seen one of these on the road over the last few years. I think I would like to stay 05 or newer and would seriously look at the 06 with Ohlins over the 07 (06 is cheaper too) Is there enough with the 07 to grab one over an 06? As far as maintenance intervals I see they have been reduced seems due to performance and stats over the years. Thus could one follow the 07 maintenance schedule on an 05 or 06?

I'm certain to have more qustions. The other issue is relaibility. The nearest dealer is 2 hours away. How do these rank on reliability?

BTW I have actually never ridden a Multi. Any help would be appreciated.

You can't be sure how to value the difference between the '05/'06 and the '07 without taking both out for a ride. Unfortunately, canadian dealers seem very resistant to allowing test rides of new vehicles (less so for used ones) so that may be tricky to arrange.

The best plan of action might be to get a test ride of the '06 or '04 and then find out when the Ducati Ride Day will be passing by your nearest dealer - they'll have an '07 that you can ride.

There will still be differences like how run-in the bikes are and how they were run-in, but it's maybe the only way to get a taste of each... and personal experience is really the only way to differentiate between the two for you.
huskyduck
MTS: 2005 1000 DS

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote

Really wouldn't matter which year you buy, as it's a win win proposition.

If cost is of major concern, go for the discounted 06/04 model.

Reliability wise, the DS motors have been reputed as the best motors to ever come out of the factory. There are some niggles here and there, but overall--extreamly reliable.

Just realize, no matter which model you buy, you WILL be spending a bunch of cash for a proper exhaust. It's something ya just gotta do. So go ahead and factor that cost in to the decision making.

Good luck in your quest !!
Your gonna love the MTS.
sailwa66
MTS: 2004 1000 DS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote

See if you can ride a used 04-06 model.

The changes to 07 didn't change the character of the bike (I personally like the signature Ducati dry clutch chatter) enough to make it much more desirable or valuable. As stated, the DS motors are proving quite stout, and have the rev range the Uly sorely lacks.

All the Multi needs for dirt road/two-track duty is a decent set of tires, Pirelli Syncs or Dunlop D616 are good choices.

S or non-S version is a polarizing thing around here. What everyone can seem to agree on is the fact that the standard Showa suspension is quite decent to begin with.

One ride, and you'll be hooked! Mr. Green

Ducati Multistrada Adventure/Off-Road Gear: www.strada-avventurosa.com
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote

Here's a topic on reliability. There are many more:

http://www.multistrada.net/forum/viewtop...;highlight=ugly