Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Used Mts1000=Rolling the Dice?
shadow
No Multistrada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote

I live in Southwest, Florida. Closest Dealer is 1 hr. away and appears to be incompetent.

Which leaves me with a 3+ hr drive to get it serviced at a dealer. However, supposedly there is a guy 2 hrs away from me that is one of the best Ducati mechanics in the US(he's not authorized,though). I can live with this drive to get 6k, 12k, etc.. services.

My problem is the valve guide issue. I've searched the site and can't figure out if DNA is covering it out of warranty or not. Some say they are, others say if your tight with your dealer you got no problems.

I dig this bike and really want one. My better half just decided she wanted to start riding with me and 2 up on a Supermoto just doesn't work.

Ps- Where on the engine is the eng. number located?

Also, if your in the southeast and selling a standard or "s" model let me know.
squid vicious
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Dealer support is a very valid concern. But if you like the bike, you like the bike.

It seems the valve guide issues showed up between 6-12K on the bikes that had a problem. Finding a later bike that has already gone through atleast its 6k service will significantly decrease the chance you'll run into a problem.
Aprilia997
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Gray)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:26 pm Reply with quote

My multi is in the shop now for the 6000 mile service and is supposed to get the guides done at the same time. I will post as to if they cover out of warranty guides for a second owner. My servicing dealer has the service records from new but as to second owners being covered there is a question or two about this. The estimate for guides without DNA covering it is right around $1000.00 plus shop time for installation of new ones.
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:46 pm Reply with quote

My 04 MTS has 20,000+ miles and no valve guide problems. The service manager at my dealership said their is no serial number break, that the valve guide problem isn't a problem wiht the guides or the material the guides are made from but a valve shiming issue at the factory. He said if I haven't had any problem by know, I won't have a problem.
I bought my Multi used, no regrets.