Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I replace my Monster and KLR with MS?
Paul D
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:57 pm Reply with quote

My first post so hello everyone.

The guys on the Monster list will kill me, but I'm considering selling my M750 along with my KLR and getting...something else. I love the Monster but the bike seems to be spooked. I have been in 3 get-offs (none my fault) and two more parking lot drops, plus one building painter overspray incident. Total 3 dented tanks, 1 custom paint job, and an array of slightly scraped and speckled parts I haven't replaced.

Meanwhile, I bought the KLR last year as an indestructible urban commuter, rain rider, etc. I outfitted it with an array of guards to make it withstand the stuff that's been so hard on the Monster. It's been great--I like the upright position and overall safe feeling. But it's too slow, I don't use its dirt capabilities, and it's not stable enough on the highway or in the twisties. I couldn't be happy with it as my only bike.

I'm considering a Strada, or a DL650 or DL1000. My heart says MS, because I'd hate to be without a Duc. (I wouldn't consider anything but a 90 degree twin Shocked ) I'd like to think it will never go down, but realistically I need a bike which can be somewhat tough in an urban 'incident', or at least reasonably inexpensive to fix. What do you think? Should I swap both bikes for an MS or should I stick with what I've got?

rous44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote

Paul D
I think the MS would be the bike. Have you seen the DL 1000 in person? It's huge, and doesn't look to be very nimble for city driving. I came from a Cagiva Gran Canyon, which has similar traits as the MS: upright riding, air cooled V, etc. The MS represents a modern evolution of that bike.
If you only rode in town the KLR is a pretty good UAS ( Urban Assault Vehicle). And there is not much you could do to hurt the looks of it.
Good Luck
spo002

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote

Paul D wrote:
I need a bike which can be somewhat tough in an urban 'incident', or at least reasonably inexpensive to fix.

Ducati's are expensive. Much more to that add the fact that the multistrada has a fairing which will cost you 2000 euros for each side if you drop it.

That was ahat a friend of mine paid for his bike which fell of the stand.

My Strada was knocked on a wall with the front fairing by a car and the codt is: 780 euro for the screen + small fairing around that + fairing around the light. I find it quite expensive

You love it; you pay for it! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:11 am Reply with quote

Well, as a new multi owner I have to say first off I love this bike. Second, I was looking into getting a KLR. Then my wife made up my mind for me. I wanted a Duc, so here I am. I thought I might buy a KLR and ride a bit off road. Then my wife said, why not buy a cheap dirt bike? No biggy if you trash it. So i got the Multi. Think of it as a big super moto bike. Very Happy But remember its not cheap to get parts for. If you think it might get rashed easily, keep the KLR as your scrapper, and get the Multi for the serious stuff. I opted for the multi since I don't fil on the monster, Being 6'2" i didn't feel comfy with my long legs Very Happy Plus its new, and people look at it like"what the heck is that?" here in Harley town, milwaukee. Shocked
Paul D

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:18 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm 6'2" also, and the Monster is just this side of too small, especially since I put on the clip-ons. All the Ducatis seem to be on the small side except for the Strada.

multi_SF

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Paul,
I'm also 6'2" and just sold my M750 and purchased a MS last month. As others have said, and you already know, Ducati's are not cheap to fix, so the MS doesn't fit that criteria any better than your M750. My MS has never been down (yet) so I can't comment on what gets dinged.

What I can tell you is that I do not regret changing from M750 to MS for a second. Though the MS is heavier, it does not feel like it when I'm in motion. The bike is exceptionally well-balanced and changes direction very easily. The MS has much more power, stops better, is more comfortable, more versatile, and despite the upper fairing, still has that mostly naked air-cooled motor hanging under a trellis frame. I live in SF too and find the bike works about as well as my Monster for lane splitting but handles the terrible condition of our pavement (e.g., Mission, Fell, Oak) a lot better. The wider bars and tighter turning radius make the slow going easier as well. And on a ride from the city up to Bodega Bay and back I really don't miss my Monster. No experience in the wet yet, but I hear good things on this forum.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote

i owned a 2000 monster 900, sold it last fall and got a multistrada. i loved my monster. it was in great condition and ran well.

but, i am completely satisfied and happy with my decision to go with the multistrada. it handles much better, is much more powerful, has a stronger midrange which makes stop and go driving easier, and it is bigger. i'm only 5' 10", but i find the multistrada much more comfortable and stable on windy highway days as compared to the monster. it is more comfy on trips, and my wife can actually ride with me now.

frankly, i was surprised at just how much better i thought the MS was as compared to my 4 year old monster.

i'd say go and make the change.

one thing that was a dissappointment, but i guess this is always the case with trying to sell a used motorcycle, especially something like a ducati, is that i had to lower the price quite a bit to actually sell my monster. i had several guys interested constantly, but i started at i think $7200 and lowered it some every couple of months. i finally sold it in about 7 months at a price of $5800. the bike was in great condition, and had termi's, and i thought it was worth more than that. but maybe not. i got 4 years of fun out of it, and i paid $9500 for it new. so it held 60% of its value in 4 years. maybe that's not so bad....but i still think it was worth more.
Paul D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:58 pm Reply with quote

I'm bumping my own thread because I am getting close to making the move. The Monster and KLR are up for sale and I am getting nibbles. I'm wondering if anybody has any OTD prices to report from Northern California. I looked at an '03 yesterday with 4400 miles at a BMW dealership. It has DP hard cases, a centerstand and an open clutch cover. The odometer had been disconnected for half of that so I think the gauges were replaced. It was very nice to ride and much faster and more comfortable than my M750. They want about $11K out the door, which doesn't seem like a very good deal even with the extras. I would greatly appreciate any comments. Thanks!

slemers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:13 am Reply with quote

Munroe motors offered me a Gray 04 demo in June of last year for 11k out the door. No set-up etc. They called me at home and said they could get me the color I wanted for the same price. These bike had 250 miles or so, but no bags or extra of any kind.
I loved the demo bike but decided to buy in Portland, Ore. Warranty claims seem easier for me to negotiate w/the selling dealer. Maybe this isn't the case in real life. But that's what I based my decision on.
I bought my red 04 for 11495 in Portland in June 2003.
Steve
kensell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quote

Paul,

I bought a 2004 MTS with 1400 miles, hard cases and a rear carbon hugger from a BMW dealership in Tampa for $10,000 out the door last December. Based on that, and some of the other prices I've for MTSs, I'd say the price is high, especially for a 2003 model.

I also had a 2004 demo bike lined up at the Tampa Ducati dealership for $11,400 out the door. No goodies, but only it only had about 200 miles on it. I decided to pass on it because I didn't know how much I'd be riding. I bought a 1999 Monster M900 instead. A month later I saw the MTS at the BMW dealership and couldn't pass up the deal.

Ken
slemers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:03 am Reply with quote

Checked the bluebook today at the local BMW dealer in Portland. The wholesale value for the 2004 Multistrada is 7450.
High bluebook (retail) is 10250.
So it would appear to me that you should be able to buy a nicely equipped 04 for 9500 or so.
Paul D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:51 am Reply with quote

That was a good deal, Ken! I'm not going to jump at this one, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. I have to sell at least one bike first Think