Multistrada Wiki
  About us
 Login

Username:

Password:

Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: What's the MS Story?
Putt Putt
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:20 am Reply with quote

:think:The MS looks interesting. What's the story? I am happy with my 96 900 SS, Ohlins fr & r, FCRs & 11:1. What's the deal with a MS? How does it handle compared to a SS set up like mine. How are they in the canyons? How much do they weigh and how is their power for sport riding? Replies from some with small chick strips appreciated. I'm wondering why so many MS riders came from Harleys. Would I be happy with a MS? Thanks 4 any info
falcofred
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quote

You just got to demo ride one and see for yourself. I presently have my 01 Aprilia Falco listed for sale on CycleTrader.com. As soon as it sells, I'll start shopping for a MTS. It doesn't have as much HP as the Falco, but I like the seating position, and you just feel at home on it right away. It's really easy to ride quickly, just glides over any pavement irregularities, such suspension.
ian916

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote

i had a '98 Superlight/900SS. The numpty has a complete different engine feel to it; it feels a lot lighter, - so spins up without that feeling of effort that the old 2 valvers have. The engine feels smooth like my 916 really. The wide bars make it feel so control-able (excuse the bad English but you should get my meaning). The seating position means you feel like you are above everybody else - so own the road, - for a Duc it is really flickable left to right etc. Does not feel so planted and solid on long open bends, - say above 80mph, - the long travel suspension gives a bit of wobble, but nothing anywhere near as bad as jap-cr4p bikes, - it is just a case of dig ze knees in and hold on tight. It is a bike that imo does like to be ridden hard which is perhaps why some of the non-Ducati understanding VFR type of boys have a few moans about Numptystrada ownership.
It took me a couple of rides with my quick mates to work it out really. Like all Ducs you have to put effort into it to get out what it is really made for. You do have to counter steer and for me, - sit forward super-moto style and weight and unweight the footpegs to corner best. It reminds me of my hooligan days when I had a Yam RD250LC and i would pi55 off every big bike owner by stuffing it u the inside braking into bends, or passing them on the outside on a roundabout. Dpn't know what a vCanyon road is but here in the UK bike fun has to be taken off of the big A roads onto B roads and lanes whwre the Police don't go (so much) and the MS is the quickest bike out ther i think. My numpty will turn quicker and later than mates with 998R's, - I can place the bike on any part of the raod and she will still turn in, - none of this having to raed every drain cover and line of mastik, make sure i brake in the exact right spot. Just brake late, let the back wheel bounce and lock up on the down change, the wide bars will allow you to control the opposite lock, then just lean her over and wait for the aex, wack the throttle oen, bobs ya uncle, fannys your aunt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote

and as for the Harley bit? Not a clue about that one, Ducs like to be ridden and don't have 2500mile service intervals, - and yes i have ridden Harleys, - brother with a Hard tail, friend had a 1200 Sporster (only bike his dominating wife would let him have) and have to say that they are the worst most dangerous bikes I have ever ridden. Worst handling, worst brakes and such a gutless engine.