Log me on automatically each visit

Problems signing in?

Register

Forum index -   Wanna buy: Should I buy the MTS 1100 for my first real bike
Goto page Previous  1, 2
rummaggio
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:44 pm Reply with quote

I started on an MTS 620 and recently bought a 1000s DS. The main reason for the switch was going 2-up, fully loaded in the mountains (perhaps 10,000+ passes.) If it had not been for this trip across country, the 620 would have stayed with me for a long time. It was my first bike and did well in the city, on the twisties and local 2-up.
vern748
MTS: 2006 620 (Red)

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote

I think the MultiStrada 620 is not a reasonable first bike. Before I get flamed, I have my reasons. If it did not cost $6000 + Used and $1000 for replacing the plastic, then it would be perfect.

Do the math. 1 fall over every other month, 1 off-road excursion every six months, 1 bad accident in your first 2 years.
2 Clutch levers @$89
3 Brake levers @$89
1 Rear Brake lever @$150
1 Left Side panel @$234
1 Right Side panel @$234
2 Mirrors @$150
+/- $1150 after 2 years of riding, and that is if you are lucky. This also does not include the 3+ months wait for the parts to arrive from Italy.
(Prices from BikeBandit except for the rear brake lever. Not listed in Bike Bandit so must be a Ducati only part) Think

CBR600 Brake lever from the local bike shop $20. Wait time, 2 minutes as the dude at the counter gets off the phone with his girl.

As a new biker, the bike will fall, the parts will get broken. You will buy that $90 ducati/brembo brake lever because you swore that was your last tip over...AGAIN.... Shocked ...it wasn't. Get the CBR, the SV, the nighthawk. Throw it down the road. After a year or so, get the MultiStrada. You will be sooo much happier.
FemBot
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote

A used CBR 600 or SV 650 would cost half as much and you wouldn't worry (as much) about tearing it up.

I haven't dropped a bike on the street since the '70s, but now that you mention it, I did drop them more than once in my first 3 years of riding. My '06 R1200GS has scratches on both sides from taking soil samples Shocked But off road on a 550 lb bike is a different ball game.
Scrambles
MTS: 2006 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:50 am Reply with quote

3 strikes and you're out! Laughing

MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote

Scrambles wrote:
3 strikes and you're out! Laughing

I got him covered.

MTS: 2007 1100 (Red)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Well, I bought it. So far, the power is not an issue at all - once you get get the feeling of the initial play and roll of the throttle. The bike feels good for me as well based on its physical size and my build, etc. Sure, it can tip over at low speeds if you're not careful with your balance and/or counter-balance, or too twitchy on the throttle. FYI - I am 36 years old, 185 lbs, 5'11" guy with a very cautious and calculated mentality. In addition to being technical and coordinated, I plan on breaking in my new MTS 1100 with the care and respect that it deserves. The safety course was great, and my other biker friends and colleagues are a wealth of knowledge. So, I am continuing to ride, absorb knowledge, and have fun.
chebello
MTS: Not specified

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote

You did it, i am happy for you.
Be careful, especially during the first year. This bike is fine and comfy, but it is something like an illusion, the power is harsh even if you are low in the rpm.

MTS: 2005 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote

Vino4 wrote:
Well, I bought it. So far, the power is not an issue at all - once you get get the feeling of the initial play and roll of the throttle. The bike feels good for me as well based on its physical size and my build, etc. Sure, it can tip over at low speeds if you're not careful with your balance and/or counter-balance, or too twitchy on the throttle. FYI - I am 36 years old, 185 lbs, 5'11" guy with a very cautious and calculated mentality. In addition to being technical and coordinated, I plan on breaking in my new MTS 1100 with the care and respect that it deserves. The safety course was great, and my other biker friends and colleagues are a wealth of knowledge. So, I am continuing to ride, absorb knowledge, and have fun.

Yeah, the Ducati is about the heart first, and it's not easy to resist the temptation. Just be careful, I started riding the 1000 after 3 years with a 600RR and I don't think it's a lot slower. So actually this is a very fast bike, which requires attention.
Have a nice, long season!

MTS: 2006 620 Dark (Flat black)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:37 pm Reply with quote

imho, any bike can be a "first bike" if handled with care. It's all about the rider, not what he/she is riding.

You can get a Hayabusa as a first bike. If you proceed cautiously and intelligently, you will be fine. The fact that anyone asks if so-and-so bike is ok for a first bike is a big clue that they are ready for it.
VTMulti
MTS: 2005 1000 DS (Red)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote

I have 8500 trouble free miles (well, one uneventful "close call" on the Appalachian Gap) on my first bike, a 2005 1000DS, Mileage includes 3 overnight jaunts - and I plan a week long 2000+ mile trip to eastern Quebec in a few weeks. I know my riding has improved by the speeds I am comfortable with on roads I frequently travel. My secret: read, practice, read, practice.... and be very careful. Don't out- drive your field of vision, because your (my) ability to respond to emergencies is less than it could be when I have more experience.

Also, it helped that I ride in a very rural area so I got a lot of miles behind me before I had to deal with much heavy traffic.

So go for it.

RB
thicks
MTS: 2004 1000 DS (Black)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Go for the beater then spend the jing for a new one.....just in case....the multi is the best bike I have ever owned....2004 1000ds
hattrix
MTS: 2006 1000S DS (Black)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:32 am Reply with quote

I just bought mine today. I bought a Suzuki a year ago and rode it quite a bit. When I tested the MTS 1000 S, all I could think of was thank God I didn't buy this as my first bike. Seriously, I am not just saying that for this post. I really thought that. I told this to the sales guy when I got back. He said it was definitely not a good idea to have it as a first bike. I think it is important to learn the basic real life skills of riding before you have to worry about messing with too much power too. It just is not a good idea to get this as a first bike. Early riders typically fall into one of two categories, those who have laid their bike down, and those who haven't laid it down YET. You don't want to experience the lay down with a bike like the duc. Too expensive. Just my thoughts. You are welcome to disagree.